Computers & Electronics

What can I do about slowdowns with my Rogers Hi-speed in the evening?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2009 6:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto

What can I do about slowdowns with my Rogers Hi-speed in the evening?

I live in Toronto (High Park area) and my downspeeds during the day are great (9 to 9.8 as per speedtest.net). From approximately 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm, the downspeeds are terrible and range anywhere from 1.5 to 3 as per speedtest. I've called Rogers and they said it was my router (wrt54g v2, stock Linksys firmware). I didn't think that the router was the problem because I am able to hit 9.5 consistently with my router during the day when many people are at work or school. I removed the router and connected the modem directly to my pc. Guess what? The speed didn't improve at all.

Is there anything I can get Rogers to do to improve the speed in the evening? I doubt it but I thought I would ask here. I'm seriously thinking of going back to Bell since I could get a consistent download speed of 6.5 or higher.
46 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15680 posts
1215 upvotes
GTA West
1. I found that power cycling the DSL Modem did give a noticeable speed boost.

2. Call and complain.

3. Switch to DSL.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Power-cycled the modem about an hour ago and it made zero difference. Changed the splitter as well and it also made zero difference. Stuck at 2.

i tried speedtest.net just now and the downspeed has increased to 4 Mbps. Ping latency is still around 50 ms.

If there was a problem on my end, I can't seem to find it because the speed increases each night and, after approximately 11:00 pm, it's almost back to normal without me making any hardware/software changes.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9159 posts
796 upvotes
Not much u can do, everybody get home from work and start surfing the net. Then goto bed at around 11.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 10:51 pm
Not much u can do, everybody get home from work and start surfing the net. Then goto bed at around 11.
I'm not sure that's a complete explanation because this started happening over the past 2 weeks. I never dropped below 8 Mbps down, .4 Mbps, and pings were between 20 and 25 in the evening. Pings have hovered around 52 in the evening for the past two weeks.

Jan 22, 2009
256 posts
North York
same here in richmond hill, because your neighbours are downloading crazy,but I switched to dsl, will cancel rogers tomorrow
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
It's getting slightly better now.
ImageImage
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
ffkly wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 11:03 pm
same here in richmond hill, because your neighbours are downloading crazy,but I switched to dsl, will cancel rogers tomorrow
Who is your dsl provider? Are you getting close to the advertised max download speed?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1390 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
same problem with mine...its terrible
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
whoever made that comment about dsl is wrong.

with dsl your speeds are always the same regardless of what time of day it is.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Results from speedtest.com @ 7:05 am, EST from Toronto server:

Again, no changes whatsover to software or hardware changes. This is with my wrt54g running stock firmware over a wired connection.
Jun 4, 2007
617 posts
48 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 10:59 pm
I'm not sure that's a complete explanation because this started happening over the past 2 weeks.
Yup. Same thing started happening for me about 2 weeks ago. An I'm not talking downloads, just simple browsing. It's terrible. I have yet to call Rogers about it... but I already know the answer :( .
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
trust me guys rogers knows.
if you call you will get the routine power down the modem powe back up...clear your cookies blah blah blah.
and they will act like nothing is wrong.
× < >