• Apr 22nd, 2013 6:26 am
Tags:
None
Apr 1, 2012
980 posts
96 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

What can i do now?

These 3 trees we inherited from previous owner. we think they block the nice (?) view of our place but provide privacy to the entrance. wife wants to replace them with a magnolia and a rhododendron. pic 1 taken from our front steps and Pic 2 taken from the road (of a cul de sac) in front of our building where our place is located.
Pic 1:
Pic 2:
Pic 3: (from our drive way)

questions are-
a. in Scarborough, do we need city permission to take these trees out?
b. will it be a good idea to replace these trees with proposed 2?
c. can we plant new two besides those three and take them out once the new two takes proper/bigger shape? (will the new ones be able to flourish besides the old ones at all?)
d. any other thing that we should consider?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2334 posts
228 upvotes
Waterloo
I would take out the center one definitely as its clearly affecting the two on the side. AS for choosing to replace the other ones, thre is a couple of othere factors.
1. These are evergreens.( magnolia or rhododendron are not )
2. It would take years to get them to a good size.
3. While on the surface, blooming rhododendron or magnolia is a great idea. Consider that they only bllom for a few weeks and for the rest of the year they will be bare branches or just a plain tree.
4. When in bloom, They might increase the pollen count around the house.

I don't live in Scarborough , But I doubt that uprooting these will cause the city any concern. Also If you want to Plant a new tree around these, You'd have to go at-least 4-5 fee away from away from these. I find that these ( and other) evergreen trees ) trees give off chemicals which inhibit the grouth of other plants around them.

You could also just leave the center one in and take out the other two , which would I think give you the privacy yet leave open your property. Without the trees on the sides, It would grow much bigger in a couple of years.

Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2162 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa
The two outside ones look like junipers to me. Personally, I'd take them down. I find them prickly and ugly. They only look good when young (some of the ground-cover ones are nice too) They're just shrubs, so problem cutting them down, but some people get a rash from them, so wear gloves.

I wouldn't cut down the middle one until I knew what it was. (Easier to tell in person or at least when it leafs out) I like Supahhh's idea of leaving the centre one in to see if it gets bigger and fills in. Check for dead wood though, it may need pruning if it has been neglected a few years.

Does salt get deposited there from winter snow (from the street)? I'd rule out magnolia and rhodos, if so.
May 14, 2007
640 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
If you go with magnolia, be very careful with your choice. Most magnolias are trees, not shrubs - I have a 35 foot tall one in my backyard. Make sure you know what you're getting.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10435 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto
It is a matter of personal taste. I would take down all three trees. It would enhance the curb appeal of the house. There are no intersections that I can see and so the trees are not that important to privacy.
[OP]
Apr 1, 2012
980 posts
96 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
OttawaGardener wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 6:38 am
I wouldn't cut down the middle one until I knew what it was. (Easier to tell in person or at least when it leafs out) I like Supahhh's idea of leaving the centre one in to see if it gets bigger and fills in. Check for dead wood though, it may need pruning if it has been neglected a few years.

Does salt get deposited there from winter snow (from the street)? I'd rule out magnolia and rhodos, if so.
middle 1 was having all green leaves during the summer. but beginning fall they turned to blood red. we dont know the name or species.
we dont use that much salt on drive way. so less chance of salt deposition.
× < >