• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2015 3:43 pm
[OP]
Feb 4, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

What can I expect on the G road test?

So I've held a G2 class license for like 3 years now and I want to go get my G. Is the test just about driving on the highway? I will probably go to the Etobicoke since it's the one closet to me.
However, I would be willing to travel farther if it means getting a more recent test date. I've also been trying to think of any possible bad habits to remedy but I can't think of any.

Any tips?
12 replies
Sep 15, 2010
659 posts
186 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
Go to Lindsay Ontario...that's where all the bad drivers from Toronto go.I think there's like 6 traffic lights on the main street.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11154 posts
2130 upvotes
Toronto
Fayzee wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 12:06 am
So I've held a G2 class license for like 3 years now and I want to go get my G. Is the test just about driving on the highway? I will probably go to the Etobicoke since it's the one closet to me.
However, I would be willing to travel farther if it means getting a more recent test date. I've also been trying to think of any possible bad habits to remedy but I can't think of any.

Any tips?
I just went and got my G license straight away many years ago...skipped the G2.

As far as I remember, you will be taken to drive on a Highway as you said.

The person testing you will focus on how you merge with the traffic on the highway from the ramp...how smoothly you switch lanes...if you are giving the proper signals.

So make sure your speed when merging on to the highway matches the highway traffic speed...and ALWAYS show that you are paying attention all the time to the sideview and rear view mirrors...and give the proper signals when changing lanes.

You may or may not be tested again for your 3 Point parking and driving in schools/house roads...but that may have applied to me only since as I said I went straight for the G license from the beginning.

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Jan 29, 2014
461 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionsy wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 12:39 am
I just went and got my G license straight away many years ago...skipped the G2.

As far as I remember, you will be taken to drive on a Highway as you said.

The person testing you will focus on how you merge with the traffic on the highway from the ramp...how smoothly you switch lanes...if you are giving the proper signals.

So make sure your speed when merging on to the highway matches the highway traffic speed...and ALWAYS show that you are paying attention all the time to the sideview and rear view mirrors...and give the proper signals when changing lanes.

You may or may not be tested again for your 3 Point parking and driving in schools/house roads...but that may have applied to me only since as I said I went straight for the G license from the beginning.

Good luck!
how did you skip your G2?
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11154 posts
2130 upvotes
Toronto
professormeth wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 12:53 am
how did you skip your G2?
I already had a Driver's License from another country (UAE....Abu Dhabi/Dubai) when I lived/worked there...and they allowed me to take the G1 test...then just skip the G2 and go for the G...since I had years of driving experience elsewhere.

But that was many years ago...I don't know if that still applies today or not to be honest.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5086 posts
1004 upvotes
Richmond Hill
you may or may not get tested on parallel parking. Each examiner is YMMV.

Highway for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6249 posts
1768 upvotes
inb4 UR A TERRIBO DRIVER

Three things that I failed to do on my first attempt years ago:

1) If they ask you to perform an emergency road side stop, on top of checking your mirrors before pulling aside, make sure you put on your 4-way flashers AND your emergency brake.

2) If you're merging onto a smaller highway (ex. Hanlon Expressway in Guelph) and there's a runway leading to the merge, DO NOT wait at the entrance of the merge for traffic to clear before merging in. Use the runway until you hit highway posted speed, then merge. It sounds like an obvious merging 101 type thing but on the Hanlon, every other entrance way is just a yield merge so people forget that some of the entrances have runways.

3) Dramatically check your rear and side mirrors ever 5 seconds. They really look for that.

Good luck!
[OP]
Feb 4, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
I don't think I'm a bad driver or anything. Like I said I've been driving for years now. I just want to know if there any common things people do without realizing that are bad and what the test is like.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
6071 posts
2116 upvotes
For sure..
Proper highway merging
Parallel parking
Uphill/downhill parking
Check blind spots and mirrors often (make it known to the tester)
Aug 29, 2015
54 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
BluePhirePB wrote:
Sep 14th, 2015 11:21 am
inb4 UR A TERRIBO DRIVER
"HOW MUCH SIGNAL I NEED TO CUT ACROSS EIGHT LANE? None?! I turn now..good luck everybody else"
[OP]
Feb 4, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
So it's all the stuff that's on the G2 + a highway portion?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6249 posts
1768 upvotes
MCMLXXXIX wrote:
Sep 15th, 2015 11:57 am
"HOW MUCH SIGNAL I NEED TO CUT ACROSS EIGHT LANE? None?! I turn now..good luck everybody else"
[OP]
Feb 4, 2015
19 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
So far I've lined up a few locations to go to. Kingston, Brantford, St. Catherines, Oakville, or Hamilton.

Reason I'm looking into those locations is because I'm able to get a much closer test date vs waiting a month or more for test centers near me.