Automotive

What can I get for around $35K tax incl.

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2006 9:16 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6457 posts
926 upvotes
^

The 35K tax inclusive budget still applies as well as leather interior, moonroof, standard airbags, ABS, disc brakes..

I really refer four-door sedan, but will also consider two/four hatchback..

Not looking for SUV, sport coupe (ie. G35), minivan, mid-large size family car (ie. Accord). Civic/CSX is the ideal size - not too big and not too compact like the Yaris/Echo..

I am planning to buy it after the GST cut on July 1, so I still have two months to decide.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
jtcb wrote:^

The 35K tax inclusive budget still applies as well as leather interior, moonroof, standard airbags, ABS, disc brakes..

I really refer four-door sedan, but will also consider two/four hatchback..

Not looking for SUV, sport coupe (ie. G35), minivan, mid-large size family car (ie. Accord). Civic/CSX is the ideal size - not too big and not too compact like the Yaris/Echo..

I am planning to buy it after the GST cut on July 1, so I still have two months to decide.
k with those must-have features and car size you're down to:
Mazda 3 GT w/Luxury package
Acura CSX Premium (lists at $30k w/o tax, pdi, etc)
Jetta
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6457 posts
926 upvotes
Any opinion on American car like the Pontiac G6 sedan?
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
jtcb wrote:Any opinion on American car like the Pontiac G6 sedan?
you said you wanted high resale value so those are out. and it doesn't fit your requirement of not being a mid-size family car.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2003
2100 posts
9 upvotes
OK, back to serious. You can get the entry level 2.0L turbo passat starting at 30 grand, and it's a pretty good looking car. If you shop around you might be able to get a good number of options and still be within the price range you've set.

If hot hatches are now in your search list, a nice new golf GTI might be fun.

I'm not a VW fan, but both are good cars from what I know.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1202 posts
108 upvotes
puff_daddy_58_99 wrote:OK, back to serious. You can get the entry level 2.0L turbo passat starting at 30 grand, and it's a pretty good looking car. If you shop around you might be able to get a good number of options and still be within the price range you've set.

If hot hatches are now in your search list, a nice new golf GTI might be fun.

I'm not a VW fan, but both are good cars from what I know.
From what I know, they are not that reliable
From experience i know they have electrical problems
Kind of a hit or miss with VW
I've never owned a VW so, this may be an isolated incident.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
puff_daddy_58_99 wrote:OK, back to serious. You can get the entry level 2.0L turbo passat starting at 30 grand, and it's a pretty good looking car. If you shop around you might be able to get a good number of options and still be within the price range you've set.
nope the Passat is clearly out as
a) he wants leather which adds $6k to the price bringing it list over $36k pre-tax on the 2.0 model
b) its too big for his requirements
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3899 posts
294 upvotes
Markham
if you want to get the top model CSX why not pay a couple thousand more for an Acura TSX? Its a nicer car that definetly won't be mistaken for a civic, because when I see CSX, I usually think its a civic then I see the Acura emblem and notice its a CSX...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6457 posts
926 upvotes
^

I actually find the TSX ugly.. I would prefer TL over TSX if it is within my budget.. but the TL is $42K. It costs even more than a C230 which is $38.5K.. then I would choose the C230.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3899 posts
294 upvotes
Markham
^ of course the TL is a nicer car than the TSX but its also several thousand more, and even if its the same price as a C230 I like the TL better but at that price I would rather buy a BMW 3-series for $35k+ but if you like Benz styling you could consider the B-Class, it starts at around $30k
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1384 posts
576 upvotes
with 35k you got a whole bunch of used and new vehicles to check out. There's an endless amount of vehicles you could get with 35 grand. 2 months eh?
test drive some cars if you got free time, having rfd'ers toss you suggestions on cars that range from large family sedans, luxury sedans, and econo sedans wont exactly get you anywhere. if you all you can afford is a compact sedan that takes the lowest octane fuel, with low insurance, low maintenance then please let people know. Having people do homework for you, like the dude who posted 4-6 links on the lexus cars, just to have it rejected sure wouldnt feel too happy about it.

so its gotta be new, with leather, abs, moonroof... basically decked out @ $35k correct?

my parents have been looking at the Mazda3 demo's... we're talking about 2005 -2006 with like less than 1-5000 km's on them.
Ive seen all the Mazda3 GT sports go for about $22k (tax not included). With leather your looking at $26000.... with tax your looking at ~$30000

The good thing about demos with low mileage is that they are basically new, and you dont get charged with PDI, and administration fees for most cars.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
152 upvotes
$35,000 can get you into a mercedes B or C class
Mar 1, 2006
321 posts
st7860 wrote:$35,000 can get you into a mercedes B or C class
B class has the construction quality of a toyota yaris! LOL

35K will get you 14" steelies and no air conditioinng in the B class FYI :lol: :lol: :lol:
"One of my friends took me to one of these all-you-can-eat salad bars recently. I passed out and it took 3 Snickers bars and a Coke to revive me."
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
st7860 wrote:$35,000 can get you into a mercedes B or C class
well ignoring the above post which is clearly wrong (you do get a/c and 16" wheels, but why let facts stand in the way of a post...) the B class is out becuase:

-synthentic leather (vinyl?) slash cloth is a $500 option
-$1600 for the moonroof bringing the two items before tax to $33 050. with tax (@14%) alone its over $37k and that doesnt even factor frieght/pdi.
-throw in another $1500+tax if you want auto transmission

the base c class starts at $38,450 ($43k with tax). i highly doubt they're going knock $8k off the asking price.
Be kind and civil with one another