Computers & Electronics

What can i still do with old apple devices ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 11:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4505 posts
619 upvotes

What can i still do with old apple devices ?

I have few old apple devices (ipod touch, ipad etc.) that cannot run lastest iOS and when i come to install an app it says you need iOS 7 or later.

Basically can't install any app.

Is there anything to do with these ? Bypass this BS or something.

I don't know much about apple crappy products since what they do does not make any sense and i try not to buy anything related to apple.
37 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18780 posts
3857 upvotes
Thornhill
If it means anything, Androids and Windows mobile is the same, with the only positive being the cheaper entry point pricing.
Jul 3, 2017
787 posts
514 upvotes
Most traditional Apple apps will still work, such as iTunes or Facetime, and many older apps are still supported even though you can't get the latest version. You just won't have any luck installing newer apps that didn't exist a few years ago.
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
is it still possible to jailbreak these and you can load them up with apps that way?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4505 posts
619 upvotes
Guess the ipods will collect dust forever.
Jul 13, 2016
134 posts
42 upvotes
Yes, jailbroken devices can sideload older versions of apps.
Jul 3, 2017
787 posts
514 upvotes
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 3:09 pm
Guess the ipods will collect dust forever.
They still work as music players, their original purpose.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
14124 posts
9792 upvotes
Toronto
sell on Ebay
If signatures featuring quotes by respected medical professionals cause you to be offended maybe it is time to re-evaluate your life's priorities.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1920 posts
809 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 12:24 pm
I have few old apple devices (ipod touch, ipad etc.) that cannot run lastest iOS and when i come to install an app it says you need iOS 7 or later.

Basically can't install any app.

Is there anything to do with these ? Bypass this BS or something.

I don't know much about apple crappy products since what they do does not make any sense and i try not to buy anything related to apple.
LOL.... Crappy Apple products.
I've a variety of their 'crappy' products, and I can tell you they've outlasted a variety of other 'non-crappy' products.
Not a fanboi (I'm Technology Agnostic), but I am careful where I spend my money.
That said, sell your 'crappy Apple' stuff on Kijiji or Ebay. You'll be surprised what crap is worth.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4505 posts
619 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 4:22 pm
LOL.... Crappy Apple products.
I've a variety of their 'crappy' products, and I can tell you they've outlasted a variety of other 'non-crappy' products.
Not a fanboi (I'm Technology Agnostic), but I am careful where I spend my money.
That said, sell your 'crappy Apple' stuff on Kijiji or Ebay. You'll be surprised what crap is worth.
Android > iOS

Not even arguable imho.

With apple your stuck with itunes ithis and ithat. You are not able to move freely with your music, contacts etc. because... Because.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1920 posts
809 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Coz4k wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:08 pm
Android > iOS

Not even arguable imho.

With apple your stuck with itunes ithis and ithat. You are not able to move freely with your music, contacts etc. because... Because.
Funny thing, you know?
iTunes is a bloated piece of software that should have been chopped up into various parts long ago. In the Apple ecosystem it still works very well. I haven't used it on a Windows box in quite some time, but when I did, it still seemed to work OK.

I recently purchased a Moto G5 phone to replace a Blackberry Z30. My main desktop is a Mac Mini, with which I have all my music stored on. Some of that music I purchased and downloaded through the iTunes store.
I just spend two hours trying to transfer music from my NAS HDD to this Android phone. Finally figured out that I had to enable 'Developer Mode' and 'USB Debugging' just to move audio files to the Moto G5.

You tell me what your definition of 'move freely' is. Certainly isn't Android. My Blackberry, with all its inherent security, had a better file transfer interface than Android.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
26400 posts
3089 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jesguerra wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 2:30 pm
is it still possible to jailbreak these and you can load them up with apps that way?
Jailbreaking will not enable you to install updated apps.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3314 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:32 pm
I just spend two hours trying to transfer music from my NAS HDD to this Android phone. Finally figured out that I had to enable 'Developer Mode' and 'USB Debugging' just to move audio files to the Moto G5.
You tell me what your definition of 'move freely' is. Certainly isn't Android. My Blackberry, with all its inherent security, had a better file transfer interface than Android.
You definitely don't need Developer Mode or USB Debugging to transfer files to an Android phone, so something sounds off here.

I don't have a G5, but we do have a couple of related Motorola phones in the house. When plugged into a computer via USB, I believe they default to a "charging only" mode (this is likely for security reasons). You need to pull down from the menu bar and select a different USB mode (e.g. File Transfer) depending on your needs.

I suspect that enabling Developer Mode or USB Debugging may have put your G5 into a File Transfer mode and thus enabled you to transfer over your tunes.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1920 posts
809 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
JHW wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 8:26 pm
You definitely don't need Developer Mode or USB Debugging to transfer files to an Android phone, so something sounds off here.

I don't have a G5, but we do have a couple of related Motorola phones in the house. When plugged into a computer via USB, I believe they default to a "charging only" mode (this is likely for security reasons). You need to pull down from the menu bar and select a different USB mode (e.g. File Transfer) depending on your needs.

I suspect that enabling Developer Mode or USB Debugging may have put your G5 into a File Transfer mode and thus enabled you to transfer over your tunes.
If you are using a Windows OS, I'm sure that the interface works better with various Android OS versions, or so I've been told. I've a bootleg Win 7 on a reclaimed Toshiba that I could use, but I'd rather not expose my phone to exploits unnecessarily.
My point is, that the OP seems to think that Apple products are somehow inferior due to restrictions, and that they no longer function properly due to limitations of the OS version.
The whole Android OS is rife with security issues IMHO.