Computers & Electronics

What can i still do with old apple devices ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 11:03 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2086 posts
957 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
supremekai wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 1:50 am
how were you transferring your music from ur NAS HDD to your android phone?
USB plugged into the Mac. There is a hideous file transfer Android app available for Mac's in the app store. I thought the BlackBerry desktop app was kludgy. The Android app appears to have been written by Satan himself.
Jan 15, 2010
443 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Back on topic....

I'm looking to turn some old iPhone 4s I have sitting around into streaming cameras and add it to part of my home automation system. Currently looking at the ManyThings solution. Feels like a Ring type of solution using other devices.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2086 posts
957 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
GavinCampbell wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 8:48 am
Back on topic....

I'm looking to turn some old iPhone 4s I have sitting around into streaming cameras and add it to part of my home automation system. Currently looking at the ManyThings solution. Feels like a Ring type of solution using other devices.
Interesting!
Great to see that iPhones back as far as 3GS can be used. Getting power to the device might be tricky, but then, I suppose you would run into the same situation with a Ring device.
Other issue I can see with using any iPhone outdoors is, low temperature shutdown. I've had iPhones do so in the pocket of my winter coat.
Jan 15, 2010
443 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:45 am
Interesting!
Great to see that iPhones back as far as 3GS can be used. Getting power to the device might be tricky, but then, I suppose you would run into the same situation with a Ring device.
Other issue I can see with using any iPhone outdoors is, low temperature shutdown. I've had iPhones do so in the pocket of my winter coat.
I wouldn't do this for outside.. I just mentioned Ring in terms of the interaction. But its definitely an indoor only solution. I've been looking at wifi cameras and they all have the same issue with having to run power to them anyways. You either plug them in, use something like POE or hardwire them. I figure I would just plug these in and place them where required.

Then I'll tie them in with my SmartThings security so it only monitors and records when I'm not home.

Still trying to work it out. But a good use for some old devices laying around. If it works out then my neighbor has a few more sitting in a drawer I can have.

I'm also using an old iPad 2 as my SmartThings home console. Its running something called ActionTiles that displays all my devices and other useful information and sits at my entrance. I can enable/disable security, adjust scenes, turn things on and off and even has a section to display a 5 day weather forecast.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
18236 posts
6389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
sell me an iPod man.

Every time I load beta software onto my X it **** up the bluetooth music streaming in my car. Getting sick of it. I just need to go back to basics with an iPod.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28099 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 10:43 am
Every time I load beta software onto my X it **** up the bluetooth music streaming in my car. Getting sick of it. I just need to go back to basics with an iPod.
Does an iPod have Bluetooth?

Doesn’t your car have USB? Use a flash drive
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30910 posts
7643 upvotes
GTHA
Gee wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 12:23 pm
iPod Touch and 7th generation Nano has Bluetooth and
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
18236 posts
6389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Gee wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 12:23 pm

Doesn’t your car have USB? Use a flash drive
Yeah it has usb. I have a viseo tune2air. I'd just plug the iPod into the viseo and the viseo streams via Bluetooth to my head unit
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1676 posts
412 upvotes
Scarborough
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 2:16 am
USB plugged into the Mac. There is a hideous file transfer Android app available for Mac's in the app store. I thought the BlackBerry desktop app was kludgy. The Android app appears to have been written by Satan himself.
forgot you had to download the software on MAC, lol. (but doesn't it just pop up as a drive, like a usb?) But since it's NAS hdd you could have just pull the files via the phone using an app.
Koodo
Tangerine
PayTM
😉😉😉
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28099 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
supremekai wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:05 pm
forgot you had to download the software on MAC, lol. (but doesn't it just pop up as a drive, like a usb?) But since it's NAS hdd you could have just pull the files via the phone using an app.
Using WiFi is a lot slower than USB

I would just use ES File Explorer and connect directly to the NAS
Dec 19, 2015
133 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary, AB
People still physically connect their phones to their computers to transfer things?

How very ... 2000s? Here in 2017 we use wifi. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I have an original iPad mini kicking around that we don't use much. I'd love to use it as a calendar and way to control my smart home.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2086 posts
957 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Andy34 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:50 pm
People still physically connect their phones to their computers to transfer things?

How very ... 2000s? Here in 2017 we use wifi. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Good on you, Mr. Millenial.
I guess those of us with wired networks have decided we don't have the luxury of sitting around fapping to pr0n while we wait for 8 gigs of music to transfer to our devices.
You know, because work.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2086 posts
957 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Gee wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:10 pm
Using WiFi is a lot slower than USB

I would just use ES File Explorer and connect directly to the NAS
I D/L'ed ES File Explorer, because the vanilla Android file system appeared less than useful, but haven't tried to interface directly with the HDD.
Going way OT here...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2086 posts
957 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
nasa25 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 10:43 am
sell me an iPod man.

Are you using the car's audio system, or something aftermarket? My Wife's 2009 Honda Bluetooth system has no problem with a 2005 iPod Nano.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9108 posts
806 upvotes
GTA
For OP, one idea that I came across was if you download the app via itunes and then then it to your device. This won't work for the "latest" version of the app but at least you can install stuff (i.e. if there was a working version of Instagram it will install it on that device):

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... t-gen-ipad