• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2006 6:59 am
Tags:
None
Jan 17, 2002
679 posts
23 upvotes

What can I write off?

I am a partner in a fine art Printing business as well we print peoples photographs directly onto Canvas and them have them stretched. But what I am wondering is what can I write off? I know I can write off KM's if I am driving to meetings and stuff for work. But what else?
6 replies
Aug 15, 2004
114 posts
you need to see an accountant dude ...
you can write off:
- portion of your home (percentage of everything for home office)
- purchases made for the business
etc. etc.
Apr 10, 2006
254 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Yeah definitely talk to a good accountant.

Do you have a cell phone that you use for business? You can write that off for sure. Internet (if you use it for the business), any furniture for your home office. Make a list of everything and then your accountant can advise you. I know a realtor that writes off all of her clothes, shoes, every lunch, every trip, etc. I wouldn't recommend it but she's been doing it for years. Good luck to you :)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2003
1407 posts
21 upvotes
Careful with the deduction of home office stuff. Prior to being incorporated (which my accountant says basically screws up the ability to deduct home office, because I'd have to charge rent to the corp) we used to deduct that. Then we ceased deducting home office expenses per my accountant.

If you're deducting part of your mortgage interest and house expenses for business, then there's a case to be made when you sell your house that part of that sale is business related - and then you don't get the free ride tax-wise that you do if your house is just your residence. I don't know that rev canada has ever done anything that way but my accountant thought it was a risk, and I agreed. So we don't deduct home office stuff anymore.

In short, it's what a lot of people do, but be aware there is a risk there.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
10 upvotes
Deducting mortgage interest is okay. Deducting the principle is not okay - that makes your business own part of your home.

If you have a lot of medical expenses (prescriptions, dental work, etc.), join a Private Health Services Plan (PHSP).

I don't believe clothes is a legal deduction unless it's specialized work gear like coveralls, safety glasses, hard hat, etc. Suits, ties and thongs don't qualify.

Revenue Canada has good explanations of what's valid and not valid. Check with their web site and get a book on Canadian small business accounting.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
If your in business, you should always have a good accountant. That's what write offs and fudging numbers (whoops) is all about. It's not what the numbers should say, it's what you want it to say, and they'll make things work.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wheel wrote:Careful with the deduction of home office stuff. Prior to being incorporated (which my accountant says basically screws up the ability to deduct home office, because I'd have to charge rent to the corp) we used to deduct that. Then we ceased deducting home office expenses per my accountant.

If you're deducting part of your mortgage interest and house expenses for business, then there's a case to be made when you sell your house that part of that sale is business related - and then you don't get the free ride tax-wise that you do if your house is just your residence. I don't know that rev canada has ever done anything that way but my accountant thought it was a risk, and I agreed. So we don't deduct home office stuff anymore.

In short, it's what a lot of people do, but be aware there is a risk there.
If you don't charge rent to the corp BUT it is your primary workplace with a defined area used solely for business, then the mortgage interest can be deducted. The consideration if you charge rent is that the portion that you've deemed to be "business" is no longer free of capital gains tax when you sell your home.

Given the varying opinions and experiences here, you can see the need for hiring a qualified/certified accountant.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)