Food & Drink

what is the Canadian sweets/chocolate/biscuit to bring to Great Britain?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 12:00 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2013
321 posts
60 upvotes
TORONTO

what is the Canadian sweets/chocolate/biscuit to bring to Great Britain?

My London friend want me to bring some traditional Canadian sweets/chocolate/biscuit. what is the best choice I can bring? No need to be expensive, but needs to represent Canada. I will buy in Toronto and bring them to Great Britain.

Thanks for your idea.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3472 posts
938 upvotes
Moncton
The Brits are pretty good at sweets, so it will be hard to compete. Anything with real maple I suppose. With CETA, there is no longer any duty on maple syrup. Bring a plastic jug you can buy at Walmart. Not for carry-on luggage, obviously.

You can check prices at Amazon.co.uk .

There are restrictions on the type of food you can bring into the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... eaflet.pdf

Leclerc and Vachon are brands I don’t think you’d find in the UK. Maple Leaf cookies I suppose would satisfy their kitch quota.

***Coffee Crisp is only sold in Canada.***
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_ ... ide_Canada

If your friend has a sweet tooth, they might like Tim Hortons French Vanilla and Hot Chocolate. Although Tim Hortons now has 3 outlets in the UK, they have no plans for London. And they don’t sell the canned stuff at their Cardiff and Glasgow (and soon Manchester and Belfast) locations.
http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/tims-at ... erages.php
Last edited by MonctonMan on Dec 2nd, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Dec 1, 2017
2 posts
As weird as it sounds when my cousins are visiting from the UK they always leave with a suitcase full of coffee crisp, crispy crunch and caramilk because they can't get them there. Not exactly traditional Canadian but they sure seem to love em.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
Canada and UK actually share a lot of same/similar snacks. So most items from Mars, Nestle and Cadbury are readily available in both countries, but there are some exceptions like: Coffee Crisp, Mackintosh Toffee

For other things:
Various Vachon treats
Hickory Sticks, All Dressed and Ketchup for chips
Nanaimo Bars
Crush sodas

I don't think these snacks really "represent" Canada... unless you get a box of maple shaped and flavored cookies.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6228 posts
1113 upvotes
Cherry Blossom bar. Vachon, as previously mentioned. Wish Vachon was still making the Pouding Chomeur bars, but haven't seen them for awhile.

Costco had wild blueberry pies today, but I guess pie or butter tarts would be difficult to transport.

Doesn't PC do a maple fudge?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1687 posts
500 upvotes
maple syrup cookies or candies.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7506 posts
543 upvotes
Anything with maple, pecan/butter tarts? Coffee Crisp?
Oct 14, 2012
463 posts
207 upvotes
Woodstock
You could also give them a very small package of Ganong Chicken Bones. They are a strange truly Canadian invention that was always popular at Christmas time in the 1950s+ Some people really like them and others hate them.

I agree that maple sugar candy (the maple leaves) would be a "Canadian" thing. I wouldn't try to take syrup on a plane myself.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11109 posts
1533 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Laura Secord Chocolates , "named after the Canadian heroine of the War of 1812, Laura Secord."
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Oct 16, 2007
989 posts
244 upvotes
Coffee Crisp
Caramilk
Mr. Big
Glosettes
Nanaimo Bars

And then Ketchup & All Dressed Chips
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recoginze me.
Jun 29, 2010
815 posts
177 upvotes
I didn't know that about Coffee Crisp. I actually was in Scotland last year - went to the pound store - and bout 5 packs of Toffee Crisp!
Very good bar if you're over there.