Computers & Electronics

What causes dirty prints from laser printer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2008 8:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2273 posts
14 upvotes

What causes dirty prints from laser printer?

I have a Samsung laser printer, it is giving me dirty prints. It's like someone used a paint roller and rolled it down the middle of the page. It is not a consistent smudge. It happens on every page, beginning to end. When I hold the button, it gives me a faded, dirty sheet.

Could it be a fuser or drum? I do not want to spend $80 on a toner/drum cartridge and then determine it to be the fuser. It is a ML 1740 with starter cartridge, on its first refill from TonerKits.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
The drum is not being cleaned properly between prints. Depending on your printer, that could be the fault of the cleaning blade, the cleaning drum, or possibly an erase lamp, if your printer is very old.

Again, depending on your printer, this could be corrected by changing the toner cartridge (not refilling it).

Just re-read your post. You may also have toner spilled within the printer - have you tried opening it and cleaning it manually?
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11290 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
Azxster wrote:
Feb 27th, 2008 11:42 am
I have a Samsung laser printer, it is giving me dirty prints. It's like someone used a paint roller and rolled it down the middle of the page. It is not a consistent smudge. It happens on every page, beginning to end. When I hold the button, it gives me a faded, dirty sheet.

Could it be a fuser or drum? I do not want to spend $80 on a toner/drum cartridge and then determine it to be the fuser. It is a ML 1740 with starter cartridge, on its first refill from TonerKits.
Sounds like cheap toner or leakage. My HP Laserjet 2100 circa 1999 gives CRISP images to date. I only use new HP Toners and never refill it.

You may want to get the unit cleaned up if there is toner in the assembly, and then try using a NEW SAMSUNG toner. If the internals are dirty, changing the drum won't make much of a difference.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
Actually this tends to happen on our Samsung laser printer when the toner is running low. Don't ask me why low toner produces what appears to be excess toner on the page!
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
The same thing happened to my Samsung all-in-one laser printer. Replacing the cartridge (which had been refilled a couple times) fixed the problem.
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2273 posts
14 upvotes
I'll take a gamble and try a new cartridge.

Is it me or are Samsung laser prints not friendly with manual duplex?

My ML1740 requires me to yank the tray out.
My AIO doesnt really accept "curved" pages.

I needed to upgrade my inkjet AIO... it was the choice of a duplex laser or an AIO laser
Banned
Feb 4, 2002
4070 posts
101 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
I have the same printer. After refilling my starter cartridge I had the same problem. Buying a new OEM cart completely fixed it. I had forgotten what a perfectly clean dark laser print looks like :)

I was tempted to buy a new ML2510 for $70 vs $95 for toner, but with 3X the prints on a replacement cart it didnt make sense to buy new.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2273 posts
14 upvotes
FerrisB wrote:
Mar 1st, 2008 4:00 pm
I have the same printer. After refilling my starter cartridge I had the same problem. Buying a new OEM cart completely fixed it. I had forgotten what a perfectly clean dark laser print looks like :)

I was tempted to buy a new ML2510 for $70 vs $95 for toner, but with 3X the prints on a replacement cart it didnt make sense to buy new.
Glad to hear it, which makes sense since the drum is built-in to the toner cartridge. I just finished the toner on my SX4521 after 6 months of basic school use...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2002
1025 posts
OTTAWA
hightech wrote:
Feb 27th, 2008 4:00 pm
Sounds like cheap toner or leakage. My HP Laserjet 2100 circa 1999 gives CRISP images to date. I only use new HP Toners and never refill it.

You may want to get the unit cleaned up if there is toner in the assembly, and then try using a NEW SAMSUNG toner. If the internals are dirty, changing the drum won't make much of a difference.
exactly. Toner leakage, it happen to me when I use the OEM power to refill, but I have only 1 tiny spot, not a big problem for me
:: My Heatware ::