Shopping Discussion

What is cheaper in Canada than in the U.S.?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2016 10:59 am
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1313 posts
48 upvotes

What is cheaper in Canada than in the U.S.?

So I am moving to the states soon, and I was pondering with my wife if we should buy some stuff here before we make the move. Which leads to the question, what is cheaper to buy in Canada than in the U.S.? Of course the currency should be factored in. Forget the cost of moving these items, let's just talk purchase price.
I wondering on items like TV, furniture, computer etc.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Maple syrup, maybe?
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
Salary is cheaper in Canada.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
There's a few things but not very many.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: Maple syrup, maybe?
Not always. You'll find Canadian maple syrup cheaper at Sam's Club in the USA vs anywhere in Canada including Costco.

Remember, maple syrup from Quebec (which is where most of the world's supply comes from) is controlled by a cartel that hoards excess production in order to keep supply low/prices high (that not so minor detail came out a couple years ago when barrels of syrup were stolen from a warehouse... where the cartel was hoarding them).

I refuse to support Quebec businesses so I only buy maple syrup that came from Ontario, New York, or Vermont.
Apr 1, 2013
523 posts
119 upvotes
Ontario
Some Costco products are cheaper in Canada.
Seasoned Grill Wild Alaskan Salmon - Morey's $15.99 in Rochester , $16.49CAD in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1446 posts
833 upvotes
Prince George
the watcher wrote: what is cheaper to buy in Canada than in the U.S.? Of course the currency should be factored in.
Almost nothing!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
hvwozq wrote:
jackrabbit000 wrote: Everything except for Apple products.
:lol: Did you mean Nothing but Apple products?

iPad Mini 4 16 GB Wi-Fi 399 USD > 515 CAD | 439 CAD
MacBook & MBP 13" Base 1299 USD > 1678 CAD | 1549 CAD
MacBook Air 13" Base 1099 USD > 1420 CAD | 1349 CAD
iPhones seem to be more expensive.
Where did you get your exchange rate from? lol Plus you didn't add on the 2.5% that Your credit card charges unless you have the Scotia MasterCard like me where there is no foreign exchange fee.
I don't see anything wrong with his exchange rates, they fluctuate throughout the day so they're bound to be a little different than this morning.

Also, who cares about currency conversion, he can just use a US credit card in the US.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
I understand that cars are cheaper here, but you need to undergo a dashboard surgery to get the right odometer/speedometer in mi for the US.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: I understand that cars are cheaper here, but you need to undergo a dashboard surgery to get the right odometer/speedometer in mi for the US.
Cars tend to have both, you can just deal with it being the smaller part of the dial.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4783 posts
1329 upvotes
Richmond
tuition and Healthcare and some otc meds apparently.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: tuition and Healthcare and some otc meds apparently.
OTC meds are a biggie. Some meds were already OTC in Canada while still prescription-only in the USA (I know for sure Claritin and Zyrtec/Reactine) so those were cheaper in Canada until they went OTC in America and when Walmart et al started selling generics of them. Robax is still prescription-only in the USA while you can get huge generic bottles of it for $8 at Costco here.

But it does happen the other way around. Aleve was OTC in America for maybe 10 years before we could get it OTC here, so that was a frequent cross-border purchase for me (still is).

So if you're moving to America, see what meds are cheaper in Canada and stock up.
Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: tuition and Healthcare and some otc meds apparently.
Tuition depends on what state your comparing, California heavily subsidizes colleges and universities for state residents, and I could go for lower cost in California vs BC, really boils down to what your studying and where.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Epipens
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1580 upvotes
Etobicoke
jm1 wrote: Epipens