Automotive

What is the cheapest daily driver you can buy in GTA?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2020 4:30 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 27, 2019
388 posts
264 upvotes

What is the cheapest daily driver you can buy in GTA?

Do you have to stick to very specific brand/year like a Camry that's $1000 and has 200,000 km and can do 300,000 more or is there no such thing (considering brakes, suspension, tires will all cost $$$ + additional repairs)?

Is it a guessing game on 200,000 mile Corollas and Civics?

Would you rather buy safetied from a dealer and pay $5,000 instead of picking up a car for 500-1000 and self-certifying?

thoughts/experiences?
57 replies
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
67 upvotes
For $1000 you should get a car in good condition. A car that is ugly is basically free because no one want to be seen in a car with bad paint etc.. brakes are easy diy. Cars last 300k kms easy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31357 posts
5558 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
With used cars, no two are the same. You may find a 20 year old car that was very well kept or a 5 year old car that was poorly maintained.

General rule, people are not stupid. They will price the car accordingly.

You get what you pay for.
[OP]
Member
Apr 27, 2019
388 posts
264 upvotes
I agree with your general rule. We have to put $200 as the base price for any car regardless of condition for scrap and then maybe $500+ for a part-out.

There are cars that can cost $1000 to BUY and then need hundreds or THOUSANDS in repair work. That's what I am most interested in understanding.

A $5,000 car may be a better deal than a $500 one.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3053 posts
3163 upvotes
GTA
All cars that old and cheap are gonna have their problems. Especially in the GTA where we salt the roads and corrosion is greatly accelerated.

But generally speaking, a Honda or Toyota would be a good choice.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
67 upvotes
derass wrote: All cars that old and cheap are gonna have their problems. Especially in the GTA where we salt the roads and corrosion is greatly accelerated.

But generally speaking, a Honda or Toyota would be a good choice.
Any car will last 300k. Honda and Toyota are bad choice because they are over priced. $1000 car should not require a ton of repairs if you buy from someone who looked after car.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
5940 posts
3876 upvotes
Kitchener
IMO, the cheapest daily driver is a 2015 Nissan LEAF purchased in USA and imported. No gas = cheaper than a free gas car.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19296 posts
7413 upvotes
Toronto
Carcross wrote: Any car will last 300k. Honda and Toyota are bad choice because they are over priced. $1000 car should not require a ton of repairs if you buy from someone who looked after car.
Do you count repair costs in the equation? Looking after a car is not sufficient to ensure reliability/durability. Ever wonder why Toyota and Honda commands a bit of a premium on the purchase price?
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
14816 posts
4095 upvotes
London
firestarter99 wrote: .....
Would you rather buy safetied from a dealer and pay $5,000 instead of picking up a car for 500-1000 and self-certifying?
..
Due to the higher requirements required to get the recent MTO safety standards certificate, the cost of “ self certifying “ a $500 car could be much much higher than buying a car that already has a valid safety in the first place.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
12365 posts
7245 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Beige Corolla is the best!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Member
Jan 13, 2007
427 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
While Honda, Acura, Toyota and Lexus are quite reliable, they are by no means the "cheapest" daily drivers out there. As boring as it is, the cheapest daily driver would be a 10+ year old domestic sedan like a Chevrolet Cobalt, Aveo or Malibu.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
67 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Due to the higher requirements required to get the recent MTO safety standards certificate, the cost of “ self certifying “ a $500 car could be much much higher than buying a car that already has a valid safety in the first place.

Important point. The op though is exaggerating repair expense. All cars are reliable.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
13152 posts
7468 upvotes
Toronto
Bought a $200 2007 versa auto/ac with 150,000, dumped used oil from my other car into it, never serviced it. Gave it to my nephew at almost 300,000kms. That's a cheap daily driver.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top