Automotive

What is the CHEAPEST towing for underground parking removal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2015 8:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4715 posts
185 upvotes

What is the CHEAPEST towing for underground parking removal?

I am using the 'Retire Your Ride' program to recycle my old car and get back $300. :)
I am not eligible for their free towing service because they will not pick up my car in an underground parking garage. My brakes don't work so I cannot drive the car out of the underground garage.

Two questions :

1) What is the cheapest towing service in the downtown Toronto that will pickup vehicles in underground parking garages and drop it off at a recycling/junk yard depot? The drop off location is suppose to be fairly short distance.

2) I've been told that CAA will not drop off vehicles at a recycling/junk yard depot. Is this true? :confused:

Thank you!
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14261 posts
3593 upvotes
London
gretzky99 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2009 5:37 pm
...2) I've been told that CAA will not drop off vehicles at a recycling/junk yard depot. Is this true? :confused: ...
CAA in GTA doesn't send a tow truck directly. They first send a "mechanic" in a pickup truck to scope out the situation, then he calls for the tow truck if he can't get the car going.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4715 posts
185 upvotes
GroceryBagHead wrote:
Aug 10th, 2009 7:19 pm
hand brake doesn't work either?
It does.
However, the hand brake is very stiff and I rather not use it to brake.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24805 posts
5073 upvotes
The cheapest towing is to get the car towed from above ground and get the free service.

How do you do this you ask? Well you call up some buddies or family members and then you have one of them sit in the driver's seat with the steering wheel unlocked and the car in neutral and... The rest of you do guess what? PUSH! (Note: you have to be one of the people pushing, you can't be the guy in the car, since you're the one with the car and you're the one asking the favour.) Really it's not that hard. Once the car is moving it's easy to keep it moving if you have a few people; plus it's going slow enough that you can control the speed pretty well. If the brakes don't work, have the "driver" use the park brake if/when necessary.

Once the car is above ground, call the Retire program and off it goes!
Nov 17, 2003
459 posts
40 upvotes
If you have no friends/brakes to get it pushed out or it's too steep and you have CAA...get CAA to tow it topside to a shop close to the wreckers....then push it to the wreckers or get the wreckers to tow it to the yard....
Jul 3, 2009
275 posts
39 upvotes
Tolo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2009 11:41 pm
If you have no friends/brakes to get it pushed out or it's too steep and you have CAA...get CAA to tow it topside to a shop close to the wreckers....then push it to the wreckers or get the wreckers to tow it to the yard....
Exactly, ask your friend to see who has CAA, then CAA tow it for you, and you buy your friend a beer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4715 posts
185 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Aug 10th, 2009 11:23 pm
The cheapest towing is to get the car towed from above ground and get the free service.

How do you do this you ask? Well you call up some buddies or family members and then you have one of them sit in the driver's seat with the steering wheel unlocked and the car in neutral and... The rest of you do guess what? PUSH! (Note: you have to be one of the people pushing, you can't be the guy in the car, since you're the one with the car and you're the one asking the favour.) Really it's not that hard. Once the car is moving it's easy to keep it moving if you have a few people; plus it's going slow enough that you can control the speed pretty well. If the brakes don't work, have the "driver" use the park brake if/when necessary.

Once the car is above ground, call the Retire program and off it goes!
Thanks for the advice.
However, this won't work. First, I'm on the third level of the garage which is quite long and steep hills. This will definitely not be a walk-in-the park to push this out of the garage. Second, there are too many cars coming in and out of the garage and it will be a tight fit. I do not want to clog up traffic.

At this point, I rather not go through all the trouble of getting people to help me manually pushing the car out of the garage just so I could get a free tow.

I'm willing to pay for a tow.
All I need is recommendations for getting a cheap towing service for underground parking removal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4715 posts
185 upvotes
Ok, so I got a quote of $65+GST for an underground garage tow.
Is that a fair price or could I do better?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5422 posts
5492 upvotes
Toronto
gretzky99 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2009 5:37 pm
My brakes don't work so I cannot drive the car out of the underground garage.
Even without brakes you can probably just drive it out. Worst case you just jam on the e-brake and drive it out that way. Or maybe just drop the tires to 8-10 PSI and use rolling resistence as your friction. Have a friend with an emergency wheel chock walk out with you just in case.

Anyway, unless your have an AT and very touchy tip-in you should be able to nurse the car out of the garage without brakes. Of course, for Safety I don't advocate that you due this.. Just saying, it's completely feasible.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Jun 13, 2015
1 posts
gretzky99 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2009 7:12 pm
Ok, so I got a quote of $65+GST for an underground garage tow.
Is that a fair price or could I do better?
Hey what company did u go with because I have the same problem and apparently CAA won't even go into the basement