Shopping Discussion

What is the cheapest way to get home phone, internet, TV for my older parents?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 6:37 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 21, 2014
418 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What is the cheapest way to get home phone, internet, TV for my older parents?

I am trying to reduce my parents bills and was wondering what you guys use for internet, TV and home phone? What setup do you have for all your services and what is your total bill each month?

(my parents are old so I aim to keep things simplistic for them).
10 replies
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
206 upvotes
wserib wrote: I am trying to reduce my parents bills and was wondering what you guys use for internet, TV and home phone? What setup do you have for all your services and what is your total bill each month?

(my parents are old so I aim to keep things simplistic for them).
OOMA for the homephone, then whatever tv internet you want
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Nov 17, 2014
807 posts
277 upvotes
Rogers has the basic cable TV for around $23/month, and Techsavvy as the basic internet cable for $30/month (?), and then you add the FreePhoneLine for free VOIP phone calls withn Canada.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2013
1458 posts
519 upvotes
Mississauga
Beefeater wrote: Rogers has the basic cable TV for around $23/month, and Techsavvy as the basic internet cable for $30/month (?), and then you add the FreePhoneLine for free VOIP phone calls withn Canada.
You started that off with robbers...

Check out primus for all 3 at Costco. Heard good things
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3290 upvotes
www.freephoneline.ca, in the long run, (in combination with an Obihai OBi200/202 ATA) is the cheapest option for a home phone. I originally paid $50+tax (it's now gone up to $70+tax), over 5 years ago. That's a one time fee. Then you need to buy the ATA, which is also a one time fee. My monthly bills have been $0 for over 5 years. It's impossible to beat free.

I would never do business with Primus for internet service after being lied to by one of their reps in the past concerning its dsl speeds in my area (completely lied and wasted my time). And its home phone pricing is a joke.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7234 posts
1999 upvotes
My parents are 60/65 and I recently signed them up with voip.ms for phone, an antenna for internet (they cancelled their cable) and a 3rd party dsl provider for internet. They pay maybe $5/month for phone and $30/month for internet. The TV is free.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1736 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
Would like to know plus cell phone

Speakout best for emergency?
Oct 28, 2012
356 posts
106 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Hey, great question. I did this exact thing for my mom last year.

Home phone: >$5/month. Definitely VoIP. I bought her a Grandstream, but have an Obi200 myself. I'd go with Obi. I set mom up with voip.ms just for convenience. I like freephoneline, but there are areas you can't call (but I suppose if you put a few dollars on the account, you'd be alright).

Internet: $40/month. Depending on area, electronicbox, start.ca, teksavvy. Shoot, Bell even has deals, BUT be wary. Any, you shouldn't be paying more than $40.

TV: $0 free baby! Get a CH4221. That'll straighten them right out. For anything else, there's Seeeeaaaarrrrssss. Sorry, it's just that damn jingle. I meant for anything else, There's the internet.

$45/month. That's what I've got too. Lots of great posts to help you set it up maintenance free. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1035 posts
1015 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Any of you guys have a package for those parents who also make long distances call to HK/China?
They basically need Home Phone/Internet
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
For older parents to keep things simple, you should stick with a POTS phone line. My parents get so confused regarding any technology as they get older. My parents are paying $18.95 a month with Bell. It is a retentions deal but they came back to Bell and got it. I don't know hold your parents are but mine are in their 80's and having a reliable phone with reliable 911 was important. You can get 911 with VOIP but it goes through a VOIP operator. I'd rather in an emergency that they get directly to the 911 operator especially if they are unable to speak and only able to just dial. This was discussed recently in another thread. Plus if they didn't have a POTS they would be paying a dry loop so it is not alot to pay for peace of mind.

For internet, they have Teksavvy DSL 7/1 for $27.99 with 150 Gb cap. This more than enough for them.

They do have Rogers Basic cable. I am trying to get my mother to go with an antenna. My father is open to it and actually has two antennas but she has one or two channels that she watches that are only on cable. I think I am close to convincing her the more Rogers ticks her off. The digital adaptor really cuts the volume and they are having trouble hearing it plus they can no longer use their old DVR. Although I am authorized on my parents account, Rogers refused to let me cancel to get to retentions so they are paying full price and I need to work on that. Someone above mentioned $23.99 with Rogers for basic cable, but that is not the price in the GTA unless it is a retentions deal. It is over $40 a month.

Someone mentioned speakout for an emergency cell phone. It is a great deal as $25 airtime lasts a year but in an emergency, they can call 911 from any cellphone without service.
May 29, 2008
740 posts
271 upvotes
Hamilton
I can't agree more with Cheap Cat. Get a real landline phone service for your parents. Besides 911, there's also this situation:

Parent(s): The internet's not working. I'll just call someone to... $*&(*^@!()@

Teksavvy also has home phone service (reselling bell, I believe) but they aren't supposed to port bell numbers over. If your parents don't mind getting a new number, that's an option... I think. Other than that, just try to negotiate or remove all the unused phone features.