• Oct 29th, 2008 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1484 posts
65 upvotes

What chips do NOT have MSG?

I have had the hardest time finding snacks without MSG in them. It seems that almost every variety of chips now contain MSG.. I am not freaked out by MSG, im allergic to it. I imagine there are other people who also do not enjoy MSG in their food for a variety of reasons.. All doritos now contain MSG. The only chips I have been able to find are pringles regular reduced salt/fat "light" (only the light variety). Anyone else have the same issue or know of chips without MSG?

thx
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2697 posts
72 upvotes
Etobicoke
hey, how did you find out your allergic? im curious because i also think im very sensitive to it, if not allergic as well. what symptoms do you have if you eat msg?

what about old dutch or mrs vickies? do they have msg?
Jul 15, 2008
638 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
Fraggle wrote:
Oct 26th, 2008 4:59 pm
I am not freaked out by MSG, im allergic to it.
I'm glad that this is your reason for it, there are way too many people that don't really know much about it and are freaking out. Unfortunately, I don't know any chips that don't have it.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3068 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
thepersianguy wrote:
Oct 26th, 2008 5:27 pm
hey, how did you find out your allergic? im curious because i also think im very sensitive to it, if not allergic as well. what symptoms do you have if you eat msg?

There are symptom lists online. Be aware that a lot of it might be psychological. Notice if most of your sensitivity comes from only foods that are known to have MSG (asian food, japanese food, chinese food, chips, fried chicken, etc). Glutamate is one of the building blocks of life, and is present in a lot of natural foods like cheese and tomatoes. So look up foods that are naturally high in glutamates, and if those trigger a reaction, then simply avoid those foods.

With all the mass hysteria, it's hard to know which reactions are psychological manifestations and which are cases of intolerance.
Vancouver Forum - July 11th, 2005 - 11:54/11:42 (Computer) PM
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3317 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
Terra Chips doesn't have MSG... just Yukon Gold potatoes, salt, and canola oil. Their flavored versions use things like balsamic vinegar, basil, cayenne pepper, onion/garlic powder, etc. I love how each chip is thickly sliced from a whole potato... you see the skin that surrounds each chip :cheesygri

If you go to your local organic supermarket (ie. Capers), they have tons of chips that are all natural, no MSG or artificial flavors. They're quite a bit more expensive though, but honestly without the MSG it doesn't taste as good :(
Aug 1, 2005
793 posts
62 upvotes
Most "plain" (non-seasoned) chips do not have MSG, even the cheaper brands.
AFAIK, Kettle Chips does not use MSG in any of their flavours, and they're all really good. I'm pretty sure Miss Vickies doesn't either.
Sep 23, 2008
334 posts
concrete river
Try plantain chips.

The regular ones without seasonings are best.

With luck, you can find some with very little salt too.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2697 posts
72 upvotes
Etobicoke
i fully understand what your saying and agree with it. nowadays there's a lot of symptoms that are manifestation of psychological processes. however, i consider myself to have a stomach of steel, i can eat pretty much anything and never get sick. however, ive noticed that when i eat chinese, most garbage fast foods, and other things you listed mulptiple times per day/week i experience heart palpitations, bloating and get very gassy. needless to say i now stay away from this stuff as best i can. i was wondering what symptoms the op experienced specifically since online lists are very broad and there may be overlap with other things.

cheeseshredder wrote:
Oct 26th, 2008 5:41 pm
There are symptom lists online. Be aware that a lot of it might be psychological. Notice if most of your sensitivity comes from only foods that are known to have MSG (asian food, japanese food, chinese food, chips, fried chicken, etc). Glutamate is one of the building blocks of life, and is present in a lot of natural foods like cheese and tomatoes. So look up foods that are naturally high in glutamates, and if those trigger a reaction, then simply avoid those foods.

With all the mass hysteria, it's hard to know which reactions are psychological manifestations and which are cases of intolerance.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
Most plain and salt and vinnegar chips don't have MSG.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
thepersianguy wrote:
Oct 27th, 2008 3:01 pm
i fully understand what your saying and agree with it. nowadays there's a lot of symptoms that are manifestation of psychological processes. however, i consider myself to have a stomach of steel, i can eat pretty much anything and never get sick. however, ive noticed that when i eat chinese, most garbage fast foods, and other things you listed mulptiple times per day/week i experience heart palpitations, bloating and get very gassy. needless to say i now stay away from this stuff as best i can. i was wondering what symptoms the op experienced specifically since online lists are very broad and there may be overlap with other things.
It might be beans that causes the bloating and gas...they use a lot of beans in chinese cooking...
;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1484 posts
65 upvotes
thepersianguy wrote:
Oct 26th, 2008 5:27 pm

Went to the doctor with cramps, stomach issues, had a comprehensive allergy test done as I have previously known allergies and they wanted to check on the severity of those anyway.

Old dutch unfortunately has MSG now, they didn't for the longest time.. Kettle chips and such are usually okay but plain chips are rather...plain.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13267 posts
228 upvotes
Midland
Pretty much any brand of potato chips that is artificially flavoured is going to have monosodium glutamate.
To steer clear of it just get plain potato chips. Lays brand is good since they use sunflower oil and not canola oil.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
× < >