Home & Garden

What could it cost to fix a leak of front load washer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2013 4:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1912 posts
159 upvotes
Ancaster
My buddy just had the rubber boot replaced on his front load washer by one of the big service companies (don't know which one).

It cost him $400 for this job and that was with the service guy knowing the problem in advance...so no need for assessment & no need to hunt down parts after the fact.

Pretty pricey if you ask me......best to find someone who does it on the side or a retired service guy.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4533 posts
723 upvotes
Whitby
nielboy wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:57 am
My buddy just had the rubber boot replaced on his front load washer by one of the big service companies (don't know which one).

It cost him $400 for this job and that was with the service guy knowing the problem in advance...so no need for assessment & no need to hunt down parts after the fact.

Pretty pricey if you ask me......best to find someone who does it on the side or a retired service guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFdTFrBC8Q

Its not a dificult DIY job, why the boot is torn needs to be looked into. Have a look at that vid OP, most front loaders are similar...get the service manual for your model and it will take a few hours to replace the boot. Try to find the reason the original boot was torn, be careful stretching the spring clamps while installing the new boot-don't snag the rubber and you'll be fine.
Apr 29, 2007
206 posts
1 upvote
nielboy wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:57 am

I second this. My front loader (Sears HE2+ from 2006) also has a small leak, about 2 teaspoon fulls
that happens during spin cycle.
I called Sears Parts department. The rubber boot/seal for the door costs about $150.
Sears told me if I wanted it repaired by them, they will send someone to assess for $80 and
replace the seal for $120. So altogether it would be $350 assuming it is that boot/seal. So after
tax it would be really close to $400.
I am in Vaughan in Ontario.
Being a RFDer I am going to try to open it up and patching what must be a small tear with
Gorilla tape or something. Maybe budget an entire day for it.
Banned
Nov 2, 2012
2778 posts
457 upvotes
Hamilton
Just wanted to say that we used to have a front loader. Bought it brand new - had nothing but trouble
with it. Had to replace the computer board TWICE in a short period of time (first time was covered by
the warranty, second time it was not).

We heard from the repairmen that front loaders tend to be awful in terms of breaking down. That's
the bulk of their business (repairing front loaders).

We now steer clear of them. We bought the traditional washer and dryer (top loader) and have had zero
problems. They don't have all the fancy buttons...but that also means there's less things to break down.

Originally, we thought front-loaders were great for the environment. But if they need to be replaced every
five or ten years - it's not really beneficial to the environment after all. Our top loaders will likely last 20
years or more (like our parents' generation of top loaders).

I know the front-loaders look nicer...but we were just tired of all of the repair bills...
May 29, 2012
263 posts
34 upvotes
YALE
Why charge retail so much for parts. Mafia
× < >