Students

What courses do I need to take in ILC to be eligible for Comp Sci at Uni?

[OP]
Jul 16, 2018
2 posts

What courses do I need to take in ILC to be eligible for Comp Sci at Uni?

I'm a Canadian that just moved back here a couple months ago from Asia.

I was living in Asia for the past few years and did grade 9 and 10 through the IGCSE where I got pretty good marks.

Then I decided to peruse the IB Diploma where I maintained good grades in my first year but completely fell apart in my second year and finals due to a host of personal/mental issues.

I've always been fascinated with programming and it's one of my biggest hobbies. It was initially my plan to return to Canada for university, but, unfortunately for me all the universities that granted me conditional offers turned me down upon receiving my final grades.

I'm sick, tired and frankly done with the IB at this point and I would like to make up my disaster of a a grade 12 with ILC courses (Ontario high school courses online).

Most universities state that they require marks from six grade 12 courses taken in Ontario. I already have transcripts of my marks from grade 9, 10 and 11 (1st year of IB).

So my question is it enough for me to take the six grade 12 courses online or do I also need to take courses from grade 11 since I studied that in a different curriculum.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
5 replies
Jul 14, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
How old are you? If you're over 20 you can take any ILC course without the pre-reqs. As for what you'd need for computer science it depends on the school, sometimes they only want two maths and sometimes also 12U physics and chemistry.
[OP]
Jul 16, 2018
2 posts
guy1001 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 2:03 pm
How old are you? If you're over 20 you can take any ILC course without the pre-reqs. As for what you'd need for computer science it depends on the school, sometimes they only want two maths and sometimes also 12U physics and chemistry.
I'm 19. I have proof that I passed grade 9, 10 and 11 so I was wondering if I could have the prerequisite courses for grade 12 waived and get all the credits I need for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma by doing 6 grade 12 courses.
Jul 14, 2018
8 posts
4 upvotes
FifaU29327 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 6:04 pm
I'm 19. I have proof that I passed grade 9, 10 and 11 so I was wondering if I could have the prerequisite courses for grade 12 waived and get all the credits I need for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma by doing 6 grade 12 courses.
You would need to call or email them to provide with further details to assess it I would imagine.
Jul 22, 2015
233 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Call the ILC and speak with an officer. I believe you need to send in your transcripts and request the course and wait for approval but speaking to them before hand can save you the hassle of sending in the documents to confirm if your eligible or not.
Sep 29, 2013
151 posts
69 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Look at the university programs on einfo.ca (I believe it's Ontario only)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)