Careers

What are cover letters for? I don't get it.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2014 3:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto

What are cover letters for? I don't get it.

I see many job posting asking for cover letters, what is it really for?

anyone working at HR, pls explain thanks.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
test9251 wrote: I see many job posting asking for cover letters, what is it really for?

Another way to find out more details about a potential hire, without bringing them in for a face to face interview.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1057 posts
403 upvotes
Markham
test9251 wrote: I see many job posting asking for cover letters, what is it really for?

What exactly do you mean by really? Anyone with the slightest common sense would know that they perform natural language processing on your cover letter and target you with commercial retail products.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Another way to find out more details about a potential hire, without bringing them in for a face to face interview.
so is it better to just give a resume even if they are asking for CV? take a chance.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
test9251 wrote: so is it better to just give a resume even if they are asking for CV? take a chance.
Just follow the application requirements... Ie: send resume along with cv, or send resume only!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1402 posts
193 upvotes
Attach CV and a covering letter. In the letter outline in a few short paragraphs why you are the right person for the job tailored to the job spec.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
test9251 wrote: so is it better to just give a resume even if they are asking for CV? take a chance.
Your resume is quantitative (relatively speaking), whereas the cover letter is meant to be qualitative, highlighting key attributes of you as a candidate.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Some people ignore the cover letter, some people ignore the resume. Some say they use the cover letter to get a sense of personality and drive from the person so it might give you and edge.
The sure thing is, you don't know. So submit all the time, even if they don't ask.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
A resume tells what you can do. The cover letter explans how you can do it.

Never lose sight of the fact that for any job posted there will be hundreds of applicants. Be happy you no longer need to mail your letter and resume on 'nice' psper. That gets expensive.
May 10, 2014
639 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anything you submit will have negative or positive effect on your candidacy.
Given that the only things you may submit are generally resume/CV, application form (which may or may not include your skill sets and proficiencies) and cover letter, where only the cover letter may be optional while the other two are mandatory,
think how your cover letter supplements the other submissions.

That said, I think cover letter is a BS. It is supposed to show in writing what kind of person you really are in the position and company you are seeking, but it is easy for anyone to find some job hunting experts to proofread, polish, improve and whatnot to make your poor grammar and spelling error filled writing shine.
It's like wrapping dirt in a colourful shiny gift box.
With resume, there is only so much wrapping paper you can use but with cover letter, it is unlimited.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
while your resume is to present your skills and experience, the cover letter should be focused more on the position you are applying for
it gives you a chance to explain why you think you are a good candidate for the position and why the employer should contact you and not the others
Feb 24, 2013
577 posts
111 upvotes
none of your busines…
Cover letters are a waste of time and a relic of the past. Nobody reads them. Put more work into your resume.
Nov 25, 2012
258 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
DealSeeker3000 wrote: Cover letters are a waste of time and a relic of the past. Nobody reads them. Put more work into your resume.
Might be true but if you are applying to a specific position and it asks for one, you should not take a chance and submit both a high quality resume and cover letter. Do what the potential future employer asks for (if you want to meet the requirements to get an interview...)
Apr 10, 2013
10 posts
TORONTO
I read cover letters when hiring. The best people we hired had actually written cover letters when applying. The cover letters showed they understood what actions would make them successful in our team, as well as "connecting the dots" for us on why their previous experience is relevant to the skills required for this role. It sounds like a lot, but the key is to focus on the few most important items in cover letter. You don't want to duplicate what's in the resume, just expand to give more of a story on the most applicable points.

As a manager, the cover letter gives me an idea of how the applicant communicates (both in selecting what to say, and how they say it), as well as helps me short list based on the additional skillset details described. Cover letter also shows me that I'm not just getting a generic application, but instead this person actually has done the research and wants to work with us - and not just wants the first job offered.

Just my 2c.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1400 posts
355 upvotes
Having worked as both a recruiter and an Employment Counsellor, cover letters are important for the simple fact that they are another opportunity to sell yourself to the employer.

When I was a recruiter my process was this:

Skim Resume. If bad toss resume.
If good, read cover letter. If bad toss resume. If good call applicant. If no cover letter included, toss resume.

If the job was important enough to the applicant they would take the time to write a personalized cover letter.

I do think in some careers cover letters are more important than others. Regardless why throw away an extra chance to tell an employer why you are the right person for the job? Especially when competing against multiple other people who will definitely be doing just that with a, professional cover letter.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
waste of time bs thats what.

such is life.
Jul 16, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
A cover letter won't get you an interview, but it can disqualify you if you don't include it.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
OctobersVeryOwn wrote: A cover letter won't get you an interview, but it can disqualify you if you don't include it.
If I am given a handful of resume that have potential, the cover letter provides another tool to narrow down the field To select which 4 or 5 I want to interview.
Sep 21, 2006
609 posts
193 upvotes
cover letters help highlight your relevant experience to the company, it's a way to sell yourself and 1-2 experiences in detail with coherent sentences.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)