Shopping Discussion

What’s the real reason Costco employees check receipts at the exit?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 1:34 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3605 posts
552 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:13 pm
90 seconds, 4 times per hour, with 15 people in line, over an 8 hour shift:

90 sec * 15 ppl * 4 times/hr * 8 hours
= 12 person hours wasted

What does it cost to pay a whole person's wages for 1.5 days?

Just a thought.

I don't wait for receipt checkers at other stores, I just walk right by them.
My little daughter enjoys going to Costco for the food samples and the smiley face on the receipts. If you don't have young children, you probably won't understand.
signature closed for renovation
Nov 23, 2014
15 posts
7 upvotes
Regina, SK
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:13 pm
90 seconds, 4 times per hour, with 15 people in line, over an 8 hour shift:

90 sec * 15 ppl * 4 times/hr * 8 hours
= 12 person hours wasted

What does it cost to pay a whole person's wages for 1.5 days?

Just a thought.

I don't wait for receipt checkers at other stores, I just walk right by them.
They aren't spending 90 seconds drawing. The person you quoted said 90 seconds as a worst case scenerio if you had 18 people in front of you each with a child and they took 5 seconds each to draw on each receipt. They aren't wasting much time.
Dec 18, 2017
175 posts
65 upvotes
I tried walking right by them because I was carrying a heavier item on my shoulder, and one of them walked all the way out to my car telling me to stop lol.
Dec 16, 2017
26 posts
26 upvotes
ottawa
All of what they do at the door could easily be done at the cash. So not really sure how the door check is any type of theft deterrent or prevention. Not to mention if you really wanted to implement theft prevention you simply get cashess that weigh each package... that's how all the self-serve kiosks work. The computers know what each product weighs so if you've stuffed things in there other than a pair of socks it's going to know (heck, probably would pick up the socks).

I think it's more just a psychological thing. Just like walmart has greeters and have-a-good-day people at the entrance and exit.

Or maybe they just want you to know that if you steal something and try to make a run for it, 75-year-old Frank will be waiting for you at the exit.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17904 posts
2588 upvotes
GTA West
Homesimpson wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:48 pm
All of what they do at the door could easily be done at the cash. So not really sure how the door check is any type of theft deterrent or prevention.
After cash, customers might still spend some time in the store at the food court or tire centre.

The door checkers are the very last thing, ensuring that the receipt it marked so that you can't come back around and grab the same items a second time on your original receipt. Cashiers can't do that.

I have to say, the design of Costco stores is smart, as anyone trying to sneak items past the cashiers in pockets, bags, clothing, etc., still has to make it to the exit. This is a really good place for loss prevention to confront people about items that were not paid for.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Dec 16, 2017
26 posts
26 upvotes
ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:55 pm
After cash, customers might still spend some time in the store at the food court or tire centre.

The door checkers are the very last thing, ensuring that the receipt it marked so that you can't come back around and grab the same items a second time on your original receipt. Cashiers can't do that.

I have to say, the design of Costco stores is smart, as anyone trying to sneak items past the cashiers in pockets, bags, clothing, etc., still has to make it to the exit. This is a really good place for loss prevention to confront people about items that were not paid for.
ya but you can't get back in once you're past the cash.

But i think you might be on to something. By creating a bottleneck at the exit you make it really hard for someone to make a run for it. Aside from the cashier, they also have to get past all the customers in the line.

Maybe they are using us (the customers) as a theft deterrent :)
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17904 posts
2588 upvotes
GTA West
Homesimpson wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:11 pm
ya but you can't get back in once you're past the cash.
Have you tried this?
Many times I walk into the exit and the into the merchandise area through one of the cash register lines. Nobody has ever stopped me or asked for my membership card.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4458 posts
507 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:23 pm
Have you tried this?
Many times I walk into the exit and the into the merchandise area through one of the cash register lines. Nobody has ever stopped me or asked for my membership card.
You also have to walk in past the cash after you went to the washroom.
Jan 13, 2013
56 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
It makes me feel like a thief every time I walk out of Costco without buying anything, lol!!!
Feb 11, 2018
909 posts
705 upvotes
All the posts in this thread are making 'Costco' sounds like a mental illness. When you don't like a store you either stop going or go less often. Is it really that hard to do? Maybe complaining is a national pastime?
You can only convince people of what they already know.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3056 posts
2563 upvotes
Vancouver
TomLafinsky wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:36 pm
Maybe complaining is a national pastime?
Absolutely. Whining about stuff while willingly lining up for more of it is the Canadian way.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5220 posts
384 upvotes
Ottawa
On another note, you ever notice that there are so many employees at Costco? I wonder how many there are at a time.
Oct 14, 2014
336 posts
205 upvotes
Southern Ontario
On a positive note, the slight holdup at the exit on a recent visit was enough time for the cashier's assistant to run my pharmacy bag to me, which I forgot at the till.