Shopping Discussion

What’s the real reason Costco employees check receipts at the exit?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 1:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6251 posts
3845 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jeeva86 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 8:19 am
On another note, you ever notice that there are so many employees at Costco? I wonder how many there are at a time.
Lol, you mean what retail / Customer Service used to look like BEFORE Wally World-ism
When stores actually had employees on the floor, and at the cashes
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17904 posts
2588 upvotes
GTA West
TomLafinsky wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:36 pm
All the posts in this thread are making 'Costco' sounds like a mental illness. When you don't like a store you either stop going or go less often. Is it really that hard to do? Maybe complaining is a national pastime?
Costco is becoming more like Amazon. All of the 'real' rules are unwritten, and you need to figure them out in order to game the system and win the game. Until people realise that, they are gonna have a bad time!
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Nov 11th, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2279 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Many reasons, as others pointed out. I will add one more, likely the most important one:

It's a check on their employees. So a friend or relative of a cashier isn't being checked out with items that the cashier didn't scan, and just passed over to the other side. This was a common problem in grocery stores years ago. But with this check at exit, employees know to not even try it.
Nov 10, 2018
4 posts
I've wondered this too, but to keep customers happy definitely is not the reason. Pretty sure it's a theft thing
Jul 11, 2009
272 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
beachlover wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:11 am
Many reasons, as others pointed out. I will add one more, likely the most important one:

It's a check on their employees. So a friend or relative of a cashier isn't being checked out with items that the cashier didn't scan, and just passed over to the other side. This was a common problem in grocery stores years ago. But with this check at exit, employees know to not even try it.
the exit staff spend < 5 seconds looking at the receipt & < 1 second looking at your shopping cart. 100% sure that's never happening. especially when there's 20 people with full carts waiting to get out.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15591 posts
3393 upvotes
Toronto
Ya they just glance at your receipt. Don't even check if you have more than 20 items.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1457 posts
539 upvotes
TIL: People who don't shop at Costco have the most to say about shopping at Costco.