Off Topic

What’s the worst flu/cold you’ve ever gotten?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 1:43 am
Tags:

Poll: Whats the longest you’ve been sick with the flu or cold?

• Total votes: 50. You have voted on this poll.
1-2 days

4%
3-5 days

14%
5-8 days

30%
9 days & up

52%
No comment

0%
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6828 posts
3983 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
TomLafinsky wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 3:34 pm
Eat garlic cloves and you'll be sick a hell of a lot less often. I never have cold or flu and don't get flu shot. Mother nature gave you everything you need to be healthy.
Of course. Nobody comes close enough to you to pass along the virus if you eat that much garlic.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16513 posts
1538 upvotes
Thornhill
Been continuously sick since Dec 23. Likely overlapping different flus and colds. The one I'm working on now gives me sinus headaches. Blech.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7111 posts
3317 upvotes
Kootenays
t3359 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 10:43 pm
Been continuously sick since Dec 23. Likely overlapping different flus and colds. The one I'm working on now gives me sinus headaches. Blech.
bjl
I've had sinus headaches off and on for years. If you haven't tried one, a sinus rinse system like Neilmed is extremely helpful. https://www.amazon.ca/NeilMed-Sinus-Rin ... ds=neilmed

It's a bit gross at first, but you get used to it. To speed up the process, I nuke half a container of tap water for 30 seconds and shake it up to clean it before use, empty it and add to the fill line with distilled water, add the powder and microwave for 30 seconds. Shake it so there's no hot spots, then squirt away. It really does help.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16513 posts
1538 upvotes
Thornhill
smacd wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 5:05 pm
I've had sinus headaches off and on for years. If you haven't tried one, a sinus rinse system like Neilmed is extremely helpful. https://www.amazon.ca/NeilMed-Sinus-Rin ... ds=neilmed

It's a bit gross at first, but you get used to it. To speed up the process, I nuke half a container of tap water for 30 seconds and shake it up to clean it before use, empty it and add to the fill line with distilled water, add the powder and microwave for 30 seconds. Shake it so there's no hot spots, then squirt away. It really does help.
Hey smacd - actually I do that when it's pretty bad. I usually use tap water - I heard that there was an issue with amoebas getting into people sinuses as well - but the distilled water is just too cold. Will try the microwave. thanks

I also use Nasonex (some anti-inflammatory nasal spray) when the congestion starts affecting my ears. Lol.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1389 posts
198 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 8:31 am
Been sick since tuesday... this is the longest i’ve ever been sick! This flu must be strong bc i typically have a very strong immune system.

I used to think flu shots were not needed... bc i work out, eat fruits, and sleep well. But after getting hammered this hard, i’m considering annual shots...

Whats the longest you’ve been sick with the flu?
Please everyone get your flu shot each year. Even now, it's not too late. You might never know it but it could be the difference in passing it on to someone at high risk. My toddler died from influenza. The B-strain doesn't usually peak until Spring so flu season is far from over.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3035 posts
1807 upvotes
GTA
rf134a wrote: My flu was so bad, I died.
Don't say that, some wishes get granted.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1223 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
Look at all these cry babies talking how bad they felt having influenza and the flu, try having Chikungunya or malaria and then lets talk.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12595 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I theorize I got the flu last time because the Walmart credit checkout does not accept tap, so I had to touch the number pad!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2978 posts
2368 upvotes
Interesting thread. The longest I had flu was 3 months and unfortunately it left lasting serious effects on my health and I partly blame Canadian healthcare system for this. Let me explain:

On September 2012 I went to Japan for a few days. I was already under stress (gf issues) and while in Japan I got hit with a sure throat. Back in Canada I developed a cough and went to the clinic to ask for antibiotics. Because of stupid Canadian system where they refuse to give you antibiotics and just tell you to drink water and whatever the cough lingered for the next 3 months.

When I finally got better I noticed I wasn't breathing properly. Went to see a doctor and they prescribed asthma inhalers (unlike antibiotics, they were happy to prescribe this without any research).

Took inhalers for a bit, but I had a plan to move to Thailand long term so I couldn't do any tests in Canada, which I now regret. My breathing wasn't getting better and in Thailand they kept repeating like parrots...asthma, asthma. Finally I googled symptoms and realized I may have silent reflux. After 2 years of suffering went to see a GI in Bangkok who put the camera down my throat and saw I had hiatal hernia which causes reflux. I strongly believe I developed this hernia after coughing non stop for 3 months. If the idiot doctors only gave me antibiotics I'd still feel great.

Anyway, a flu can really f up your health, so be careful. There is no cure for me and in the past 7 years I have non stop issues.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4004 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 8:31 am
Been sick since tuesday... this is the longest i’ve ever been sick! This flu must be strong bc i typically have a very strong immune system.

I used to think flu shots were not needed... bc i work out, eat fruits, and sleep well. But after getting hammered this hard, i’m considering annual shots...

Whats the longest you’ve been sick with the flu?
I was hospitalized for almost a week with some sort cold/flue when I was 12. Worst experience in my life, and thankfully never experienced anything after that.
because ur mom said so
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5383 posts
984 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 4:46 pm
Don't say that, some wishes get granted.
I just got diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday. Astonished Face

Modern antibiotics saves the day!
No external links in signatures - Mods