Cell Phones

What are decent mid-range phones right now? (Rogers)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2018 4:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
140 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta

What are decent mid-range phones right now? (Rogers)

I'm in the market for a new phone. My Galaxy S5 is shattered, but still works.I am not exactly thriving on the money department. I'm thinking $600 is my maximum for a phone.

What I'm looking for in a phone:
Headohone jack
Reliable WiFi (Read some phone reviews of WiFi getting cut off in some devices)
LTE
MicroSD card slot. I can do without this, but I don't really want to.
5GHz WiFi (Not required, but... if there is a mid-ranger with this, I really want to check it out!)
Works on Rogers (Locked or unlocked, doesn't matter)

EDIT: I am also fine with refurbished phones.

Thanks! :)
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17663 posts
1755 upvotes
Woodbridge
Samsung A8.

I recently got it for my Mother, it's great device that made me wonder why I spent so much on the Note 9. lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 28, 2010
495 posts
206 upvotes
Mumps wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 12:28 am
My Galaxy S5 is shattered, but still works. I am not exactly thriving in the money department. I'
Have it repaired...?
Actions speak louder than words
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
140 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 6:57 am
Have it repaired...?
I just want to know my options, and I thought talking about the never talked about mid-range phones would be fun and informative for not just me. I'll likely never be able to afford a flagship device, but I can afford something mid-range. Repairing was always an option, but so is an upgrade.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2081 posts
289 upvotes
York
Possibly the P20 Lite or P20 (non Pro). They are solid devices with flagship specs that are just missing a few of the flashy features of the P20 Pro (my current device).
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
140 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
The A8 is a touch expensive, but looks very nice! The Huawei and Nokia phones look very good. Is there anything I should be aware from with these brands?

I am also looking at the Asus Zenfone 5Q. At roughly $450, it's affordable, but what do people think? I'll probably be buying my phone (or repairing the S5) at the end of the month.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9278 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Mumps wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 12:28 am
I'm in the market for a new phone. My Galaxy S5 is shattered, but still works.I am not exactly thriving on the money department. I'm thinking $600 is my maximum for a phone.

What I'm looking for in a phone:
Headohone jack
Reliable WiFi (Read some phone reviews of WiFi getting cut off in some devices)
LTE
MicroSD card slot. I can do without this, but I don't really want to.
5GHz WiFi (Not required, but... if there is a mid-ranger with this, I really want to check it out!)
Works on Rogers (Locked or unlocked, doesn't matter)

EDIT: I am also fine with refurbished phones.

Thanks! :)
darn your out in calgary, I was wondering if I can get the battery.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6667 posts
3682 upvotes
Canada
ateddybear wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 4:08 pm
Avoid ASUS; budget phones and it shows in build quality and software support.
that's a pretty vague statement, Asus has a ton of phones in all price ranges and their software support is better than most
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
140 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
ateddybear wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 4:08 pm
Avoid ASUS; budget phones and it shows in build quality and software support.

Huawei phones are nice and but they have some shady practices (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/huawei-pho ... 26616.html).
Thanks for that. It's definitely food for thought. Kind of puts me off wanting a Huawei phone.
As for ASUS, that surprises me! I've been an ASUS guy for my computer parts for years, and I would have expected their phones to live up to it. That's really sad to hear... Their ROG Phone will probably live up to it, but I'm guessing that thing will be close to $1,500, which is out of the picture.
akito925 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 3:30 pm
darn your out in calgary, I was wondering if I can get the battery.
My S5 battery is horrible! With the shipping cost to get it out to Toronto, and the amount of shit this battery would give you, maybe look into a 3rd party battery. A friend of mine recommended me this one, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071HB ... Z0SI&psc=1

It works very well for him, and if I end up choosing the repair route, I'll get this battery for myself.