Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2324 posts
1309 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: Dang, wanted to buy more Mastercard yesterday but won't get paid again til Friday :(
sold ibm near bottom hoping for quicker swing on MA yesterday - i

wanted to buy more too, ran out of US money = (
Last edited by wakka2u on Oct 31st, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Bought FN ...
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
craftsman wrote: Start looking at it when the US starts talking with China over trade. Until then, Trump will keep throwing hissy fits as the Chinese government right now is really just ignoring Trump's trade actions against them. And with each hissy fit, Trump will ratchet up the tension and maybe the tariffs which will drive BABA down.

The current belief is that nothing will happen until after the US mid-terms at the earliest as the Chinese government wants to see what the final make up of Congress is going to be.
Smart money use bond yield to discount risk, and since DT is forcing China to deleverage and burst their RE bubble, PBoC has to sell the US bonds to prop up RMB and debt overhang. US bond yield up, everything down. This is deflationary and it's global. Some compromise has to be reached for this love-hate relationship, otherwise the planet needs to be physically split into two.

I scrolled back a few pages, many are going to be long-term bag holders with high inverse rho picks. Your time is more productive to seek out firms profiting from the deflation. Even just look at charts where there's stead flat or uptrend. If you have positions that has lower high since '15, it's time to take money off the table on the bounce. This is just the beginning, and there's much better prices to buy back.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1495 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
So you're adding more? Or starting a new position due to this drop?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
sheepe wrote: So you're adding more? Or starting a new position due to this drop?
You could repair your position by trading the rebound if it's strong i.e. quarterly OTM calls on energy/cmdt names, even on more volatile comparables. My priority is looking to establish short on the next upswing and many ideas on this thread.

But remember to take money off the table and not to get dragged down by the deflationary whale 10,000 ft into the deep blue.

Let's see what @rfdrfd or swing traders have to say about this.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1495 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: You could repair your position by trading the rebound if it's strong i.e. quarterly OTM calls on energy/cmdt names, even on more volatile comparables. My priority is looking to establish short on the next upswing and many ideas on this thread.

But remember to take money off the table and not to get dragged down by the deflationary whale 10,000 ft into the deep blue.

Let's see what @rfdrfd or swing traders have to say about this.
Let's see what people think about this:

https://spacenews.com/maxar-trying-to-s ... -troubles/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Adding to: BAM.A, BNS, CU, PBH, RY, TD today
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
wow, DOL down another -7% after short seller attack yesterday

While Canada Goose +15% in 2 days? LOL

EDIT DOL was -7% $33.5 to now +4% ~$38
manipulation
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1181 posts
329 upvotes
ON
Thoughts on adding ENB before earnings report?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
HBM +10% yesterday and +19% today after ER

Finally, I'm breakeven at $6, that's how horrible it has been (copper has -12% YTD, HBM is .... -50%? YTD range $12.65 - $4.5
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Feb 23, 2015
163 posts
37 upvotes
Hampstead, QC
Hi rodbarc, what do you think about maxar? I’m in deep red but don’t want to sell it :(
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jerryhung wrote:
While Canada Goose +15% in 2 days? LOL
GOOS is the definition of a seasonal play as the cold weather hits. If the market stabilizes or goes on an upward trend, I strongly suspect that GOOS will be riding a wave of momentum again this season especially if there's a flow of positive news.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pursuit2013 wrote: Thoughts on adding ENB before earnings report?
The risk trade seems to be on again so expect added price pressures on ENB unless they report some kind of blow-out quarter or larger than expect debt reduction.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: Thoughts on adding ENB before earnings report?
I'd wait until after earnings. Seems like a good price for enb though. If they follow their history there should be a 10% dividend raise in January.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
Regarding ENB I just treat it the same as any other dividend growth stock. If it's near the time where a company normally declares a dividend increase, then I'll wait. If it's not near the time, I just take a chance and buy for any Canadian company that's on my target list.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
vinajackfruit wrote: Hi rodbarc, what do you think about maxar? I’m in deep red but don’t want to sell it :(
Make sure to add an @ symbol, otherwise, he might not see your message

@rodbarc
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
vinajackfruit wrote: Hi rodbarc, what do you think about maxar? I’m in deep red but don’t want to sell it :(
xgbsSS wrote: Make sure to add an @ symbol, otherwise, he might not see your message

@rodbarc
He posted about MAXR in a different thread earlier this week.
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
AltaGas (ALA) reached my bid target; which I cancelled a week ago.

Must be something more here than meets the eye; and the dividend is ridiculous.

It's at the point now that when the dividend is finally cut, the share price could actually bounce nicely.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
Added to BPY after 3.5% drop today. It is now my largest holding, will hold long term for the sweet and reliable dividend. 6.5% now! Very low chance this bluest of blue chips ever cuts its dividend.