Tags:
None
Dec 31, 2015
305 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikerfd wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:01 pm
All news should be positive for AIM's Q3 results. I'm skeptical that it'll jump huge, but at the same time I don't see it going down.

At the $10 level I'm going to be buying some ZCL. Almost 5% yield with good potential upside now, sell off of this stock has been a little ridiculous.
AIM's Q doesn't look too good Disappointed Face
Oct 1, 2011
84 posts
11 upvotes
Georgetown
herculesmaxpower wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:22 pm
AIM's Q doesn't look too good Disappointed Face
Why do you say that? There isn't anything terribly exciting, but if you look at all the numbers they point to increased stability for the company.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1285 posts
463 upvotes
Mississauga
mikerfd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:14 am
Why do you say that? There isn't anything terribly exciting, but if you look at all the numbers they point to increased stability for the company.
Agreed, more of the same. Maintained gross billings in North America division. International dropped somewhat. Liquidity and cost controls looks good. That said, i sold my entire AIM pref position right before earnings. Too much uncertainty looking new partner(s) and growing competition seemingly with other loyalty plans. I bought a large ENF position and need to pay for it somehow LOL.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4961 posts
1829 upvotes
Nice jump (and exit for me) on OTIC today on Q3 report. Price is up about 100% (and has been higher) on the day.

Bought in Sep/Oct after the bad news they put out.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3799 posts
777 upvotes
sold REI.UN and looking to buy more ALK below 62
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2225 posts
903 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Thinking about CTC.A but honestly I see it as a no moat retailer. The earnings report today was very solid. I must say I'm surprised that it's doing so well when retailers in the US are under pressure from Amazon. Can someone please educate me as to what makes CTC.A special?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3976 posts
801 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:57 am
The rumour was that he was quietly being pushed out, the whole sabbatical was just allowing him to save face. Who knows though. The rumour now is that he's going to Intel and announcement will be coming soon.
And there he goes to Intel.

I wonder if it was more of a push away from AMD or a pull from Intel...
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21533 posts
3734 upvotes
Waterloo
boyohboy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:38 pm

AMD is one crazy ride, $11 -> $12 (on working with INTC) -> $11 again (on Raja going to Intel and market), all in a week
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1275 posts
574 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:05 pm
sold REI.UN and looking to buy more ALK below 62
Hmmm... have been thinking about buying SRU.UN since mid Oct and REI.UN just this past week. Any reason for selling RioCan? Dec hike?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3799 posts
777 upvotes
MrMom wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:41 pm
Hmmm... have been thinking about buying SRU.UN since mid Oct and REI.UN just this past week. Any reason for selling RioCan? Dec hike?
It's been underperformer for me, nothing wrong with the company. Raising capital to buy something else.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1774 posts
302 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm leaning towards a push away from AMD. But from what I've gathered, Raja is mostly talk and little substance. Every time he presented, he seemed uneasy and never gave me confidence that he knew what he was talking about. I don't think his departure is a huge loss to AMD at all, he was no Jim Keller.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21533 posts
3734 upvotes
Waterloo
NVDA beats and goes flat/red

This ER season is like every other one, strange

2 notable movers today, I didn't think their ER is THAT impressive, but WOW
ROKU +55%
OSTK +30%
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Jan 15, 2015
483 posts
201 upvotes
treva84 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:12 pm
Thinking about CTC.A but honestly I see it as a no moat retailer. The earnings report today was very solid. I must say I'm surprised that it's doing so well when retailers in the US are under pressure from Amazon. Can someone please educate me as to what makes CTC.A special?
I would say Canadian Tire definitely has a moat. The company has a slick marketing department which leverages social media (Facebook), loyalty programs (CT money instantly redeemable at checkout), no-fuss return policy (90-day with receipt/all packaging), and sponsorship programs (example: Winter Olympics) to build and retain their customer base. Their supply chain management is second to none for a Canadian retailer. In fact, when I was knocking on their purchasing department door as a small manufacturer in the late 80's, I was impressed at how innovative they were even back then. They were always seeking out the latest products with special features not commonly found elsewhere. Just look through their hand tool selection and you will find many items which are unique - like an adjustable C-clamp with quick click-stop adjustments as well as the standard screw, on sale for less than a regular C-clamp.

Canadian Tire has always been a "go to" place for me, especially when I had two rental houses prior to 2012 and was regularly doing emergency repairs. No other Canadian retailer even comes close to stocking the diverse lines of products which enable "one-stop" shopping for busy people. There I can find "run-of-the-mill" kitchen appliances, paint, tools, furniture, electrical hardware, plumbing accessories, kid's toys, sporting goods, gardening tools, house plants, and auto accessories all in one store. For top quality stuff I will always shop elsewhere, but for items that need regular replacement (like kid's bikes, sports equipment, or kitchen cookware), Canadian Tire offers the most variety and often at lower cost. When bought on sale or on special clearance, prices are virtually unbeatable. Where else can you find a brand new American Standard two-piece toilet retailing for $200 for just $40 (yeah, I had to buy pieces at separate stores) or a heavy-duty wooden computer desk with sliding drawers for $94? That's why, I suppose, others similar needs shop there. Larger stores always seem busy.

Having said all the above, I still don't own shares Disappointed But Relieved Face. Waiting for the next big drop, but their positive earnings always get in the way.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2225 posts
903 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
SAM3674 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:53 pm
I would say Canadian Tire definitely has a moat. The company has a slick marketing department which leverages social media (Facebook), loyalty programs (CT money instantly redeemable at checkout), no-fuss return policy (90-day with receipt/all packaging), and sponsorship programs (example: Winter Olympics) to build and retain their customer base. Their supply chain management is second to none for a Canadian retailer. In fact, when I was knocking on their purchasing department door as a small manufacturer in the late 80's, I was impressed at how innovative they were even back then. They were always seeking out the latest products with special features not commonly found elsewhere. Just look through their hand tool selection and you will find many items which are unique - like an adjustable C-clamp with quick click-stop adjustments as well as the standard screw, on sale for less than a regular C-clamp.

Canadian Tire has always been a "go to" place for me, especially when I had two rental houses prior to 2012 and was regularly doing emergency repairs. No other Canadian retailer even comes close to stocking the diverse lines of products which enable "one-stop" shopping for busy people. There I can find "run-of-the-mill" kitchen appliances, paint, tools, furniture, electrical hardware, plumbing accessories, kid's toys, sporting goods, gardening tools, house plants, and auto accessories all in one store. For top quality stuff I will always shop elsewhere, but for items that need regular replacement (like kid's bikes, sports equipment, or kitchen cookware), Canadian Tire offers the most variety and often at lower cost. When bought on sale or on special clearance, prices are virtually unbeatable. Where else can you find a brand new American Standard two-piece toilet retailing for $200 for just $40 (yeah, I had to buy pieces at separate stores) or a heavy-duty wooden computer desk with sliding drawers for $94? That's why, I suppose, others similar needs shop there. Larger stores always seem busy.

Having said all the above, I still don't own shares Disappointed But Relieved Face. Waiting for the next big drop, but their positive earnings always get in the way.
Thanks for the reply. Objectively with their sales and earnings growth year over year they are obviously doing something right.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

all4one4u