20311 posts
3095 upvotes
Waterloo
NVDA beats and goes flat/red

This ER season is like every other one, strange

2 notable movers today, I didn't think their ER is THAT impressive, but WOW
ROKU +55%
OSTK +30%
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Jan 15, 2015
426 posts
155 upvotes
treva84 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:12 pm
Thinking about CTC.A but honestly I see it as a no moat retailer. The earnings report today was very solid. I must say I'm surprised that it's doing so well when retailers in the US are under pressure from Amazon. Can someone please educate me as to what makes CTC.A special?
I would say Canadian Tire definitely has a moat. The company has a slick marketing department which leverages social media (Facebook), loyalty programs (CT money instantly redeemable at checkout), no-fuss return policy (90-day with receipt/all packaging), and sponsorship programs (example: Winter Olympics) to build and retain their customer base. Their supply chain management is second to none for a Canadian retailer. In fact, when I was knocking on their purchasing department door as a small manufacturer in the late 80's, I was impressed at how innovative they were even back then. They were always seeking out the latest products with special features not commonly found elsewhere. Just look through their hand tool selection and you will find many items which are unique - like an adjustable C-clamp with quick click-stop adjustments as well as the standard screw, on sale for less than a regular C-clamp.

Canadian Tire has always been a "go to" place for me, especially when I had two rental houses prior to 2012 and was regularly doing emergency repairs. No other Canadian retailer even comes close to stocking the diverse lines of products which enable "one-stop" shopping for busy people. There I can find "run-of-the-mill" kitchen appliances, paint, tools, furniture, electrical hardware, plumbing accessories, kid's toys, sporting goods, gardening tools, house plants, and auto accessories all in one store. For top quality stuff I will always shop elsewhere, but for items that need regular replacement (like kid's bikes, sports equipment, or kitchen cookware), Canadian Tire offers the most variety and often at lower cost. When bought on sale or on special clearance, prices are virtually unbeatable. Where else can you find a brand new American Standard two-piece toilet retailing for $200 for just $40 (yeah, I had to buy pieces at separate stores) or a heavy-duty wooden computer desk with sliding drawers for $94? That's why, I suppose, others similar needs shop there. Larger stores always seem busy.

Having said all the above, I still don't own shares Disappointed But Relieved Face. Waiting for the next big drop, but their positive earnings always get in the way.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1907 posts
665 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
SAM3674 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:53 pm
I would say Canadian Tire definitely has a moat. The company has a slick marketing department which leverages social media (Facebook), loyalty programs (CT money instantly redeemable at checkout), no-fuss return policy (90-day with receipt/all packaging), and sponsorship programs (example: Winter Olympics) to build and retain their customer base. Their supply chain management is second to none for a Canadian retailer. In fact, when I was knocking on their purchasing department door as a small manufacturer in the late 80's, I was impressed at how innovative they were even back then. They were always seeking out the latest products with special features not commonly found elsewhere. Just look through their hand tool selection and you will find many items which are unique - like an adjustable C-clamp with quick click-stop adjustments as well as the standard screw, on sale for less than a regular C-clamp.

Canadian Tire has always been a "go to" place for me, especially when I had two rental houses prior to 2012 and was regularly doing emergency repairs. No other Canadian retailer even comes close to stocking the diverse lines of products which enable "one-stop" shopping for busy people. There I can find "run-of-the-mill" kitchen appliances, paint, tools, furniture, electrical hardware, plumbing accessories, kid's toys, sporting goods, gardening tools, house plants, and auto accessories all in one store. For top quality stuff I will always shop elsewhere, but for items that need regular replacement (like kid's bikes, sports equipment, or kitchen cookware), Canadian Tire offers the most variety and often at lower cost. When bought on sale or on special clearance, prices are virtually unbeatable. Where else can you find a brand new American Standard two-piece toilet retailing for $200 for just $40 (yeah, I had to buy pieces at separate stores) or a heavy-duty wooden computer desk with sliding drawers for $94? That's why, I suppose, others similar needs shop there. Larger stores always seem busy.

Having said all the above, I still don't own shares Disappointed But Relieved Face. Waiting for the next big drop, but their positive earnings always get in the way.
Thanks for the reply. Objectively with their sales and earnings growth year over year they are obviously doing something right.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1285 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
Hey all.
Where do you guys go to get your raw data from? ie. the charts you use to look at candles and wicks?

Is that generally a paid feature you have to buy, or is there a good free source?

Thanks
Oct 7, 2017
13 posts
$PONY has single handedly moved my entire red portfolio to green today Grimacing Face
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1657 posts
679 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Will be looking at re-entering CCL,B. I sold around $62, and like this pullback.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Aug 17, 2008
600 posts
184 upvotes
jellytime wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:04 pm
Hey all.
Where do you guys go to get your raw data from? ie. the charts you use to look at candles and wicks?

Is that generally a paid feature you have to buy, or is there a good free source?

Thanks
US data is usually live and free with the following;

https://www.barchart.com
https://www.investing.com
Google Finance - http://finance.google.com/finance

There's probably more, but not on my daily radar.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2578 posts
457 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Bought M while back so of course it went lower.

Up today so sell at gain or think it has holiday momentum??
Oct 14, 2015
219 posts
26 upvotes
Drumheller
jellytime wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:04 pm
Hey all.

Thanks
TmxMoney (free) has real time Cdn quotes. U.S. might be delayed.

https://www.tmxmoney.com/en/index.html

Sample:
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20311 posts
3095 upvotes
Waterloo
Air Canada AC continues its fall, to $22.7x (52w high $28, it's $26-$27 after great ER), what a fall
PT are all $29-$36

have to average down now, back to its old self
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3187 posts
512 upvotes
MrMom wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:48 pm
The bond market is eternally pessimistic. Unlike equities, the best you can hope for is par. But it might be time to take a queue from the bond market, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -at-a-time
double bottom as I type on US 30Y futures (ZB @ 152'20). Will they hold and resume uptrend or we go down (and stocks bounce)?
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Aug 17, 2008
600 posts
184 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:30 am
double bottom as I type on US 30Y futures (ZB @ 152'20). Will they hold and resume uptrend or we go down (and stocks bounce)?
Good question. Does it get pushed through and hold on a Friday? No early SIFMA close.

Futures (triple bottom incl Ldn) - https://invst.ly/5sx6t
In yield (5's and 10's heading higher in yield) - https://invst.ly/5sx7q

Was eyeing VX and UVXY thins morning as well.

Sitting tight.
Aug 22, 2012
97 posts
79 upvotes
Mark Town
GE is at an interesting moment. Technical signals that it will go higher in the near term. Loaded some today.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

carmaster