Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2475 posts
717 upvotes
GTA
xb0yHF wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:41 am
Is questrade down for anyone?
I'm able to reach the website, if that is what you mean.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2057 posts
644 upvotes
Sold out of KR, M, GE, T. Too much, too fast (GE for insignificant gain, but the others were up a lot). Actually only sold some M, still have a fair chunk.. I was hoping to wait til the new year but the gains are too much for my timid little self.

Bought a hundred CJR.B, have an order in for another hundred at a round 10% yield, and will keep my eye on it.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3249 posts
533 upvotes
mutual funds reduced technology and rotated into mostly value (T, MRK, JNJ, BABA, GE, DIS, CVX, XOM)

notice how the names are large cap Dow30 components. usually, when the biz cycle ends, money flow into large cap value stocks. I actually like that - except BABA, all names are near low of the range, pay nice dividend. At least DIS @102, MRK @55, GE @18, XOM @81 is good value
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3249 posts
533 upvotes
good volume at the close - sellers have finally come to this market.
added bond short via ZB @153'05

healthcare finished lower helped by medical devices and biotech
semis got destroyed
tech, telecom, real estate, utils finished deep in red.

keep it coming, folks. good day!

ps. BTW, if you own miners via GDX/GDXJ - big warning sign on the wall. I would not hold them
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1213 posts
113 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 4:00 pm

ps. BTW, if you own miners via GDX/GDXJ - big warning sign on the wall. I would not hold them
how about adding them with cheaper prices? what's your long-term view? (3-5 years)
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3249 posts
533 upvotes
rapashoo wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:06 am
how about adding them with cheaper prices? what's your long-term view? (3-5 years)
there will be another Feb 2016 repeat for miners, but I don't like the sector. Gold is stuck in the mud, GDX has support near 18-19.
I would rather buy BABA/FB/GOOGL if I had a gun to my head. BABA looks attractive especially as it enters Dan Loeb buy zone (he loaded/doubled his stake in Q3)

update: bot BABA @165 (small position) - expecting to drop further

P.S. I prefer rates play - interest rates are rising and shorting bonds makes sense. It's a trade, not investment
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3249 posts
533 upvotes
huge discrepancy between Dow, Russel, Midcaps and Nasdaq. Latter is rallying...

btw, FB Jan 170 calls are going for $8 - that's $6 extrinsic value. Means that traders believe it's going higher

sold long NQ (nasdaq) @6300 , bot EMD (midcaps) @1892
Jun 28, 2016
238 posts
118 upvotes
Started a small position in Alaris Royalty.

I know the dividend might get snipped, but even if the snip is consistent with the most bearish analyst projections, I'd still have about an 8% yield on cost, and a good 2018 could see it maintained. At this point, I'm noting that the impairment from S.M has already hit the stock price, the forward P/E is between 9 and 12 (depending on which analyst you trust) future growth is anticipated, ROE and ROI are solid, while its very cheap on virtually every historical metric. I could be wrong on this call, but I do think most of the risks are priced in, and there's plenty of potential for return if management keeps up its reasonably good track record at picking partners. A recession is a worry, but I'm already well positioned for that concern.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2638 posts
477 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Sold AT&T

Looking at BABA... wasn't at desk to get dlhunter price of 165 else would have bought.

Actually in green with TZA!!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1040 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
georvu wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:50 pm
Sold AT&T

Looking at BABA... wasn't at desk to get dlhunter price of 165 else would have bought.

Actually in green with TZA!!
Why did you sell ATT?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Rakalraj