Tags:
None
Aug 18, 2013
132 posts
45 upvotes
NCR
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:42 pm
Been trying something different the last couple week, focusing on momentum buying only. Posted a couple trades on here. This has been my trading for the past 10 days.

Nov 30th : bought 5000 ACB @ $6.50
Nov 30th : sold 5000 ACB @ $7.75
19% return
Trading 30 million shares a day.

Dec 1st : bought 10,000 NMX @ $2
Currently @ $2.17, sell order at $2.50
9% return as of today, stop loss set @ $2.10 to protect 5% return.
Trading between 3 and 5 million shares a day.

Dec 6th : bought 5000 GGI @ $3.39
Currently $4.14, sell order at $4.41
22% return as of today, stop loss set @ $3.90 to protect 15% return.

Dec 6th : bought 40,000 SRJ @ ¢5
Currently ¢6.5, sell order for ¢10
30% return as of today, no stop loss.
Trading over 8 million shares a day for the last 2 days...

These stocks seem to be purely news driven, or speculation? Plan is to be out of all positions tomorrow regardless of sell orders as I don't want to be in any of them over the weekend. Rinse and repeat next week with new momentum plays with a goal of 20%+ return per week for the month of December...
That's amazing. did the same thing but it didn't pan out. What's the trick?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1541 posts
512 upvotes
The NORTH
xxboarderxx wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:15 pm
That's amazing. did the same thing but it didn't pan out. What's the trick?
Avoid the noise, search for one of two things. NMX I found by running a screener for stocks between $1 and $10 that had over half a million shares traded and we're within 5% of thier 52 week high. Once I had the list it was simply going through each one and review thier chart. NMX has been making new 52 week highs since June. Looked like a great momentum play and the volume was picking up.

*Can't post an image from imgur???
link to chart

For both GGI and ACB it was strictly following the volume and using Bollinger Bands / SMA to find an entry point then calculating out an exit point. Keep an eye on the movement through out the day, use stop losses to protect the potential downside and move the stop loss up as needed. I have watch lists for the top volume stocks over the last 10 days, knocking off stocks that have volume dry up and go back to review them throughout the day as a I have capital to invest.
I'm lucky in that there is only one day a week that I cannot watch the market till 2pm. Two days a week I can watch it all day.

My original thesis was to take $30k and see if I could simply get a 5 to 10 percent return weekly. I watched a tonne of YouTube content on momentum trading and they are all American as it's not only easier to watch premarket but they generally have better tools. I have been using think or swim linked to my TDDI account but suck at using it. I'm doing all my SMA/Bollinger Bands on my TDDI account refreshing the charting screen, LOL. I'm thinking of getting the active trader platform with level 2 data to help with research and charting.

I can't believe the returns so far and I mean I could be getting lucky but thats one hell of a lucky streak so far...
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1541 posts
512 upvotes
The NORTH
Annnnnd trading has been halted on GGI...
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2121 posts
100 upvotes
Markham
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 9:26 am
Annnnnd trading has been halted on GGI...
Ruh Roh, looks like another pump and dump. From 11 cents to 5.27 in a year?!
Aug 18, 2013
132 posts
45 upvotes
NCR
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:51 am
Avoid the noise, search for one of two things. NMX I found by running a screener for stocks between $1 and $10 that had over half a million shares traded and we're within 5% of thier 52 week high. Once I had the list it was simply going through each one and review thier chart. NMX has been making new 52 week highs since June. Looked like a great momentum play and the volume was picking up.

link to chart

For both GGI and ACB it was strictly following the volume and using Bollinger Bands / SMA to find an entry point then calculating out an exit point. Keep an eye on the movement through out the day, use stop losses to protect the potential downside and move the stop loss up as needed. I have watch lists for the top volume stocks over the last 10 days, knocking off stocks that have volume dry up and go back to review them throughout the day as a I have capital to invest.
I'm lucky in that there is only one day a week that I cannot watch the market till 2pm. Two days a week I can watch it all day.

My original thesis was to take $30k and see if I could simply get a 5 to 10 percent return weekly. I watched a tonne of YouTube content on momentum trading and they are all American as it's not only easier to watch premarket but they generally have better tools. I have been using think or swim linked to my TDDI account but suck at using it. I'm doing all my SMA/Bollinger Bands on my TDDI account refreshing the charting screen, LOL. I'm thinking of getting the active trader platform with level 2 data to help with research and charting.

I can't believe the returns so far and I mean I could be getting lucky but thats one hell of a lucky streak so far...
Oh...so much to learn. Thank you very much for that helpful insight and congrats to your winnings. I've been investing for awhile but trading only recently now that I have a bit of a bank roll to play with. Trading is intense but really fun. I find it requires much more technical analysis and just a bit of news. Is it a must to have level 2 for trading?
Nov 15, 2016
95 posts
26 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:51 am

link to chart

Just curious as to what screener you used to find the stocks for half a million shares being traded, was it Trading View?
Aug 18, 2013
132 posts
45 upvotes
NCR
Toad99 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:46 am
Just curious as to what screener you used to find the stocks for half a million shares being traded, was it Trading View?
Your trading platform should have that feature. I'm with Questrade and there's an icon called screener and then you just enter your parameters
Nov 15, 2016
95 posts
26 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:48 am
Your trading platform should have that feature. I'm with Questrade and there's an icon called screener and then you just enter your parameters
Thank you! Im on QT recently and didn't see that feature, appreciate the help
Feb 29, 2008
153 posts
19 upvotes
Brampton
jerryhung wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 2:16 pm
VRX is +10% today and new 52w high $25.xx CAD, wow
Would've been attractive if it wasn't for their debt
Aug 17, 2008
641 posts
203 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:33 am
Bought 100 shares of Laurentian Bank at $55.83. I am starting small for now in case no further announcements are made. I will keep monitoring the situation and make a move accordingly.
Agree this will take time to play out. Swing traded it. Will look to re-enter next week. Think this has a chance to see 60 handle again.

New long ECA.to today.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1541 posts
512 upvotes
The NORTH
Kept my sell order @ $4.41 for GGI, filled at $4.86 when the the halt ended. $7,350 profit @ 43% return.

Lowered sell order on SRJ to 7.5¢, filled. Didn't want to carry it into the weekend. $1000 profit @ 50% return.

Lower sell order on NMX to $2.25, not filled so I am still carrying it. But it's at $2.19 so I have an unrealized profit of $1900 @ just about 10% return.

That's a 51% return on the original $32,500 in 8 days.

Please understand that this isn't typical, I am not a professional and I do believe I got very lucky on the GGI investment. I stand by the ACB, NMX and SRJ trades but no way did I see that much upside in GGI.

Will be spending a good chunk of time Sunday planning out next week.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20461 posts
3158 upvotes
Waterloo
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 5:34 pm
Kept my sell order @ $4.41 for GGI, filled at $4.86 when the the halt ended. $7,350 profit @ 43% return.

Lowered sell order on SRJ to 7.5¢, filled. Didn't want to carry it into the weekend. $1000 profit @ 50% return.

Lower sell order on NMX to $2.25, not filled so I am still carrying it. But it's at $2.19 so I have an unrealized profit of $1900 @ just about 10% return.

That's a 51% return on the original $32,500 in 8 days.

Please understand that this isn't typical, I am not a professional and I do believe I got very lucky on the GGI investment. I stand by the ACB, NMX and SRJ trades but no way did I see that much upside in GGI.

Will be spending a good chunk of time Sunday planning out next week.
Lucky/Timing god is on your side for sure, always happen to sell at the HIGH and not even stopped out once

GGI closed -6%
Day's Range: 3.850 - 4.950
https://ca.investing.com/equities/garib ... urces-corp.
Prev. Close 3.89
Day's Range 3.85 - 4.95
Open 4.9
52 wk Range 0.11 - 5.27
EPS - 0.01

Volume 3,222,246
Market Cap 401M
Average Volume (3m) 557,661

1-Year Change2660%
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
2867 posts
1640 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Really considering $RAD ...what are your thoughts?
#WeTheNorth
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20461 posts
3158 upvotes
Waterloo
zaidyboy wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 12:16 pm
Really considering $RAD ...what are your thoughts?
As someone who's -50% in RAD (avg around $4?), never ever touch it. I can't believe it had a BO offer $9 from WBA.. and it's now $1.8 USD, OMG

but if you want to gamble and hope for a buyout, get some
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

IrwinW, kes, Jermyzy