jerryhung wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:51 pm
Market melt-up, no other explaination

US Airlines ATH despite oil at 3-year high, okay
Oil rig count UP today, oil still record high, okay
AMZN really hasn't gone RED in 2018, and is +12% YTD already, okay
and GOLD is also up

Nothing is down, besides Weed stocks (today) I guess
Utilities and REITs are also down. Also many financials are mildly down. The market's being a bit ridiculous lately, but there are still opportunities in some pockets.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4161 posts
551 upvotes
Montreal
Reports say DE Shaw took activist position in LOW.

I am long but it smells very fishy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5194 posts
1652 upvotes
Thornhill
Doubled exposure in Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) @ $179.20 US.

Will hold into earnings.

I didn't understand the reason behind the news feed change as I don't have a Facebook account but if what WSJ reports is half true, this should be bullish not negative to FB's bottom line...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/marketers- ... 1515785725
Feb 26, 2017
646 posts
277 upvotes
Sold about 1/3 of my BNS at 82.02 and 1/10 of RY at 105.16. Bought FB in my TFSA at 179.45 and also started a very small position in XEF.

It was a pretty impulsive move. Not sure if this was a good idea.
Nov 1, 2013
185 posts
20 upvotes
Bought FB at 179.11
I hope one day I can sell @ 200 but it will drop couple of times before that, most likely.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21534 posts
3734 upvotes
Waterloo
Dow is only 1% (or 1 day) away from 26000, LOL, after crossing 25K just LAST WEEK (Jan 4th)

SPY is +4% YTD
DOW is +4.5% YTD

quoting someone
Unreal
2 straight weeks and 9 days of UP! RSI off the charts
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3800 posts
777 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:11 pm
Reports say DE Shaw took activist position in LOW.
I am long but it smells very fishy.
Never heard of this firm before, but rising tide lifts all ships
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3800 posts
777 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:34 pm
SPY is +4% YTD
DOW is +4.5% YTD

quoting someone
Unreal
2 straight weeks and 9 days of UP! RSI off the charts
This, of course, can continue for some time. But its not investing anymore. Gogo markets that take stair steps up and elevetor shaft down.

Im selling stocks Im long and that i dont anticipate a lot of upside. Closing all downside exposure too.
There are signs we could turn soon:
VIX futures ended up on a massive day
Yen rallied against dollar
Gold is up
Bonds finished strong and expecting more upside
Volume has been pathetic, mostly machines trading.
Yet, new funds inflow is some kind of record - typical chasing by retail investors in the ending bull market.

Sold all M, NKE, CF
Sold covered calls in GE, TEVA, HTZ, GILD, CELG

Will keep TAP, BUD and a little EXPE as they are rising

P.S. dont get FB enthusiasm. Im long, but stock has run up way ahead of EPS growth. Its only down 3-4%. Redesigning news feed will limit ads, although I haven't seen how it looks now (did not log in for 8 years). Lol
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2672 posts
1174 upvotes
Vancouver
Finally bought 20 shares of Boeing a couple days ago, wish I had bought more now (I've been "waiting for a dip" for 2 years to enter on Boeing which instead lead to ATH...). We'll see what earnings brings and may add more.

Wondering if I should add to my ROBO position now or wait a bit...
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3800 posts
777 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:33 pm
Finally bought 20 shares of Boeing a couple days ago, wish I had bought more now (I've been "waiting for a dip" for 2 years to enter on Boeing which instead lead to ATH...)
I call this ultimate FOMO
You say 2y? BA was 100 in Jan/Feb 2016.
Its funny how beaten down stocks unwanted, and runaway trains are scooped up mindlessly. Good luck
Mar 30, 2017
264 posts
103 upvotes
Bought pony.to yesterday @2.11
5/11/18: profit YTD -3.50%😥
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2672 posts
1174 upvotes
Vancouver
dlhunter wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:42 pm
I call this ultimate FOMO
You say 2y? BA was 100 in Jan/Feb 2016.
Its funny how beaten down stocks unwanted, and runaway trains are scooped up mindlessly. Good luck
I'm just posting what I bought (as per thread title).
I think it was also you who ragged on me when I bought Amazon a few months ago telling me I must like losing money. Are these comments really necessary? How do they encourage people to post what they bought/what they are thinking of buying? It's one thing to disagree with the investment, and another thing to call "mindless" and "like losing money" (I apologize if this wasn't you, but I'm pretty sure it was)

edit: found it, page 950
dlhunter wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:03 pm
AMZN EPS miss, REV beat
stock down 3% AFH
Jermyzy wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:06 pm
Hrm...may look to add if it goes below $1000
dlhunter wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:08 pm
why do you hate money?
Jun 28, 2016
267 posts
139 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:05 pm
This, of course, can continue for some time. But its not investing anymore. Gogo markets that take stair steps up and elevetor shaft down.

Im selling stocks Im long and that i dont anticipate a lot of upside. Closing all downside exposure too.
There are signs we could turn soon:
VIX futures ended up on a massive day
Yen rallied against dollar
Gold is up
Bonds finished strong and expecting more upside
Volume has been pathetic, mostly machines trading.
Yet, new funds inflow is some kind of record - typical chasing by retail investors in the ending bull market.
I basically agree with you. On the other hand, I basically held this view early last year and was dead wrong. I did okay last year, but holding 60-75% cash in HISAs all year is a big drag on returns (my portfolio only returned about 7%). Clearly, I still agree, as my investing strategy hasn't changed much, but I'm looking at that Trump tax break (probably largely priced in, but who knows in this market) and wondering whether this party might drag on for another year or even another 2 years. Certainly, while there are many warnings signs (crazy debt loads, financial bubbles, Fed unwinding, the silliest bond offerings the world has ever seen in Europe, narrowing yield spread) it's all just the same set of warning signs as last year (just worse, as the debt loads and bubbles have grown, while interest rates have crept up). There's really nothing to say the zany Gogo market of last year might not Gogo right to S&P 3500 (that's only another 25-30%, right?).

I guess we'll see what the future holds, but I've given up on trying to call a top. I just manage my portfolio in a way which will minimize draw down when it comes, and try to capture part of the upside in the meantime.
Feb 4, 2017
396 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
MajorPaine wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 12:18 pm
Thinking of buying cineplex on this dip, whats your thoughts?
Don't buy until negative momentum subsides. Wait for it to be in green first before even thinking of buying.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

userID