1543 posts
528 upvotes
GTA
dlhunter wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:56 am
bot NAS pre-market 6460, sold 6505

edit3: market turning, covering. 2629, 6450
a request for clarification please

by NAS, did you mean Nasdaq, or which underlying symbol was the trade?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3872 posts
825 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:02 am
a request for clarification please

by NAS, did you mean Nasdaq, or which underlying symbol was the trade?
NAS futures, symbol NQ
ES is SPX mini futures. Stop now break even 2630. I think we are going higher to 2700.

Edit: trailing stop 2640, locking in 10 points. Break of overnight high 2655 confirmation of continued bullishness.
I will add to long position. Stay long
Last edited by dlhunter on Feb 12th, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
1071 posts
151 upvotes
STP123 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:37 am
Added more FTS and EMA
imho, overreaction on EMA earnings...they got bad number only because of 1 time tax charge... adjusted earnings are excellent

net loss in the quarter was $228 million, or $1.06 per share, compared to a profit of $70 million, or $0.34. Adjusted earnings, which exclude a $317 million charge for the revaluation of U.S. deferred taxes and $48 million in mark-to-market charges, was $137 million, or $0.64, up 32% from $104 million, or $0.51, in the fourth quarter of 2016.

Emera said the rise in adjusted profit came on an improved result from its Florida & New Mexico unit.
NDP for Unions, PC for people. Only PC can save Ontario.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1954 posts
215 upvotes
I personally think EMA is a great buy at today's levels.

I added to STN today. Hopefully the massive infrastructure spend that the US is talking about will benefit them over the next few years. Overall I like Stantec's business. I think water and environmental concerns are not going anywhere. The valuation isn't cheap on a PE basis but I expect that to improve on a go forward basis. Revenues have grown and they have a sizable backlog of projects. There's room for future dividend increases. And they are looking to continue growing both organically and through acquisitions.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1451 posts
713 upvotes
Forgot about IVN.TO this morning. Stink bid ($3.01) put in.
Feb 25, 2005
136 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Quick question. Looking to pick up some Molson (TAP). Anyone know if there would there be any issues picking up the TPX.B on the cdn side. Very lightly traded and wide bid/ask spreads. I could always journal over to US side. Curious if I can avoid DLR for a buy.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2407 posts
1049 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
treva84 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:36 am
Adding to:

CAN: CNR, ENB, TRI

US: VZ, PAYX

New Position:

US: PG
Also added to: DIS, CVS
STP123 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 11:37 am
Added more FTS and EMA
gibor365365 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:02 pm
imho, overreaction on EMA earnings...they got bad number only because of 1 time tax charge... adjusted earnings are excellent

net loss in the quarter was $228 million, or $1.06 per share, compared to a profit of $70 million, or $0.34. Adjusted earnings, which exclude a $317 million charge for the revaluation of U.S. deferred taxes and $48 million in mark-to-market charges, was $137 million, or $0.64, up 32% from $104 million, or $0.51, in the fourth quarter of 2016.

Emera said the rise in adjusted profit came on an improved result from its Florida & New Mexico unit.
Capt. wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 1:07 pm
I personally think EMA is a great buy at today's levels.
Nearly out of money but I think I'm going to move some to buy EMA - perhaps it's herding behaviour; my rationalizing brain agrees that the price is very attractive for a long term hold!
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1310 posts
487 upvotes
Mississauga
treva84 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 2:55 pm
Nearly out of money but I think I'm going to move some to buy EMA - perhaps it's herding behaviour; my rationalizing brain agrees that the price is very attractive for a long term hold!
Some nice picks there treva. What are your thoughts on CPX(TSX)?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2407 posts
1049 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
STP123 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:18 pm
Some nice picks there treva. What are your thoughts on CPX(TSX)?
Honestly I haven't spent much time looking at it in depth. Obviously the yield is high and the dividend is growing and it appears undervalued.

Superficially it looks like they have ongoing declining revenues and few years of declining cash flows, even with decreasing cap ex spending. As of late it appears the cash flows are growing although revenues are not.

Looking at some stuff on their IR website it looks like previously they had more unpredictable / less recurring revenues and management is trying to increase the proportion of longer term contracts to make revenues more predictable and recurring. I'd want to dig a bit deeper though and figure out why revenues are declining.

I'm not smarter than the market and the above information is likely priced in. I think too given the sell off of utilities as of late there's probably a margin of safety (but, how much) for someone buying. At least initially my thoughts are that I don't know enough to pull the trigger and there are larger caps in this space (ie EMA, CU, FTS) that are probably higher quality and also undervalued at present. Therefore, I wouldn't invest in CPX given the alternatives.

However thinking about this more, most investors would probably share the above sentiment, which would suggest on a relative basis CPX may be more attractive as more people shun it. Also with the high dividend (~7%) and management's 7% growth target, if you were to buy this and DRIP it you could do quite well assuming share prices remain suppressed in the short term and the dividend isn't cut in the medium to long term.
Last edited by treva84 on Feb 12th, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1310 posts
487 upvotes
Mississauga
treva84 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:37 pm
Honestly I haven't spent much time looking at it in depth. Obviously the yield is high and the dividend is growing and it appears undervalued.

Superficially it looks like they have ongoing declining revenues and few years of declining cash flows, even with decreasing cap ex spending. As of late it appears the cash flows are growing although revenues are not.

Looking at some stuff on their IR website it looks like previously they had more unpredictable / less recurring revenues and management is trying to increase the proportion of longer term contracts to make revenues more predictable and recurring. I'd want to dig a bit deeper though and figure out why revenues are declining.

I'm not smarter than the market and the above information is likely priced in. I think too given the sell off of utilities as of late there's probably a margin of safety (but, how much) for someone buying. For me, personally, I don't know enough to pull the trigger and there are larger caps in this space (ie EMA, CU, FTS) that are probably higher quality and also undervalued at present.
Thanks. I think you are right. No sense taking on more risk than necessary. Lots on sale now.