Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
notenoughsleep wrote: Well, technically some people could be selling at a loss as they fear that they may drop further
Depends on their cost base... If you listen to all of the financial channels, they, for some reason, are always using the YTD numbers of the market being up 20% and seem to completely ignore that 3 week period of time in December of 2018 where the market really crashed by 20%... So, if you were lucky enough to be able to completely ignore 2018, then it's a profit-taking move. :)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
It seems trump is also purposely escalating trade wars when market hits peak... it seems he has done this a few times
Before.

Seems like there could market manipulation also happening here with trump helping some of his Wall Street buddies.

I suspect in due time trump will return saying he would like to make a deal with China.

Pure manipulation.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1110 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I picture him having a secret trading account in Russia and making a fortune off his market manipulating tweets! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EasyCompany251 wrote: Got some cash sitting around.......probably going to get a nice price drop tomorrow on TSX......buy or wait some more? Probably better to space out and dollar cost average......
If the past 1.5 years is any guide, we seem to be stuck in a trading range where Trump (or someone connected to the US government) goes nuts, the market sells off by 5, 10, 20% and then rebounds within a few months after another some peacemaking statement or action... I suspect this time to be no different. The only question is how much more do we have to go down before someone comes out and makes those statements. Will it be tomorrow? Or another 5% more down... or maybe another 10%.

Remember this latest issue started when Trump didn't listen to all but one of his advisors and decided to tweet. Will he listen in the near future? Who knows...
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Last Friday August 2, I bought 100 shares of HD and 100 shares of Visa. Duh! I shoulda waited until today.

Today I placed some low ball orders in the US side of my account for Canadian stocks. I got CM (CIBC). I will collect my dividend in USD and get the dividend tax credit. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

If CM falls further tomorrow I will cry or buy more.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
cocotheparrot wrote: If CM falls further tomorrow I will cry or buy more.
lol maybe you will do both
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
There are many things that investors are concerned about, not just trade war issues. There is a very good possibility that we will see an inversion of the 2 year and 10 year US treasury bonds. That is when the yield on the 10 year note is less than than the 2 year note. The drop today in bond yields puts the Fed in the same position that they were in prior to their .25 % hike last week. They are going to have to drop another .75 just to try and make the yield curve look not so dire.

Germany's bond yields are now all negative from the 2 year all the way out to the 30 year. Can you imagine handing the government your money for 30 years knowing that they will give you back less 30 years later?

There is riots in Hong Kong....if China gets involved things will get tense very quickly. Kyle Bass recently spoke about all the wealthy Hong Kong folks that are looking for a way to get themselves, and their cash out.

Pakistan and India are having a spat over Kashmir which could lead to war.

Lots to consider before going bargain hunting too soon.
Dec 25, 2015
530 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
- CNBC is doing a special segment tonight called, “MARKETS IN TURMOIL.”
Images
  • 38C012C7-C21D-4FE1-9F4F-B27221426EC8.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Maybe it's the long weekend beers talking but I'm thinking also about BBBY Astonished Face
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Jul 24, 2014
342 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This time is for real, the treasury department just declared China currency manipulator and will take further actions.

It will escalate further, for a while.
Reduce exposure, until it's over, I did it first thing in the morning, by PM already realized it's a good move
Index Fund vs Individual Stock..."tigerdemi is a great man" tigerdemi said to himself in his dream.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2978 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
tigerdemi wrote: This time is for real, the treasury department just declared China currency manipulator and will take further actions.

Reduce exposure, until it's over, I did it first thing in the morning, by PM already realized it's a good move
It is a pay week - perfect timing
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tigerdemi wrote: This time is for real, the treasure department just declared China currency manipulator and will take further actions.

The funny thing is if you think about it logically, any country that pegs their currency to something is manipulating their currency as it doesn't float freely. According to some large US hedge fund managers, China may actually let their currency float even more in the next few days (ie reducing their manipulation) which, most people would agree, will cause their currency to fall in light of the current trade issues.

In other words, since the trade war started, China has been manipulating their currency but not to their advantage but to the US as China held the rate fairly steady for during this time and only now has started to reduce their pegging.
Jul 24, 2014
342 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Craftsman, it is a war. Trade war is a war.

Trump is not going to backdown, I don't think he will.
He will minimally escalate it to a point that he could declare victory, election is coming.

Until then, I will be on the sideline with most of my fund
Index Fund vs Individual Stock..."tigerdemi is a great man" tigerdemi said to himself in his dream.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
tigerdemi wrote: This time is for real, the treasury department just declared China currency manipulator and will take further actions.

tigerdemi wrote: Craftsman, it is a war. Trade war is a war.

Trump is not going to backdown, I don't think he will.
He will minimally escalate it to a point that he could declare victory, election is coming.

Until then, I will be on the sideline with most of my fund
Weren’t you buying BAC or something last week for a “long term hold”?
Last edited by treva84 on Aug 5th, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
tigerdemi wrote: Added googl and BAC

Long term hold
MrMom wrote: Please define "Long term". TIA
tigerdemi wrote: I had both for over 9 years, adding again today
Not thinking selling any in three years
Yup there it is.
Sep 18, 2016
501 posts
489 upvotes
treva84 wrote: Weren’t you buying BAC or something last week for a “long term hold”?
that one doesn't know what he said yesterday, Treva.
"Do not allow yourself to become resentful, deceitful or arrogant"
Jordan B. Peterson
Jul 24, 2014
342 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Guys, my own money. Get a life these 2 above.
There is nothing wrong avoiding 6 percent loss.

If I bought it all back tomorrow end of day.
Mar 9, 2017
111 posts
50 upvotes
tigerdemi wrote: Guys, my own money. Get a life these 2 above.
There is nothing wrong avoiding 6 percent loss.

If I bought it all back tomorrow end of day.
but which is it? you just said you are holding long term, then next day say you sold everything?
Jul 24, 2014
342 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto, ON
goodfella99 wrote: but which is it? you just said you are holding long term, then next day say you sold everything?
Correct, have a great night
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
tigerdemi wrote: Correct, have a great night
If nothing else, you are very pleasant. I hope you have a great night too.