Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I would think about trading something with a similar or lower yield at this point.
I'm buying this as a long term hold. There is some risk but I've kept the position pretty small at 0.7%. I see it as a good way to add to my dividend income.

CHR previously had a yield of close to 10% in December 2018. I've been watching it for a while but have always ended up buying other things.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2017
1116 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
Ended up buying some RUN. Solar is real hot right now, and this dip is barely touching it.

Also bought some puts in HSBC.
Dec 25, 2015
530 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
Chance7652 wrote: I'm buying this as a long term hold. There is some risk but I've kept the position pretty small at 0.7%. I see it as a good way to add to my dividend income.

CHR previously had a yield of close to 10% in December 2018. I've been watching it for a while but have always ended up buying other things.
If CHR goes back to the Dec lows it could be interesting. It's not far, if the general sell off continues we may even see a 4 handle on CHR-t
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
wolfs004 wrote: Haha ;) I saw a lot of bay street guys own the name... Can't go wrong with the parent, BAM...
I agree, unless you're specifically looking for dividend income, I'd own the parent company BAM
Aug 15, 2003
495 posts
22 upvotes
What do you guys think of V, MA, and AXP? Still rich valuations?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
oh many, my TD Order Status page are so long these 2 days (good, or bad, ha)
wished we have $0 commission up in Canada too

could be another Dow -1000 points day, WOW

These U.S. stocks are falling the most Tuesday as the market slides for the fourth straight day - MarketWatch
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/these ... =home-page
Last edited by jerryhung on Feb 25th, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Dec 19, 2010
986 posts
523 upvotes
So many buying opportunities, don’t know which ones to pick and if I buy now or wait to see what happens next few days.

What are thoughts on SBUX, AXP and MELI and SHOP? All buys are meant to be long positions.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
jimbojones wrote: What do you guys think of V, MA, and AXP? Still rich valuations?
I did add some to MA today. Could go down more, but my experience with V and MA is that any "dips" are short-lived.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
notenoughsleep wrote: I did add some to MA today. Could go down more, but my experience with V and MA is that any "dips" are short-lived.
Own both stocks.

Got calls in both today.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
For the space cadets.

Branson's Virgin Galactic posts quarterly loss of $73 million
Feb 25 (Reuters) - Billionaire Richard Branson's space tourism company, Virgin Galactic Holdings Inc <SPCE.N>, said on Tuesday net losses widened to $73 million in the fourth quarter from $46 million in the year-ago period, in its first financial results as a publicly traded company.
The fourth-quarter results come as the money-losing company is aiming for a first flight later this year with Branson on board, while seeking a new source of revenue in thousands of potential space travelers.

2 Updates
Virgin Galactic reports greater-than-expected quarterly loss, shares slide
TUE, FEB 25 2020 4:15 PM EST
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/virgin- ... -2019.html

• Virgin Galactic reported an EBITDA loss of $55 million, more than the $46.9 million loss expected according to analysts surveyed by FactSet.
  • The company reported just $529,000 of revenue for the fourth-quarter, below the $800,000 of revenue in its previous quarter.
  • But demands from potential customers continues to climb, with Virgin Galactic saying it’s received 7,957 “registrations of interest” since December 2018, more than double the 3,557 registrations of interest it reported three months ago.

"The company aims to be profitable by 2021."

Virgin Galactic will begin accepting $1,000 deposits toward space flight tickets for tourists
TUE, FEB 25 2020 4:10 PM EST
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/virgin- ... ckets.html
Last edited by MrMom on Feb 25th, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Dec 25, 2015
530 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
The thing about corrections, is that it always feels like the world is ending, today is no different than the past 15 corrections. Buy hand over fist if you have a 5+ year time view. Good day.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
Waiting to start new long-term investment position in AirCanada TSE: AC.

Staying on sidelines until earnings forecast across the market is revised lower hopefully due to Corona impact.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Chance7652 wrote: I'm buying this as a long term hold. There is some risk but I've kept the position pretty small at 0.7%. I see it as a good way to add to my dividend income.

I didn't mean do it was a quick trade for short term gain, I meant find some stock with a similar or lower yield in your portfolio that may not have the same level of potential stock price appreciation post crisis and swap the two in your portfolio. You can still hold CHR for as long as you want but this way you can also lock in some capital gain as well if you decide to sell it at a later date.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
notenoughsleep wrote: I agree, unless you're specifically looking for dividend income, I'd own the parent company BAM
There's really no reason that you can't own a few of the Brookfields to custom configure your dividend income, areas of exposures, and possible capital appreciation.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
callmebob wrote: So many buying opportunities, don’t know which ones to pick and if I buy now or wait to see what happens next few days.

What are thoughts on SBUX, AXP and MELI and SHOP? All buys are meant to be long positions.
Anything that has had great moves, like SHOP, without corresponding great fundamentals will probably be used as a source of funds for other purchases in the near future - ie SHOP, SPCE... will probably get sold off to fund other purchases especially for those who have BIG gains in them recently.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jeenyus1 wrote: Waiting to start new long-term investment position in AirCanada TSE: AC.

Staying on sidelines until earnings forecast across the market is revised lower hopefully due to Corona impact.
You don't have to wait too long as the shoes are dropping for the airlines - UAL announced that they are pulling their full year forecast. I suspect that the other major US airlines will do the same soon as we see the fear spread to European destinations. While that happens, we should see continued downward pressure on the sector.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Nobody knows how covid-19 will turn out, but the narrative of "this is just a China thing" slid to becoming an "Asia thing" then this narrative was broken at the end of last week and during the weekend as we now know it has begun to spread to the Middle East and importantly Europe. Europe's Schengen agreement means open borders for member countries, which has been one strength of the massive EU economy, but also means citizens of members can travel freely.

World economy from SARS is much different from today so the impacts are less known. Briefing today noted potential vaccine will be in trials some time late next month, but total time is about 1 1/2 years out pending all trials.

No hurry to go all in, but if lots of cash then there's lots of flexibility to buy in slowly.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Dec 19, 2012
68 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
USA CDC Health official warns Americans it's not a question of if coronavirus will spread, but when

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/health/c ... index.html

They say don't time the market but this is a clear sign to get out of the market now because it's about to get ugly. The market crash was invetiable with all time high, over valuation and Bernie potentially becoming the USA president is all playing factor. Fellow investors don't get left holding the bag you will have better entry point as this market crash will take a while before it bottoms out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/health/c ... index.html
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
craftsman wrote: You don't have to wait too long as the shoes are dropping for the airlines - UAL announced that they are pulling their full year forecast. I suspect that the other major US airlines will do the same soon as we see the fear spread to European destinations. While that happens, we should see continued downward pressure on the sector.
It's insane how fast AIRLINE stocks crash (no pun), AC, HA, and even JETS (ETF) is 52w low. Of course I BTFD too early
Look at AAL or LUV (Southwest, who probably doesn't have any China/Int'l travel)

Maybe BRK can buy an airline company now LOL
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)