Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1201 posts
516 upvotes
napoleonz wrote: Anybody can explain why is GOLD ETFs are down today in this sell-off? (E.g. GLD)
because people are selling their ridiculously overpriced gold???

there was rumors you could activate your gold bars like a power stone to gain virus immunity but it turned out to be false.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
DJIA going to finish in the green. Calling it.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14471 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
CCHIPSS wrote: Sold all my stocks today. Every single one. Not telling anyone to follow me. Just that I have never seen and never dealt with every single stock dropping like 5-6% in a single day on such heavy volume. And that virus is not getting any better. Could cause city wide quarantine in every city, which would kill the economy. I made a ton of money (% wise) over the past few years, so going to sit on the sidelines for now.
Thank you for selling.
RolandCouch wrote: DJIA going to finish in the green. Calling it.
Hope not. Did some initial vacuum buying on the open. Was and still am hoping for a fresh wave of aggressive selling before the close. Hoping people don't want to be long over the weekend.....and smack my stink bids.

Sell me all your garbage terrible stocks that are going to zero. Please sell them to me.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
cartfan123 wrote: Thank you for selling.

Hope not. Did some initial vacuum buying on the open. Was and still am hoping for a fresh wave of aggressive selling before the close. Hoping people don't want to be long over the weekend.....and smack my stink bids.

Sell me all your garbage terrible stocks that are going to zero. Please sell them to me.
Just a gut feeling....I put in some bids and basically nothing is hitting the prices that I set...everything rebounded above. Maybe I'm too early and it will go lower and maybe it will bounce and I set my bids too low. All I did was decide what I thought were good prices to buy and using money that I don't need for the next 20 years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Hope not. Did some initial vacuum buying on the open. Was and still am hoping for a fresh wave of aggressive selling before the close. Hoping people don't want to be long over the weekend.....and smack my stink bids.
Same... hoping there's an aggressive sell off so I can close some puts. I'm still holding quite a few calls 3-4 months out.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alexcalvado wrote: so you realized a -15% loss from peak… think it is too early to rebuy anything anyway.. made a killing today with SNC … but will keep most of these shares .. the magnitude of the fall is not surprising at all.. the push during last 12 months was unsustainable
Forget about the last 12 months... the last 3 months (prior to this 'correction') has really been the period that was unsustainable. Those quarters a year ago were really just regaining those losses from the last 'correction' in December of 2018.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3922 posts
305 upvotes
What is going on with EFTs today? Some of them are down much more than the Index they follow.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
masoud100 wrote: How is AMD stock to buy right now. Yesterday it was done but now it's up again over 3% at $45.40 USD.
From the looks of it, the US is going from one stock rotation to another as the market goes down - ie not every sector is going down at the same time as investors are selling one sector to buy into another. The first few days were the high growth ones - such as AMD - which basically got hit hard, now we are seeing the 'core' portfolio stocks with those high growth stocks catching a bid.

Is this an indication of the bottom? Maybe at least with the current news cycle.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Justin wrote: What is going on with EFTs today? Some of them are down much more than the Index they follow.
ETFs will always lag the market to a certain degree as they don't buy the index but rather buy the individual stocks of the index so that they can track it. With any large market moves, it takes time for ETFs to catch up on these trades as they don't keep cash on the sidelines for these purposes unlike mutual funds.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
I am not a buyer yet. I bought some dollarama earlier in the week, but I don't plan on buying anything else. This drop has been driven by lower eps forecasts due to the corona virus, and some less than ideal earnings reports.

If the forecasts come true next quarter and we see less than expected earnings next quarter, and news of a recession, and greater virus spread, this is when the hammer will really fall. Especially in Canada; I think we are particularly vulnerable since we have been in a low interest environment for a while, with low growth, and late cycle. Add that to the tariff fights, and rail disruptions that already put a damper on the economy. I don't think our economy is strong enough to deal with all of this.

What am I going to buy when I feel ready? Going to look at loading up on ZUP at or near a dividend payout of 8%.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1939 posts
2938 upvotes
Burlington, ON
TruE SkiLLS wrote: Same... hoping there's an aggressive sell off so I can close some puts. I'm still holding quite a few calls 3-4 months out.
2PM is when margin calls hit if I recall, so you might get your chance.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: ETFs will always lag the market to a certain degree as they don't buy the index but rather buy the individual stocks of the index so that they can track it. With any large market moves, it takes time for ETFs to catch up on these trades as they don't keep cash on the sidelines for these purposes unlike mutual funds.
I've been wondering if at some level the fears about ETFs are being realized with this market downturn. Fastest (or one of the fastest) corrections ever.

Investors liquidating ETFs and investors unloading stocks. ETFs will basically be rebalancing to match. There's going to be some mismatch going on.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
itoothache wrote: very true but the response of the public is different
lock down modes in countries where case numbers are higher
it will eventually happen everywhere including north america
you are right though it's not much different from influenza or other types of viral disease
And it hasn't even hit pandemic level yet and we've got all our current responses.

Market dictates overall sentiment. Public is trained to look at it. Even Trump tied it to his presidency.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
johnnychi wrote: I've been wondering if at some level the fears about ETFs are being realized with this market downturn. Fastest (or one of the fastest) corrections ever.

Investors liquidating ETFs and investors unloading stocks. ETFs will basically be rebalancing to match. There's going to be some mismatch going on.
I wouldn't doubt it. ETFs have been marketed as a cheap way of getting into the market place with index ETFs being labeled as the cheapest AND best way to do it. I'm sure that many people who are savings for their retirement in the past 10 or 15 years have been buying the ETFs on the advice of their neighbours, family members, co-workers... without really understanding what they are buying and how ETFs will react in these types of situations. If you combine that with the whole DIY investment theme that has been running through the market, you get people who may not have anyone to turn to or ask about these things except for their neighbours, family members, co-workers... who may not know too much either.

I remember back in 2008, one of my co-workers sold everything he had in the market on the very day the market bottomed and hasn't been back since as he didn't truly understand what he purchased, how those purchases would perform, and didn't match his risk tolerances. I suspect that a lot of the selling are the same type of people unfortunately.
Aug 12, 2017
767 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
Watching SPCE, might buy it as a speculative investment it if it goes down before markets close.
Last edited by discostar on Feb 28th, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
vfv is at 6 month low
Nov 12, 2014
130 posts
110 upvotes
Levis, QC
johnnychi wrote: I've been wondering if at some level the fears about ETFs are being realized with this market downturn. Fastest (or one of the fastest) corrections ever.

TSX orders went down at 2pm yesterday. SP500 lost another 2% from then till close.

You had a bunch of ETF that closed much higher than their underlying value because of that on CDN exchange.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
2029 posts
804 upvotes
Vancouver
freilona wrote: All the stocks in my watchlist fell to their EMA(200), some way below, except CSU and CU. Seriously considering buying CSU in my TFSA - and continue watching the rest in my Test Dividend Portfolio (I was “paper buying” them as they fell)
Just out of curiousity and small talk when did you guys turn over from index investing to individual stock trading? And why? From what I remember a few years ago you were very much pro index investing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
divx wrote: vfv is at 6 month low
Probably right about near when I bought it, ugh. Actually few months earlier than that but that means it's barely up.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I wouldn't doubt it. ETFs have been marketed as a cheap way of getting into the market place with index ETFs being labeled as the cheapest AND best way to do it. I'm sure that many people who are savings for their retirement in the past 10 or 15 years have been buying the ETFs on the advice of their neighbours, family members, co-workers... without really understanding what they are buying and how ETFs will react in these types of situations. If you combine that with the whole DIY investment theme that has been running through the market, you get people who may not have anyone to turn to or ask about these things except for their neighbours, family members, co-workers... who may not know too much either.

I remember back in 2008, one of my co-workers sold everything he had in the market on the very day the market bottomed and hasn't been back since as he didn't truly understand what he purchased, how those purchases would perform, and didn't match his risk tolerances. I suspect that a lot of the selling are the same type of people unfortunately.
Sounds like me in 2001 when I had money and tried to catch a falling knife of companies I never even heard of just because they were low. They went lower. Then bankrupt.
I wish I knew what I did now, or the very least an idea of stocks and how it worked, and potential growth after the crash.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)