Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Jeenyus1 wrote: He takes a very hands on approach.

Face With Tears Of Joy
The market must think he can plug all the holes in the economy.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Jeenyus1 wrote: He takes a very hands on approach.

Face With Tears Of Joy
cartfan123 wrote: The market must think he can plug all the holes in the economy.
First it's the Sander = Apocalypse narrative that got pushed everywhere on financial news (many examples, but last one I remember Berman on BNN saying don't discount Sanders). So him out of the way clears things.

Second, less uncertainty on potential President

Third, It's also likely that the market thinks Trump will win. Biden is an easy target for Trump.

Fringes are going to have a field day destroying him at no expense for Trump. Knowing Trump though, you already know he won't be able to resist saying things like:

Touchy uncle Biden, Ukrainian Biden, bribe taking family Biden, China stooge Biden, etc
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
johnnychi wrote: First it's the Sander = Apocalypse narrative that got pushed everywhere. So him out of the way clears things.

Third, It's also likely that the market thinks Trump will win. Biden is an easy target for Trump.

Fringes are going to have a field day destroying him at no expense for Trump. Knowing Trump though, you already know he won't be able to resist saying things like:

Touchy uncle Biden, Ukrainian Biden, bribe taking family Biden, China stooge Biden, etc
I don't really know Biden's campaign promises other than he's somewhat a typical "middle of the road" democrat but if he centers his campaign around tax cuts for the middle class and reduced geopolitical or even possibly reversal of China tarrifs, I think he might be good for the stock market as well even if he loses to Trump but the horizon definitely looks much clearer now with Sanders having a slimmer chance now.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote: anyone have insurance stocks? any recommendations that industry?
Insurance industry keep in mind IFC, SLF, MFC, GWO, POW (PWF?), etc some focus on different thing like property and casualty, health, etc.

Generally speaking, low rates are not good for financials in general. I think banks were taken flat footed with the half point cut.

Basic idea of the financial industry: banks borrow short term lend out long term. Insurers buy bonds and other yielding financial assets with insurance premiums.

Insurers typically take your insurance premium and buy safer things like bonds. When long term bond yields go down the returns are lower (and price may be higher. Though it also means bond prices go up benefiting existing holdings.)

Similar with banks getting hit by low rates. They borrow short term and lend out long term. In a healthy economy short term yields are low and long term rates are higher. When things are bad typically you hear about the yield curve inversion. This means long term yields go below short term. Banks end up borrowing at short term rates higher than their long term loans.

So rates go down and are compressed meaning they don't make as much.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
johnnychi wrote: First it's the Sander = Apocalypse narrative that got pushed everywhere on financial news (many examples, but last one I remember Berman on BNN saying don't discount Sanders). So him out of the way clears things.

Many have said he's got a good feel for the economy!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2018
1207 posts
3038 upvotes
SK
This week looking at SU, IPL, NTR, BCE. Probably deploy 25-35% of available cash to start and see where things go next week.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1841 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Still looking at MFC and AC. Might also add RY.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
2116 posts
2515 upvotes
Doubled down on my AVGO position.
- insider selling is a bit troubling
- earnings report on Mar 12 (est date)

Done buying as I'm fresh out o'cash.
SPX will have to hit Dec 2018 lows before I consider margin. ~2350

Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2519 upvotes
does it matter?
johnnychi wrote: Insurance industry keep in mind IFC, SLF, MFC, GWO, POW (PWF?), etc some focus on different thing like property and casualty, health, etc.

Generally speaking, low rates are not good for financials in general. I think banks were taken flat footed with the half point cut.

Basic idea of the financial industry: banks borrow short term lend out long term. Insurers buy bonds and other yielding financial assets with insurance premiums.

Insurers typically take your insurance premium and buy safer things like bonds. When long term bond yields go down the returns are lower (and price may be higher. Though it also means bond prices go up benefiting existing holdings.)

Similar with banks getting hit by low rates. They borrow short term and lend out long term. In a healthy economy short term yields are low and long term rates are higher. When things are bad typically you hear about the yield curve inversion. This means long term yields go below short term. Banks end up borrowing at short term rates higher than their long term loans.

Thanks for that info. Since my TFSA is almost full and have cash in unregistered account trying some new may be risky ventures.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
johnnychi wrote: Insurance industry keep in mind IFC, SLF, MFC, GWO, POW (PWF?), etc some focus on different thing like property and casualty, health, etc.

Interest rates are something to think about but the most important aspects of insurance are a companies underwriting ability. Rates can be moving in a favourable direction but at the end of they day if they suck underwriting and pay out more in claims than they take in it doesn't matter what rates are doing.

Also insurance companies are generally thought of as no moats but think about personal behaviours. Once someone has shopped around for a policy and committed, when it's up for renewal, do they re-initiate the shop around process or just generally renew, assuming service has been ok?

Out of all of the ones listed I own IFC and it's the only one on that list I would consider buying. It has lots of favourable aspects - quality underwriting, expanding into US in a somewhat fragmented industry, benefits from de-regulation in Canada, car owners are legally required to have insurance (unlike life or disability insurance), quality management. The problem with IFC is that it's pretty expensive right now.
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
treva84 wrote: Interest rates are something to think about but the most important aspects of insurance are a companies underwriting ability. Rates can be moving in a favourable direction but at the end of they day if they suck underwriting and pay out more in claims than they take in it doesn't matter what rates are doing.

Also insurance companies are generally thought of as no moats but think about personal behaviours. Once someone has shopped around for a policy and committed, when it's up for renewal, do they re-initiate the shop around process or just generally renew, assuming service has been ok?

Out of all of the ones listed I own IFC and it's the only one on that list I would consider buying. It has lots of favourable aspects - quality underwriting, expanding into US in a somewhat fragmented industry, benefits from de-regulation in Canada, car owners are legally required to have insurance (unlike life or disability insurance), quality management. The problem with IFC is that it's pretty expensive right now.
Thanks for adding detail.

Insurance companies are huge and have different lines of business.

Speaking generally, disasters help P&C insurers by allowing premiums to get bumped up.

As well on industry competitiveness level incumbent insurance companies have wide moat because of their huge reserves, network, and data.

One potential thing coming is government regulation on the condo insurance issues we've been getting. Condos in cases have not been able to get insurance and premiums have exploded higher.
The Distracted Investor

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
I don't get why people buy air canada, I know the stock appears to have value but remember they were very low only few years ago and will take a long time to recover from this.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
divx wrote: I don't get why people buy air canada, I know the stock appears to have value but remember they were very low only few years ago and will take a long time to recover from this.
Recover from what? The only thIng Air Canada needs is market normalization. You have a company producing huge free cashflows, sorted out their debts, invested in their aircraft and now buying back shares while very discounted. Yes, demand is lower now due to travel restrictions, but do you honestly believe this is going to last forever? Additionally, the COVID-19 will shakedown weaker competition. Airlines like Hainan, Korean, Lufthansa etc. are debt ridden, weak and could exit markets in the aftermath leaving AC to fully take advantage of the situation. You buy when low and sell when high. I'm not in it for a trade On my buy here.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
jackrabbit000 wrote: Have you ever noticed that when one guy posts he's buying xxx stock, everyone else on here (besides me) buys into the same stock? AC stock was low all right, they restructured and came back at something like $20.
TO be fair, a good amount of it is likely confirmation bias responses. If someone happened to buy AC and noticed someone posted here they did, they'll often respond they have done the same.

Dec 25, 2015
530 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
LOL @ buying airlines. I would buy things that won't get affected when COVID-19 becomes a pandemic.

Think ESSENTIALS. Hydro One is a perfect example. It's revenue stream should be 100% impentetrable to COVID-19. Don't own HYDRO ONE but would be a GREAT BUY.

Another stock is something ONLINE where COVID-19 can't ENTER. An online gambling site like Poker Stars would be great.

Long online gaming companies | short physical ones (think Gamestop).

Long utilities with contracted rates | short physical manufacturers (Autos, machinery, insdustrial, etc.)

Long private medical facilities (think WELL.V) | short concerts like MSG (Madison Square Garden) stocks
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1031 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmmm no comments on BoC 50 basis point rate cut?

REITs are on fire.... CAR.UN as an example (because I have) hitting new all time highs.

Telcos.... T now $1 from secondary offering price $52, hit around $48 when market was dropping.

Bought some REI.UN because they're continuing to shift portfolio to apartments. Price relatively steady.

Yesterday, bought a more speculative REIT NXR.UN

Adding speculative thought. Scared unhappy people might snack on junk more. Maybe RSI supplier of sugar gets a bump longer term (aside from rate cut). Unless production issues and shipping. Then maybe the actual value add confectionary producers, but they are foreign. (Aside from people prepping at Costco).

Naturally, and we've already seen restaurant type stocks get sold. Example suggested to a friend a couple months ago it may make sense to dump RECP and possibly LSPD. (I didn't dump, they always find the "best" time to do share offerings.)
The Distracted Investor

Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
wolfs004 wrote: LOL @ buying airlines. I would buy things that won't get affected when COVID-19 becomes a pandemic.

Think ESSENTIALS. Hydro One is a perfect example. It's revenue stream should be 100% impentetrable to COVID-19. Don't own HYDRO ONE but would be a GREAT BUY.

Another stock is something ONLINE where COVID-19 can't ENTER. An online gambling site like Poker Stars would be great.

Long utilities with contracted rates | short physical manufacturers (Autos, machinery, insdustrial, etc.)

Long private medical facilities (think WELL.V) | short concerts like MSG (Madison Square Garden) stocks
Reactionary investing is the worst way to go. Not surprised this is how you would move, but if you really think the world is ending, I would cash out if I were you.

Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
wolfs004 wrote: LOL @ buying airlines. I would buy things that won't get affected when COVID-19 becomes a pandemic.

The problem is Utilities are expensive. It my largest sector at 28% of my portfolio and I'm very bullish on them long term. I still don't think I'd be buying them at current prices.

I think there could be opportunity in pipelines. Its out of favor but also has nothing to do with the Corona virus. I ended up picking up more ENB on Friday. The pipelines dropped a lot last week and the prices weren't making any sense to me. I think with the volatility they could drop again.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
johnnychi wrote: First it's the Sander = Apocalypse narrative that got pushed everywhere on financial news (many examples, but last one I remember Berman on BNN saying don't discount Sanders). So him out of the way clears things.

I have no doubt that Trump will start attacking Biden with everything he has, can dig up, can make up, or just plain lie about. However, one thing that Trump can't do right now is how Covid-19 will affect the voter sentiment. After all, what is going to do? Say that the deep state within the government created the virus since they couldn't take him down in other ways?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
johnnychi wrote:

REITs are on fire.... CAR.UN as an example (because I have) hitting new all time highs.
Not my H&R REIT holdings :*(