None
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3500 posts
784 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
HappyDaze wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:09 am
I added to XAW yesterday (too early, probably), and EIF. Looking to add to BCE, since I don't have enough to DRIP right now.
No way to time it at low... so you bought a good ETF on sale :)
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4358 posts
634 upvotes
Montreal
I just added more of SPGI, MA and AMZN for long term hold before running out of cash. Maybe I'll liquidate BIP for immediate USD relief.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11239 posts
1599 upvotes
Markham
Missed DOL at the open. Nice bounce there.

Edit: SQ just broke 70
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11239 posts
1599 upvotes
Markham
Just bought some Square (SQ) and some Mercado Libre (MELI)
Feb 29, 2008
208 posts
40 upvotes
Brampton
Bought NFI
hoping for it to climb back now that NAFTA is resolved
Nov 4, 2016
550 posts
322 upvotes
treva84 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 8:50 am
I have some margin I may use today, although if this is just the beginning I should wait it out and see. Perhaps I’ll dip my toe in?
You are going to use margin during a possible start of a bear market? Are you trying to invest, or are you trying to gamble your life savings away.

We don't know if this is going to be bear. But during every bear market, there are people that use margin and ended up bankrupt, losing their house and all their assets.

If you time it perfectly, then of course you would win big. But it is funny that these are often the same people who yell at others for selling, asking "can you time the market"? Apparently those that sells early cannot time the market, but only those that uses margin to gamble everything away can time the market. (No offense to anyone of course. I am just saying we invest differently.)

I suggest this about investing: Taking a few punches is OK. But never take knockout blows.
Last edited by CCHIPSS on Oct 11th, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11239 posts
1599 upvotes
Markham
RolandCouch wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:33 am
Just bought some Square (SQ) and some Mercado Libre (MELI)
SQ now $5+ off day low. Run baby run.

Edit: Stop in place to protect gains.
Mar 4, 2008
318 posts
35 upvotes
BC
I only own TD and BCE. Because of them being a DRIP, I just hold on tight right? (I'm newer to investing...)
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1460 posts
187 upvotes
is BRK.B considered a good buy today?
Oct 14, 2012
596 posts
302 upvotes
Woodstock
Personally I am not selling TD or BCE just because the market is bouncing around. I bought them to hold for years and years and get the 4-6% dividend. We can't tell you how to invest or what decisions to make but any choices you make should be based on your plans, your evaluation of the companies, and not fear alone.

Several rich people I know based their decisions mostly on asset allocation rather than on daily fluctuations in the market. For e.g. one kept 40% fixed income (bonds, GICs, cash) and 60% stocks. This meant if the value of their stocks dropped hugely, they would use their cash to buy more, thus being forced to "buy low." Similarly, though, if the value of their stocks rocketed up, they had to either invest more newly earned money in their cash pile, or sell some stocks to re-balance, thus forcing them to "sell high." It's a strategy to consider if you find your emotions are trying to make your decisions for you.
Oct 14, 2012
596 posts
302 upvotes
Woodstock
It depends why you want to buy BRK.B. If for a long term position, looking at a 1 y graph it sure hasn't dropped much. It's way higher than it was in June.

If for a short term trade, who knows? Things bounce both ways. No idea how low it may go or when it may start to bounce back up.

For me, it would not be worth buying today but my goals are very long term.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

airunner, Chance7652, Defiant_Man11