Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
raptors87 wrote: why index funds and pay their mer?... why not pick stocks?
Why not play poker with the pros when you just barely learned the rules of the game?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote: I would actually say that there is a point to testing so that the infected will know not to do the dumb thing -> visit the elderly or not stay home when they are sick. Too many people try to be a 'hero' and go to work when they are sick causing misery for everyone in the office!
But this is everyone's personal decision. I don't have a virus (I hope :)), but I don't visit my 73 y.o. mom for last 2 weeks.
Really, what is the point in testing if there is no vaccine?!

And other thing....where you gonna be tested in GTA?!
Even for JT's wife it took half day to get results.... I bet we have thousands infected in ON... and 99% our "beloved" PM is infected, you just cannot avoid if you wife is
Last edited by gibor365365 on Mar 13th, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gibor365365 wrote: Really, what is the point in testing if there is no vaccine?!
So you can become the statistic :)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Asillyxt wrote: Hi RFDers, I am looking for some advice/experience:

Over the past couple years, I have used
- Questrade: no access to research report (of course, they don't have a capital market research team).
- BMO Investorline: no access to BMO Capital Market research report.
- TD DI: Yes, have access to TD Securities Equity Research report

I found the quality of those research reports are far better than Morningstar reports (or ThomasReuters reports) which are just a collection of data.

So, I am looking for some advice/experience with other online brokers, do below brokers provide research reports for individual stocks (like ENB) from their capital market research team?
- RBC Direct Investing
- CIBC Investor Edge
- Scotia iTrade

Thanks everyone!
does it matter this month?

Just hit the buy button eventually and you'll be fine lol
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Yindare wrote: Added to.. physical gold. Thank you for mass liquidation of positive positions to raise cashflows. Moving some of my gains this year to hard tangible assets.
I am pretty sure the debasement of currency is happening within the medium time frame as the systematic risks have begun to unfold with drastic price movements.
Man people still buy gold? TOronto RE is the new gold when it comes to hard physicial assets ... at least 30 years from now that thing is gonna be spitting out great rent at probably paid off mortgage, what the hell is gold going to be spitting off in income?

Come on people...
Last edited by Sanyo on Mar 13th, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
freilona wrote: So you can become the statistic :)
Exactly! Actually the best place to get infected it's to go to place where people getting tested :) (not sure if we have such tests in GTA at all)
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Sep 29, 2007
762 posts
247 upvotes
Holy crap massive reversal on futures....down 700 to up 700.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gibor365365 wrote: Exactly! Actually the best place to get infected it's to go to place where people getting tested :) (not sure if we have such tests in GTA at all)
Dunno - received a long email from our family physician on Monday: “People with fever, cough and difficult breathing should seek medical attention (but NOT at my office if COVID-19 is suspected).
Contact Telehealth, my office or Public Health for further direction. DO NOT come to my office before contacting the office and receiving direction as to how to proceed. Our office is not designed with proper isolation protocols and we cannot test for the virus in our office. It is likely that designated testing centers will be established to facilitate testing of patients. If you require urgent medical care related to possible COVID-19 infection, that requires a visit to the emergency department, call them first prior to arrival.“

But anyways.. what are we buying? :)
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
retireat50 wrote: Holy crap massive reversal on futures....down 700 to up 700.
Holy shit!!! What happened?! Somebody found a vaccine ?!
Good thing I sold VXX at EOD :)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4527 posts
3688 upvotes
Ottawa
retireat50 wrote: Holy crap massive reversal on futures....down 700 to up 700.
Futures almost meaningless in these overnight periods with so much volatility. Futures are a few people hedging and gambling. Tomorrow we will see serious money on buy and sell side. I suspect tomorrow will be another blood bath. I remember in 2008 when Cramer said if you need any money for the next few years get out of the market now. We are at that point. Might be 5 years before we are back to these levels.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
VTI - Vanguard US ETF.
Banned
Oct 17, 2015
306 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sadly the 30% discount is still elusive despite all the doomsday scenarios being forecasted by some posters here.
talk is cheap I guess
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
I'm happy to be buying banks and pipelines at these prices, but can't see why anyone would buy XSP/S&P...it is only back to Dec 2018 levels, still hugely up over past few years.

Only real concern at this point is that we don't even have any real economic news yet. Of course, stock markets are leading indicators, and already priced in a depression, but it's hard to imagine them going up when the actual bad news starts rolling in. Layoffs, closings, failures will still affect stocks negatively. Unless they do some rebound beforehand, which is possible.

I'm a dividend investor, as that allows me to sleep well through such panics as this. Total market approach would likely mean higher long term returns, but then I wouldn't be likely to go close to 100% in equities during times of crisis. Currently, I have enough dividend income to cover my basic living expenses, especially after the buys in the past few weeks. I don't expect dividend cuts in many of my holdings (banks, telcos, pipelines, utilities, some REITs, global equity ETFs), and don't expect to actually start living on dividends for another 11 years, so I'm in a pretty great spot. Plus, DB pension also starts in 11 years, so the divies are just for luxury living. Hope to pass on the actual stocks to the kids when I die.
Last edited by Bullseye on Mar 13th, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
148 upvotes
I want to pick up US stocks like home depot, lowes, sales force, service now, comcast, paypal etc. I can't find a link that tells me how much some stocks have dropped so far.
So, can someone please tell us what are some really attractive stock prices (below ATH by more than 30%) on blue chips? is there any website that displays such data?
Feb 5, 2017
910 posts
913 upvotes
I think you meant dec 2018 level
In any case, XSP at -24% is still a discount and since you do not know the bottom, it feels ok to me to buy some
The best approach I think should be to seek the one providing with the highest total return.
I'm taxed at the highest marginal rate and for me, capital gains are the most favorably taxed ones
Canadian dividends are second.
I could have invest all my money in dividend blue chips and be done with it : already more than enough to live off dividends but I prefer a 50-50 approach.

Bullseye wrote: I'm happy to be buying banks and pipelines at these prices, but can't see why anyone would buy XSP/S&P...it is only back to Dec 2019 levels, still hugely up over past few years.

Only real concern at this point is that we don't even have any real economic news yet. Of course, stock markets are leading indicators, and already priced in a depression, but it's hard to imagine them going up when the actual bad news starts rolling in. Layoffs, closings, failures will still affect stocks negatively. Unless they do some rebound beforehand, which is possible.

I'm a dividend investor, as that allows me to sleep well through such panics as this. Total market approach would likely mean higher long term returns, but then I wouldn't be likely to go close to 100% in equities during times of crisis. Currently, I have enough dividend income to cover my basic living expenses, especially after the buys in the past few weeks. I don't expect dividend cuts in many of my holdings (banks, telcos, pipelines, utilities, some REITs, global equity ETFs), and don't expect to actually start living on dividends for another 11 years, so I'm in a pretty great spot. Plus, DB pension also starts in 11 years, so the divies are just for luxury living. Hope to pass on the actual stocks to the kids when I die.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14473 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Wow Australia up 12% overnight.

Whether that level holds or not....it demonstrates how violent the rally will be once fear starts to subside.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
alexcalvado wrote: I think you meant dec 2018 level
Yes, corrected.
Feb 5, 2017
910 posts
913 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Wow Australia up 12% overnight.

Whether that level holds or not....it demonstrates how violent the rally will be once fear starts to subside.
To trust or not to trust, that is the question
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14473 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
alexcalvado wrote: To trust or not to trust, that is the question
Do whatever you want. I don’t give a sh!t if things go lower from here. I’m not one of these “deep derp I’m gonna know the bottom becuz I so smart” types. The world is littered with market going to zero and I’m gonna know the bottom types.

If you don’t know why you are buying stocks in the selloff, you will likely be the first to panic when you see a -10% on an initial tranche based on the violent swings in the market right now,
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
Bullseye wrote: Of course, stock markets are leading indicators, and already priced in a depression, but it's hard to imagine them going up when the actual bad news starts rolling in. Layoffs, closings, failures will still affect stocks negatively
+1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)