• Jan 21st, 2019 5:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9582 posts
3540 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If the market trend continues upwards, I suspect that strong dividend payers will start seeing downward pressure again as the market swings back to the growth stocks especially if the BOC does another hike or two.
May 3, 2015
298 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone planning on buying Canadian banks? Which look most appealing?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2985 posts
1272 upvotes
Vancouver
MikeZ13 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:42 pm
I hold RY, BNS, TD, but there was an article last year that backtested showing that buying the worst-performing bank from the last year yielded the best gains.
Jan 13, 2008
107 posts
50 upvotes
I sold MAXAR for $22 last Oct 31 after their brutal earnings report and booked a pretty big capital loss. Looking back it looks like it was a solid decision as MAXAR is down another 50% since then.
I would recommend extreme caution when considering averaging down. At the very least, expect the dividend to be eliminated. At worst this company is headed to zero.

They have major debt issues and it's not clear their acquisitions will pan out.
Jan 28, 2007
599 posts
353 upvotes
Earth for now
MikeZ13 wrote:
I hold varying positions in all of the big 5 ...

Have been looking to buy LB on the recent dip ... but got too greedy and missed on a preset order
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1766 posts
920 upvotes
I'm going to post my reply to your question posted here because I believe this thread will have a longer lifespan than the other one.
treva84 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:20 pm
One thing that I've noticed as of late is that as the market drops beta goes up (i.e. some of my previous low beta names have increasing betas or betas now greater than 1). Have you found any free resources that plot beta changes over time?
I have the "uValue Mobile" app available on iTunes in my library.

One of the developers is a "Professor of Finance at the Stern School of Business at New York University."

One of the tools linked through his website is an beta calculator with historical data and an interactive chart. https://financetools.idc.ac.il/app/betas-calc-en
This takes time to calculate, so have some patience. I've attached the chart of BCE's beta over time against the S&P500 index.

His twitter account is,
His website has links to his blog and some great resources, http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/
Images
  • BCE beta.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9582 posts
3540 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
notenoughsleep wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:01 pm
I hold RY, BNS, TD, but there was an article last year that backtested showing that buying the worst-performing bank from the last year yielded the best gains.
Yep. There's a couple of ETFs that will do that rotation for you. However, that rotation has their own 'spin' on the 'buy the worse performing bank' system so the returns may not be exactly the same.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6228 posts
4758 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Bullseye wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:44 pm
My end of year and early Jan dividends have been piling in, looking to start a position in TD with them soon. I'd like to see some more blood in the streets first, though.
If looking at TD, it’s ex dividend tomorrow. So if you buy today you will get the 67c/share dividend. Just FYI.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
cdgnfr wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:52 pm
I sold MAXAR for $22 last Oct 31 after their brutal earnings report and booked a pretty big capital loss. Looking back it looks like it was a solid decision as MAXAR is down another 50% since then.
I would recommend extreme caution when considering averaging down. At the very least, expect the dividend to be eliminated. At worst this company is headed to zero.

They have major debt issues and it's not clear their acquisitions will pan out.
down another 31%? yikes.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
sheepe wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 9:46 am
Anyone buying in lol?
I lost 15% in a few days. Good thing it was just $7-8k capital and I made most of the loss up with TSXV stocks (EVM and RHT). Could have made money if I waited one or two days before selling but I'm not complaining right now.

Maybe if it goes down a bit bit more, I'll buy some shares.
Dec 8, 2013
73 posts
23 upvotes
I just did, figure the shorts will cover here if they haven't already. Losing a satellite is big news, but likely not as big a hit on bottom line. I usually don't trade, so pure gamble on my part.

Edit: out with 9% profit..first (and last?) day trade ever.
Last edited by bluebumbler on Jan 9th, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 10, 2018
812 posts
520 upvotes
The stock market just lost its fizz. Hasn't gone negative, although would not be surprised if the US market goes red by EOD.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1178 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
bluebumbler wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:34 am
I just did, figure the shorts will cover here if they haven't already. Losing a satellite is big news, but likely not as big a hit on bottom line. I usually don't trade, so pure gamble on my part.
Just put a order at 7$ need to cost average.

I think once they claim the insurance they will be better (slightly).

Edit: executed at $7
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2583 posts
1745 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
MikeZ13 wrote:
BNS to me is the most attractive currently. You have a large scale, well diversified bank with holdings abroad in emerging markets as well as a solid position in Canada through their namesake brand or Tangerine. While not the lowest PE ratio, Scotiabank has traditionally been higher. There is risk in that emerging markets stagnate, but Scotia is very successful in dealing in these markets and buying operations from established players like Citi, Santander, BBVA and Standard Charter and making them work.

LB is a purely value play. The market price is just way too low for their position. Domt expect huge growth, but a recovery in price is warranted. Profitability and deliquency hasn't been an issue with the mortgage underwriting concerns.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

nintendocollector, romeocanada