• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 12:01 am
Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2018
106 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
WFC, but added Cover Call with March expiry close to purchase price. Should be able to grab the next upcoming dividend and if it doesn't go down; collect a decent premium.

I figure it's just waiting for a catalyst to take it a bit higher. Their lawsuits are probably nearing / at resolution.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9538 posts
3506 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
johnnychi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:31 pm
They are studying these things. Place chargers at the gas stations. How long does it take to charge an EV? A few minutes for gas, but EV could be much longer. Maybe even an hour to charge whilst one is on the road... where are they going to stop? At your already strategically placed gas/electric charging station munching on high margin snacks and looking for entertainment like "free" data gathering/ad filled wifi while you wait for full charge.

Just googled this ATD has been researching this and looking at Norway. Here's a CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.4217002

Note: I do not own ATD.B. Only exposure to "gas stations" is via HSE.
I can see companies like ATD.B introducing additional services that will take up the time instead of just selling marked-up drinks and snacks - ie things like 'nap-pods' where drivers can rent out one of those pods for a quick nap while the car charges.
Jan 28, 2007
576 posts
338 upvotes
Earth for now
johnnychi wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:31 pm
They are studying these things. Place chargers at the gas stations. How long does it take to charge an EV? A few minutes for gas, but EV could be much longer. Maybe even an hour to charge whilst one is on the road... where are they going to stop? At your already strategically placed gas/electric charging station munching on high margin snacks and looking for entertainment like "free" data gathering/ad filled wifi while you wait for full charge.

Just googled this ATD has been researching this and looking at Norway. Here's a CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.4217002

Note: I do not own ATD.B. Only exposure to "gas stations" is via HSE.
Oh definitely for long distance drives especially tourist or vacationers ... however my company owns an EV and it gets charged at the house, business, or public parking lot when on a business meeting ... I dont see business or locals sitting around at a gas stations for an hour not being able to continue on with their daily business.
They are working on rapid or quick charge technology, but at the same time car makers are developing longer and longer drive times on the batteries they use, so I still see this as a business model risk for ATD.
I've even heard of an inductive charge technology where the EV doesnt even have to leave the road, but merely passes over a series of chargers embedded in the road and the car owner pays a small fee similar as if you had filled up with gas ...

You can place EV chargers anywhere electricity is available, the same wasnt true for gas stations due to storage and hazards ... I see the EV move as a huge market disruptor in the next 10 years or less.
Jan 28, 2007
576 posts
338 upvotes
Earth for now
kr0zet wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 5:28 pm
Dude, you sound defensive. Don't be. You were sharing knowledge and if a post is all it took to scare off an investor thats no skin off your nose. I love FTN, have played it once before for nice, big gains and got back in under $4 this month. While I agree that the underlying product is rocky, there is no way a bank is going under in this political climate north or south of the boarder. This is one I don't buy for the dividend, I buy for the bounce.
Couldn't agree more ... I love over-reactions in the markets ... know what your buying and only risk money you can afford to lose ... buy it for the bounce and collect the dividends in the meantime.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3898 posts
1028 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Chance7652 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:10 pm
I could see CVS and CAH doubling in the next 3 years. Both are trading for single digit PEs much lower than their normal valuation which is around 15. CVS needs to have the Athena merger close (currently delayed due to the shut down) and then they need to lower their debt. CAH needs to lower their debt and improve their supply chain for medical devices.

For full disclosure I've owned both for around two years and I'm down quite a bit.
Gonna research buying calls on one or both, thanks.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47356 posts
13103 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:43 am
Oh definitely for long distance drives especially tourist or vacationers ... however my company owns an EV and it gets charged at the house, business, or public parking lot when on a business meeting ... I dont see business or locals sitting around at a gas stations for an hour not being able to continue on with their daily business.
They are working on rapid or quick charge technology, but at the same time car makers are developing longer and longer drive times on the batteries they use, so I still see this as a business model risk for ATD.
I've even heard of an inductive charge technology where the EV doesnt even have to leave the road, but merely passes over a series of chargers embedded in the road and the car owner pays a small fee similar as if you had filled up with gas ...

You can place EV chargers anywhere electricity is available, the same wasnt true for gas stations due to storage and hazards ... I see the EV move as a huge market disruptor in the next 10 years or less.
Even Shell, in Europe, has been buying or installing charging stations at its gasoline stations but it will definitely have to be fast charging to make any sense for customers to use it.

Fast charging is also known to shorten the performance/capacity of the battery (or maybe it has changed since last year) so I will only do fast charge on my future BEV if it's really urgent. Might just take the ICEV for longer trips than shorten the life expectancy of the battery by fast charging every day over a span of weeks to save a few hundred dollars on gasoline cost.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1860 posts
149 upvotes
Sidney
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:43 am

Exactly. Yes, of course it takes longer to charge an EV than it does to fill a gas tank. But I also can't fill a gas tank over night, AT MY HOUSE, while I sleep.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2860 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
any news on why chorus halted
Realtor

Homelife Bayview
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2860 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
nice. 17 year contract. solid dividend.
Realtor

Homelife Bayview
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9538 posts
3506 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Two important statements as far as CHR shareholders are concerned:
Air Canada will consolidate more of its overall regional capacity into Jazz's footprint, thereby further securing Jazz's place in Air Canada's regional network.

It looks like AC has stopped trying to squeeze CHR by using other 3rd party suppliers like Skywest.
Chorus expects to continue to generate cash flow to support the current dividend.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47356 posts
13103 upvotes
favelle75 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:41 pm
Exactly. Yes, of course it takes longer to charge an EV than it does to fill a gas tank. But I also can't fill a gas tank over night, AT MY HOUSE, while I sleep.
If electricity was costlier than gasoline per km driven, would you still buy a BEV?

I think it's all about economics for now and previously the EVIP and other government incentives.

There's no need to fill the tank with gas at night because it takes a few minutes to do it during the day.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1639 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto, ON
freilona wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:37 pm
Really? Trying to sell [ATD.b] for $72 (for a 20% profit in 2 years! Bought just under $60 back then..)
Thank you to those who discussed the stock, decided to go for a 30% potential profit - sold January 2020 $72 covered calls for $6.30 instead of selling the stock.. only have 100 shares, so will chalk it up to options learning experience if it drops again :)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2140 posts
495 upvotes
Ontario
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:49 pm
If electricity was costlier than gasoline per km driven, would you still buy a BEV?

I think it's all about economics for now and previously the EVIP and other government incentives.

There's no need to fill the tank with gas at night because it takes a few minutes to do it during the day.
When I was deciding which car to buy last year I calculated that with Tesla's Supercharger price increases, it would be more expensive to charge a Model 3 than to gas up the Prius Prime that I eventually bought.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery 4% CTC 5 c/L CTC/Husky free roadside 1% on bill pay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

esoxhntr, mkl38s, Jojo_Madman