• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 9:04 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
96 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
You're lucky that you pay 50% commission, otherwise you would need to buy a lot to even consider trading such slim margins.
Oct 14, 2010
107 posts
6 upvotes
just a newbie question:
someone mentioned he/she was doing day trading. When I placed my order,I just saw a bunch of pending quantities(not yet settled). TDDI says it takes 1-3 days to settle.
Can I sell the pending quantities? if no how do you guys do day trading?
thx
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2399 posts
1432 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
hyzyx wrote:
Apr 14th, 2015 8:49 pm
just a newbie question:
someone mentioned he/she was doing day trading. When I placed my order,I just saw a bunch of pending quantities(not yet settled). TDDI says it takes 1-3 days to settle.
Can I sell the pending quantities? if no how do you guys do day trading?
thx
Whether the trade settles or not, you should still be able to sell immediately after purchasing.
Oct 31, 2014
185 posts
56 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Yeah some weird 3 day verification, but you can buy and sell immediately

Imagine it like this.... It's an exchange...

Person B decides to sell coke for $10
Person A buys coke for $10
that coke is on the next 3 day delivery truck

Person A decides he doesnt like coke and sells coke for $10.50 to person C
the truck makes a left turn, resets the 3 days and drives to person C
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2399 posts
1432 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
SheaButters wrote:
Apr 14th, 2015 9:18 pm
Yeah some weird 3 day verification, but you can buy and sell immediately

Imagine it like this.... It's an exchange...

Person B decides to sell coke for $10
Person A buys coke for $10
that coke is on the next 3 day delivery truck

Person A decides he doesnt like coke and sells coke for $10.50 to person C
the truck makes a left turn, resets the 3 days and drives to person C
From a technical standpoint, it's weird. But in reality, it is just the brokerage allowing you to trade the stock before it settles because 1)the stock will probably have no problems at all settling 2)the amount of trading that an individual does is typically so minuscule that even if there is a problem, it is likely very small or can be easily recouped 3)the trade is being controlled by the brokerage itself that they know the trade is good. So why not let their customer sell it before knowing it will be fine instead of dealing with phone calls about not letting them trade what they bought?

I think if the amount of shares being traded was significant (such as you bought thousands of lots, millions of shares), then the brokerage might not allow it to go through until properly settling.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16243 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
syedsalmanshah wrote:
Apr 14th, 2015 7:30 pm
You're lucky that you pay 50% commission, otherwise you would need to buy a lot to even consider trading such slim margins.
I already trade with quite a bit which is why slim margins work for me. Standard commission is $7 for those with 150+ trades, so just saving $4 net per 2 trades.
AMEX OFFERS ARE BACK!
AMEX Biz Plat: 75k Signup bonus ($750) + $125 Cashback
AMEX Personal Plat: 75k Signup Bonus ($750) + $125 Cashback

(both cards have $499 annual fee)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2574 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
deal_with_singh wrote:
Apr 13th, 2015 8:09 pm
Well, here's my day trades over the last week or two.

Why do some of your trades trigger a $4.99 commission and others $7 commission? Did you have to ask about the $4.99 or was it automatic? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16243 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
pipolchap wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 10:50 am
Why do some of your trades trigger a $4.99 commission and others $7 commission? Did you have to ask about the $4.99 or was it automatic? Thanks.
The $4.99 fell off for some reason so those couple trades got $7, but was changed back to $4.99
AMEX OFFERS ARE BACK!
AMEX Biz Plat: 75k Signup bonus ($750) + $125 Cashback
AMEX Personal Plat: 75k Signup Bonus ($750) + $125 Cashback

(both cards have $499 annual fee)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1338 posts
519 upvotes
Mississauga
After doing some yield-to-worst calculations I decided to swap a perpetual preferred ELF.PR.F, bought years ago at discount, for a low spread rate reset TRP.PR.B. Yield-to-worst for both around 5% but given the fact that interest rates years from now will likely be higher than lower, the rate reset wins by my calculations.
Oct 19, 2014
792 posts
96 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I made a lot of trades today, sold and profited on: CMLS, NHC, AQN. Bought VRX, DOL for my TFSA & some more VRX & STWD for my play/swing trade account.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40905 posts
2218 upvotes
Richmond Hill
syedsalmanshah wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 3:03 pm
I made a lot of trades today, sold and profited on: CMLS, NHC, AQN. Bought VRX, DOL for my TFSA & some more VRX & STWD for my play/swing trade account.
Good buys, I have both VRX and DOL in my TFSA and both are strong growers. Too bad I'm totally invested in my TFSA, can't really add to them. :(
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Nov 5, 2005
253 posts
41 upvotes
Any reasons why DOL is been going down lately? Cant find any news on it and % seems pretty significant
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40905 posts
2218 upvotes
Richmond Hill
New Member wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 8:39 pm
Any reasons why DOL is been going down lately? Cant find any news on it and % seems pretty significant
I don't see any news either, but my speculation is that a lot of money has went into stocks like DOL that perform well in a bad economy, and with the raising oil prices in the past week, signifies the economy may be improving, so money is leaving these safer bets and into oil. That, and the fact that it's went up a lot lately, also at least partially due to the oil.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 4 guests)

goeland4ever, Jon Lai, ciuvak