Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1450 posts
1346 upvotes
Oakville
Glad I exercised my February expiration SQ 40 calls. Still holding Mar/Jun/Jul 40/42/45 calls.

Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
Just to reiterate a previous discussion on inverted yield curves and recessions.

S.F Fed's Economic Letter, https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research ... eld-curve/

Layman's version, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -ignore-it

ht: acrossthecurve
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Feb 26, 2017
285 posts
135 upvotes
LOOSEWHEEL wrote: Glad I exercised my February expiration SQ 40 calls. Still holding Mar/Jun/Jul 40/42/45 calls.
You don't think it would go to like 60 or higher with all that talk on bitcoin-able?
Once SQ become bitcoinable, it should be able to handle bitcash/ether/ripple/etc. without much more effort.
Dorsey and his guys have been working on this for a while and they could be the first harvesting.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1450 posts
1346 upvotes
Oakville
Figman2 wrote: You don't think it would go to like 60 or higher with all that talk on bitcoin-able?
Once SQ become bitcoinable, it should be able to handle bitcash/ether/ripple/etc. without much more effort.
Dorsey and his guys have been working on this for a while and they could be the first harvesting.
I do think it will go higher....hence why I have a position in it. Not sure why it's somewhat tied to the 'value' of bitcoin et.al. They simply have a method of processing the currency. It's not like the company suffers if the US$ moves one way or another. The value of whatever currency it processes is really irrelevant IMO. Having the ability to process additional currencies just makes it more valuable and therefore more attractive. My $0.02.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1880 posts
2185 upvotes
Bought Just Energy Group (JE). Want that juicy 8% dividend.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3326 posts
1885 upvotes
romeocanada wrote: Sold TD and bought HCG
Why not EQB? Just curious.
Feb 21, 2010
886 posts
263 upvotes
Scarborough
HCG @ 0.7 BV, EQB @ 0.9 BV
Dpack22 wrote: Why not EQB? Just curious.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Thank god I have BZUN, +29% today after ER, holy smokes.
Too bad I sold most
I didn't think it was THAT impressive, plus BABA and JD both dropped after ER

NFLX another ATH, +3%, what's new
other FAANG are meh
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
These stocks hit all time lows (I think). Any decent picks? :)
https://www.barchart.com/ca/stocks/high ... me=alltime

CJR-B.TO Corus Entertainment Inc Cl.B Nv

SCB.TO Street Capital Group Inc

Definitely not an all time los at $24.49:
SCL.TO Shawcor Ltd
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
From CNBC:

Gary Cohn plans to resign as Trump's top economic advisor: New York Times

Was so close to getting bear etf today but went out for coffee, DOH!!

More details:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/06/gary-co ... times.html

White House chief economic advisor Gary Cohn is out of President Donald Trump's administration.

The former Goldman Sachs president and free trade advocate departs after the president announced he would impose stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. Cohn clashed with Trump's protectionist advisors on the issue. At a meeting with steel and aluminum executives Thursday where Trump announced the move, Cohn argued against it, warning about price increases for steel and aluminum products, according to a person in the room.

Market watchers saw Cohn's potential departure as a bad omen for the White House's economic policy. He helped to shepherd massive tax cuts, the Trump administration's only major legislative achievement, which the president signed into law in December.

Cohn also faced pressure to step down following Trump's defiant response to violence at a white nationalist rally in August. In an FT interview published that month, Cohn said he faced pressure both to leave Trump's White House and to stay in it. He even drafted a resignation letter, according to The New York Times.

The economic advisor told the FT that the White House "must do better" following Trump's widely criticized response to violence at the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The interview may not have helped his case with the president.

The president's chaotic Trump Tower press conference in which Trump appeared to equate torch-bearing white nationalists with the protesters who demonstrated against them also fueled the possibility of Cohn, who is Jewish, resigning. "Not all" the people participating in the rally were bad, the president told reporters three days after a counterprotester was killed in a car ramming, allegedly by a suspected white supremacist.

"Citizens standing up for equality and freedom can never be equated with white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and the K.K.K.," Cohn told the FT. "I believe this administration can and must do better in consistently and unequivocally condemning these groups and do everything we can to heal the deep divisions that exist in our communities."

Cohn was Goldman's no. 2 executive when Trump named him as his top economic advisor. Trump offered the former Goldman Sachs president the key economic post on Dec. 9, despite bashing the firm during the 2016 campaign. Cohn also had been seen as a possible chairman of the Federal Reserve.

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2009
5887 posts
4817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
georvu wrote: From CNBC:

Gary Cohn plans to resign as Trump's top economic advisor: New York Times

Was so close to getting bear etf today but went out for coffee, DOH!!

More details:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/06/gary-co ... times.html

White House chief economic advisor Gary Cohn is out of President Donald Trump's administration.

The former Goldman Sachs president and free trade advocate departs after the president announced he would impose stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. Cohn clashed with Trump's protectionist advisors on the issue. At a meeting with steel and aluminum executives Thursday where Trump announced the move, Cohn argued against it, warning about price increases for steel and aluminum products, according to a person in the room.

Market watchers saw Cohn's potential departure as a bad omen for the White House's economic policy. He helped to shepherd massive tax cuts, the Trump administration's only major legislative achievement, which the president signed into law in December.

Cohn also faced pressure to step down following Trump's defiant response to violence at a white nationalist rally in August. In an FT interview published that month, Cohn said he faced pressure both to leave Trump's White House and to stay in it. He even drafted a resignation letter, according to The New York Times.

The economic advisor told the FT that the White House "must do better" following Trump's widely criticized response to violence at the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

The interview may not have helped his case with the president.

The president's chaotic Trump Tower press conference in which Trump appeared to equate torch-bearing white nationalists with the protesters who demonstrated against them also fueled the possibility of Cohn, who is Jewish, resigning. "Not all" the people participating in the rally were bad, the president told reporters three days after a counterprotester was killed in a car ramming, allegedly by a suspected white supremacist.

"Citizens standing up for equality and freedom can never be equated with white supremacists, neo-Nazis, and the K.K.K.," Cohn told the FT. "I believe this administration can and must do better in consistently and unequivocally condemning these groups and do everything we can to heal the deep divisions that exist in our communities."

Cohn was Goldman's no. 2 executive when Trump named him as his top economic advisor. Trump offered the former Goldman Sachs president the key economic post on Dec. 9, despite bashing the firm during the 2016 campaign. Cohn also had been seen as a possible chairman of the Federal Reserve.

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.
Markets down over 1% in after hours trading.
Stock futures point to sharply lower opening after Wall Street-friendly Cohn resigns
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5885 posts
7465 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
CCHIPSS wrote: More reason to trust toilet papers over bank stocks. But we will see tomorrow. Maybe everything will be red again.
I know you are down on the banks and as you've mentioned you don't like the volatility of share prices that comes with Trump, but can you explain how what Trump says impacts the business model of large, well entrenched banks?
Buy right, hold tight. Keep calm and go long.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CCHIPSS wrote: More reason to trust toilet papers over bank stocks. But we will see tomorrow. Maybe everything will be red again.
Tomorrow is going to be a disaster. At least I'll be on my toes!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
canoek wrote: Tomorrow is going to be a disaster. At least I'll be on my toes!
Markets are red but not exactly tanking.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
Bought some ENB today
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@MrMom, thanks! Looks like I missed all the fun again.. :)
Oct 27, 2016
17 posts
7 upvotes
Thoughts on Spin Master (TOY)? They just announced their acquisition of Gund. Looks poised for growth.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bought me some KWEB and YANDEX