Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
esoxhntr wrote: Thoughts on RY at this level? Over, under or fair?
Imho, all big 6 are fairly valued. The most undervalued (by a little) is CM, then BNS...

From large cap TSX stocks maybe only MG is undervalued, esp if NAFTA goes through
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm also looking to add to RY if it goes below 95
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Bought UL inside my TFSA with USD. I will get the full dividend and I am protected from CRA.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Apr 8, 2017
368 posts
238 upvotes
Thinking of adding to AQN on Monday after the freefall in price over the past 3 months
Nov 16, 2006
87 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
cocotheparrot wrote: Bought UL inside my TFSA with USD. I will get the full dividend and I am protected from CRA.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Why would you get the full dividend? Isn't UL a NYSE listed stock? US doesn't recognize TFSA in tax treaty like RRSP so there is withholding on dividend.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6697 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
clapper wrote: Why would you get the full dividend? Isn't UL a NYSE listed stock? US doesn't recognize TFSA in tax treaty like RRSP so there is withholding on dividend.
UK company so believe no withholding taxes.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
georvu wrote: UK company so believe no withholding taxes.
You'll lose a bit because of whatever admin fee on the ADR, but other than that you're right.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i ... le9840189/
Ms. Kassar said both foreign stocks and ADRs listed on the NYSE are not covered by U.S. tax law. "From a U.S. perspective, an ADR is traded on a U.S. stock exchange, but it's not considered a U.S. stock for tax purposes."
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
3138 posts
2300 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote: Imho, all big 6 are fairly valued. The most undervalued (by a little) is CM, then BNS...
This seems like a reasonable take. The banks are not necessarily cheap right now, compared to their historical averages. Their fundamentals are low compared to the broader market but that is the norm for them. That in itself is kind of a phenomenal thing to me...somehow these high quality companies with such good results, ROEs, dividend growth, yields, etc. only trade at 10-12x trailing P/E when the TSX average is somewhere around 20.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
Capt. wrote: This seems like a reasonable take. The banks are not necessarily cheap right now, compared to their historical averages. Their fundamentals are low compared to the broader market but that is the norm for them. That in itself is kind of a phenomenal thing to me...somehow these high quality companies with such good results, ROEs, dividend growth, yields, etc. only trade at 10-12x trailing P/E when the TSX average is somewhere around 20.
CM forward P/E is currently at 8% discount comaring to it's 5 years average
BNS forward P/E is currently at 5% discount comaring to it's 5 years average
P/S for both practically at same level as 5 y average.

If I wouldn't have rather big position in CM, I'd add it, my BNS position is a bit less than other big banks, so trying to add a bit at good price
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10991 posts
13540 upvotes
ontariobrent wrote: Oh I'll be dumping CVE soon. I want out so bad and will never buy oil again!
Initiated a long in CVE with eyes wide open at $12.68. Will look to scale in.

Apr 12/18 - now-time-invest-oil-stocks-1616895/450/#p29198476
Aug 15/17 - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/now-tim ... #p28113906
Apr 19/17 - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/now-tim ... #p27697859
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
gibor365365 wrote: For sure ..... this is why I inserted :) , instead of Disappointed But Relieved Face

Lately allour banks are going down and down....
my $76.20 order got triggered :)
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
Added small position to JNJ pre-earnings
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
daverobev wrote: You'll lose a bit because of whatever admin fee on the ADR, but other than that you're right.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-i ... le9840189/
From my experience and knowledge UK and Australian companies are exempt. European companies have a twenty five percent with holding tax on their dividends. For example, Shell RDS.B is UK . No with holding tax. RDS.A is European so with holding tax applies.

On a different note make sure you fill out W-8BEN every three years. RBC Direct Investing is good at sending reminders. TD Direct Investing SUCKS big time. The reps are clueless.
Feb 13, 2008
977 posts
765 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I am looking at Svenska Handelsbaken AB. It is a Swedish bank. $100.45.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
I know there's been a few of us who bought HELIOS AND MATHESON ANALYTICS - HMNY:US. I'm still holding this and the recent torrent of good news has been quite remarkable imho. I'm in this until either CH.11 or until this stock becomes gangbusters but this ones seems to have legs to become an actual business.
Feb 21, 2010
886 posts
263 upvotes
Scarborough
I have a strong feeling that Netflix will acquire them one day. With all the original content Netflix is producing, combined with HMNY, they can give shivers to all the content production houses

Jeenyus1 wrote: I know there's been a few of us who bought HELIOS AND MATHESON ANALYTICS - HMNY:US. I'm still holding this and the recent torrent of good news has been quite remarkable imho. I'm in this until either CH.11 or until this stock becomes gangbusters but this ones seems to have legs to become an actual business.
Feb 21, 2010
886 posts
263 upvotes
Scarborough
bought TSE:TOY
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
3138 posts
2300 upvotes
romeocanada wrote: bought TSE:TOY
Any in-depth thoughts on this one? It's a name I've looked at but have not bought. I see they're down 13% over the past 3 months so it has pulled back a bit. But still up 20% in the past year and up nicely over 3 years, when it went public.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
romeocanada wrote: I have a strong feeling that Netflix will acquire them one day. With all the original content Netflix is producing, combined with HMNY, they can give shivers to all the content production houses
It could be a wonderful asset for any ailing media company that's sick of tired of being overshadowed by Netflix as well imo. Still years away likely but I've got time :).
Feb 21, 2010
886 posts
263 upvotes
Scarborough
My two LOs at home love paw patrol. Jokes apart, company has done some serious acquisitions in last few years, their products are well thought off, they have tremendous international growth opportunity lying ahead, they have omni channel approach, looking at TV production series etc, competitors cannot put their act together

Capt. wrote: Any in-depth thoughts on this one? It's a name I've looked at but have not bought. I see they're down 13% over the past 3 months so it has pulled back a bit. But still up 20% in the past year and up nicely over 3 years, when it went public.