None
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4928 posts
273 upvotes
Markham
catoun wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:15 pm
Why CUF.UN? The company is financially in a tough position.
The AFFO payout ratio has been above 100%. The distribution has been funded through leverage and the DRIP, and the management already raised more equity.
I'd say the distribution has been funded via the DRIP; since they have reduced debt as properties were sold.

If things go as management's plan, AFFO will improve and fund the distribution (without the DRIP) later this yr
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9826 posts
829 upvotes
Blazin_Sunfire wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:02 pm
You think the commons will head upwards? I'm debating on whether or not to get back in.
Not an expert but I've got a position. Business isn't changing for 3 years. Lots of time to earn at the rate they have been and find new partners.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1669 posts
26 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
RolandCouch wrote:
May 16th, 2017 3:44 pm
Not an expert but I've got a position. Business isn't changing for 3 years. Lots of time to earn at the rate they have been and find new partners.
In for 500 shares at $3.17. come on and rise like an air Canada jet Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Jan 15, 2015
401 posts
149 upvotes
STP123 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:53 am
I would consider the AIM preferred shares instead (A, B or C series). There is more potential with the common, but if AIM does not find another airline partner, there is a very good chance the dividend will get cut.
Bought at close $3.15

I read your post on the dedicated AIM thread. Will probably bid on preferred next as long-term hold, with intent to sell common shares on/after ex-div date. I was gonna load up on preferreds at the bottom last Wed, but after stopping to research the A/B/C series, they had recovered half their initial dropDisappointed But Relieved Face.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1092 posts
285 upvotes
SAM3674 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 4:32 pm
Bought at close $3.15

I read your post on the dedicated AIM thread. Will probably bid on preferred next as long-term hold, with intent to sell common shares on/after ex-div date. I was gonna load up on preferreds at the bottom last Wed, but after stopping to research the A/B/C series, they had recovered half their initial dropDisappointed But Relieved Face.
Same here. I had a few hundred shares of AIM.PR.C at a limit of $7.60 that would have been filled if I hadn't chickened out. 20% yield. It's now around 12 or so. My understanding is that AIM prefs bottomed on a high volume of margin calls and recovered almost as quickly as they had dropped.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
1967 posts
613 upvotes
Any thoughts on Bombardier preferreds? Or preferreds generally (or specifically, heh)?

Picked up a few AIM and AIM preferred c's, but not at the bottom. We'll see.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9826 posts
829 upvotes
SAM3674 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 4:32 pm
Bought at close $3.15

Why sell after ex dividend if that will likely be priced in the following day?

Should be interesting going forward. I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't recovered more already given that the news isn't crippling to the business plus the timeline. Wishful thinking but imagine if with Westjets expansion plans they announced a partnership with Aeroplan....this would start to run nicely. It would benefit WestJet to fill their planes as well.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1534 posts
602 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
RolandCouch wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:33 pm

Should be interesting going forward. I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't recovered more already given that the news isn't crippling to the business plus the timeline. Wishful thinking but imagine if with Westjets expansion plans they announced a partnership with Aeroplan....this would start to run nicely. It would benefit WestJet to fill their planes as well.
Highly doubt Westjet would buy or partner with Aimia, although that would be very interesting. Westjet already has their Westjet Dollars program so it would have to take this into factor. If Westjet truly wants to become a traditional carrier like it seems to be doing, it is one way of doing so. Their dollars program has virtually no partnerships. They are all partners but must be purchased via westjet.com so they are more partners which Westjet likely earns commissions instead. Conversion of Aeroplan into a program at Westjet with airline partnership in OneWorld or Skyteam could be an interesting development. That being said, I don't think they would do so. The cost would be higher than starting their own, although getting the partnerships that Aeroplan has with hotels, car rental and other travel services would be a big boon to Westjet. Westjet also has too much commitments to expenditures(eg. 787, new ULCC etc.), so a buyout is unlikely.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9826 posts
829 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:53 pm
Highly doubt Westjet would buy or partner with Aimia, although that would be very interesting. Westjet already has their Westjet Dollars program so it would have to take this into factor. If Westjet truly wants to become a traditional carrier like it seems to be doing, it is one way of doing so. Conversion of Aeroplan into a program at Westjet with airline partnership in OneWorld or Skyteam could be an interesting development. That being said, I don't think they would do so. The cost would be higher than starting their own, although getting the partnerships that Aeroplan has with hotels, car rental and other travel services would be a big boon to Westjet. Westjet also has too much commitments to expenditures(eg. 787, new ULCC etc.), so a buyout is unlikely.
Just to clarify in case I was unclear, I don't believe in any posts I suggested a buyout. I was just saying that a partnership - for example WestJet allowing Aeroplan miles to be converted and used on their flights would be big.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1534 posts
602 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
RolandCouch wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:59 pm
Just to clarify in case I was unclear, I don't believe in any posts I suggested a buyout. I was just saying that a partnership - for example WestJet allowing Aeroplan miles to be converted and used on their flights would be big.
I read your post. I know you didn't say buyout. My thinking though is that If Westjet wanted to partner with Aeroplan, they would rather buy it out and control the revenue. That is precisely why Air Canada is abandoning it. Hence why I mention buy out because ultimately, they would rather want to profit from the miles and not have to pay it out as a cost. The mere fact that Westjet has so many expenditures coming up would be a reason why I don't think a partnership would be made.

If anything, Westjet would start it from scratch, even though the immediate benefits would exist to partner with Aeroplan right away. There is still 3 years that Aeroplan has to continue partnering with Air Canada which gives plenty of time for Westjet to further develop their own program. And because of that contract, I think it would be impossible for a partnership to be announced before that time. I think that Westjet would work toward becoming a new member in Oneworld or Skyteam through their own program in 2020 with the introduction of the 787.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Jan 15, 2015
401 posts
149 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
May 16th, 2017 5:33 pm

Funny thing I observed lately is when stocks gap down days or weeks before the ex-div date, many people forget to price in the dividend or just aren't aware you need to buy at least one day before (record date usually 2 days after ex-div, settlement date is 3 business days - to be a buyer on record, purchase one day before ex-div). As a seller you can sell on ex-div to collect; as a buyer you need to buy at least one day early.

A few stocks in recent memory stayed the same, or even went up, on the ex-div date. Example are: RGR on 15-Mar-17, TUP on 16-Mar-17 (both NYSE).

I would agree that in general the average drop should roughly equal to the dividend payout, but shares sometimes even get bid up on ex-div date. For example, ACO.X on TSE had the earnings release one trading day before ex-div on 06-Mar-17, and the shares went higher. Because I buy a large number of shares, as I did with AIM, even pennies can add up for an unemployed bum like me Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.

I would normally not consider AIM as a medium to long-term investment despite the high dividend, but with the recent drop I couldn't resist for trading purposes. As I said in another post, I read that lost AC business accounted for around 70% of free cash flow, so maybe that's why the share price hasn't recovered quickly.

I'm not a Westjet customer, but I understand they have their own frequent flyer program. It makes perfect business sense to partner with Aeroplan and realize better economies of scale - but yes, wishful thinking, unless management realizes their expansion plans need to be offset by cost-cutting elsewhere.

(Edit: after reading above posts by xgbsSS, I agree that it's unlikely to see a Westjet-Aeroplan partnership.)
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3092 posts
492 upvotes
Slf @45.5

Will add more if it gets cheaper - bot more @44.5
Last edited by dlhunter on May 16th, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2384 posts
387 upvotes
Got some in VGK and VPL in investment acct; not often traded as opposed to trading acct
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1790 posts
576 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Selling:

HCG (except for 1 share - never forget!)
WJA