• Sep 22nd, 2017 1:52 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2016
187 posts
76 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:30 pm
It doesn't really matter if you buy the CDN banks on the TSX or NYSE as the price should be the same (adjusting for currency). Owing in US you would probably take a slight hit on the currency conversion with dividends (its 1.5% with TD)

All the banks look a bit overvalued right now. I own RY, TD and BNS. If I had to pick right now, I would choose TD and BNS based on their current valuation.
I prefer CIBC to either of those. The valuation is much better, the dividend is much better, and, if I want diversification by way of US banking, I can just buy shares in a US bank. BNS gives South/Central American exposure, but, again, there are other ways of getting that.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3101 posts
493 upvotes
bot CTC.A @143
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Dec 3, 2014
914 posts
162 upvotes
Ismellofhockey wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 9:18 am
But you have exchange rate risks, and your dividends are taxable.
I don't see exchange rate risks. It's currency diversification and there's no foreseeable reason why one would be on the losing side (in any meaningful sense) of a currency trade holding US equities. If you can, buy XLF in your RRSP which solves the foreign withholding issue. I buy XLF not just with dividends in mind but share appreciation.
Dec 3, 2014
914 posts
162 upvotes
Wavelet wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 9:43 am
I prefer CIBC to either of those. The valuation is much better, the dividend is much better, and, if I want diversification by way of US banking, I can just buy shares in a US bank. BNS gives South/Central American exposure, but, again, there are other ways of getting that.
What happens to CIBC when the real estate market falls out from under itself?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3101 posts
493 upvotes
llpresident wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:03 pm
What happens to CIBC when the real estate market falls out from under itself?
"this will never happen! Government will not let prices fall! This time it's different!"
LOL

p.s. honestly, banks are hedged and insured. Only small portion of their portfolio uninsured. They are machines to make money. But what could bring their share price down is indebted consumer not willing to take on new loans. Existing loans will make the banks profitable anyway, just don't expect EPS growth like in the past.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1549 posts
612 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Bought Exchange Income Corp and Laurentian Bank
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1549 posts
612 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
jerryhung wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 9:39 am
holy, Air Canada (AC) +10% on good news
why did we buy anything else, geez...
Long overdue... I am now considering paring down my position and cashing out on my gains :D My bet paid off!
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Dec 22, 2005
179 posts
10 upvotes
Can't you buy the bank in CDN and journal the shares over to USD?
Isn't that the same thing? No need to worry about currency exchangel
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3101 posts
493 upvotes
schnitzer wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 1:27 pm
Can't you buy the bank in CDN and journal the shares over to USD?
Isn't that the same thing? No need to worry about currency exchangel
the dividend gets paid in CAD, so you will lose conversion fee (1.5-2.5%). why?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3101 posts
493 upvotes
bot TSLA JUL +305 / -2x325 / +350 broken wing butterfly. pure bounce play.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4929 posts
273 upvotes
Markham
Anyone picking up THO Tahoe Resources? -30% since one of their mines temporarily(?) suspended
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)