• Jul 24th, 2017 5:15 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2016
156 posts
49 upvotes
llpresident wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:03 pm
What happens to CIBC when the real estate market falls out from under itself?
The same thing that happens to all the other Canadian banks: their share price and short-term growth takes a hit, as they take some losses to uninsured mortgages. While that's happening, I'll collect my 4.8% dividend, rather than the 3.7% dividend currently available at TD or RBC. All I'm saying is that if I'm going to play rising Canadian interest rates by owning a Canadian bank, then I might as well own a Canadian bank, rather than some half-Canadian bank which trades at a premium due to exposure to the US (like TD or RBC). If I want exposure to the US, I will get it via a US bank.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
1491 posts
475 upvotes
Put in a buy for aim again yesterday, thin volume in the morning so I was going to do a day trade. Buy was for 38000 shares at $1.60 but it didn't get that low. Bounced off it's intraday low at the end of the day. My eyes maybe too big, was looking at a buy at $1.60 and a sell at $1.70, if I had grabbed at $1.62 and had a ¢5 window I could have sold at $1.67 for $1900 profit.

May take another stab at it again today depending on volume... Keep my window small, ¢5 will net me a tidy profit.

-=AM Edit=- Bought 38000 shares at $1.60 this morning. Put in sell order for $1.68 (greedy). Will review throughout morning and lower to $1.65 if I get too worried about volume.

-=PM Edit=- revised sell order to $1.65 as volume did not build throughout the early afternoon. Sell order was filled, 38000 shares at ¢5 profit for $1,900.

I have a TONNE of aim in my TFSA with an average cost in the low $2 range. I've been watching this since the end of May. I'm gonna keep flipping this in my rrsp whenever I see a favorable pattern develop.
Last edited by kr0zet on Jul 7th, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 1, 2015
585 posts
122 upvotes
MB
Following the inside candle reversal on WTI, bought the BetaPro Crude Oil Bear (HOD.TO) @ $13.64. Price target of $15.5.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
2976 posts
470 upvotes
nice reversal on TSLA intraday. I flipped my cards and now modestly long. There are few gaps above that I hope would be closed.
bot AZO @502 - similar idea, gap close off support

interestingly, new Russel 2000 e-mini futures started trading at CME. So far, volume is extremely low
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1673 posts
514 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
In reg account - selling TSE: ACO.X, buying TSE: CRWN
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
2976 posts
470 upvotes
COST approaching my target @150
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3519 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
treva84 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:29 am
In reg account - selling TSE: ACO.X, buying TSE: CRWN
What are you thoughts on CRWN? Any risks you can think of? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1504 posts
71 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:45 am
COST approaching my target @150
Debating on this one too. Valuation seems much more reasonable now.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1673 posts
514 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
cn_habs wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:53 am
What are you thoughts on CRWN? Any risks you can think of? Thanks.
I like the company and there is high insider ownership (~30%). Recently there has been lots of insider buying as well, which is what triggered this order. I don't think it's cheap, but if growth expectations are met it's a good GARP play.

With respect to risks, you are essentially dependent on management's ability to successfully loan money. If management does a bad job assessing risks and makes bad loans, then they are destroying value. Furthermore the loans are fairly concentrated in energy or energy associated companies - 44%. While the loans are in place there is a switching cost, but once the loans are repaid CRWN has no moat. As the loan terms are fixed, CRWN is dependent on finding new companies to re-finance to ensure ongoing operations. Also this will lead to some cyclicality, depending on economic expansion / contraction. On the plus side, management does a good job with value adds - in addition to a loan with a 10-16% interest rate, they often get perks - i.e. warrants, equity, etc as part of the deal.

Shares are also very illiquid as well, which is no surprise given the market cap.

I'm hoping to ride coat tails - if there wasn't a substantial insider ownership with recent insider buying I wouldn't be buying this today.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1723 posts
67 upvotes
On the TSX - will probably buy SAP and add to IPL. Likely selling PWF. And keeping a long-term eye on PEY. It's down almost 40% over the past year and although it doesn't meet my usual DGI criteria, it's starting to look like an attractive valuation.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1204 posts
488 upvotes
Hamilton
Dpack22 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 2:20 pm
Using money from tax return to buy split positions in CTC'A @ 158.51 and IAG @ $50.88 . Solid earnings on both and both down a fair bit. Looking to exit around $185 on CTC and $58 on IAG.

Wish I bought CTC yesterday but I wouldn't have gotten a better deal in IAG. We'll see how this plays out.

Wanted to buy AIM yesterday but I wasn't nearly brave enough. Those trades are for people with bigger stones than me.
Sold my position on IAG @$58.26 and doubled down into a full position of CTC'A (play money anyways). Was debating buying CNQ but oil needs some quiet time in the corner to get itself sorted out.
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
Oct 21, 2014
548 posts
299 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Started position in UnitedHealth at 187.01
Oct 3, 2005
805 posts
23 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 12:26 pm
Sold my position on IAG @$58.26 and doubled down into a full position of CTC'A (play money anyways). Was debating buying CNQ but oil needs some quiet time in the corner to get itself sorted out.
Sorry for my ignorance, but why CTC'A?

Any thoughts on TSLA?

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 4 guests)

mtlmnz