• Nov 20th, 2017 3:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4034 posts
872 upvotes
Thornhill
Added Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) to Watchlist for long-entry simply to buy a full position as close to it being added into S&P500 index as possible.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2144 posts
493 upvotes
bought SNAP, hoping for a quick run-up before earnings as I think it will be disappointed again
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1545 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:13 am
Added Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) to Watchlist for long-entry simply to buy a full position as close to it being added into S&P500 index as possible.
What's your rational for TSLA being added to the S&P? Genuinely curious, it's not a stock I watch/follow.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4034 posts
872 upvotes
Thornhill
Dpack22 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:41 am
What's your rational for TSLA being added to the S&P? Genuinely curious, it's not a stock I watch/follow.
It's based on the S&P's eligibility criteria listed on pg.5 : https://us.spindices.com/documents/meth ... ndices.pdf

Tesla currently meets 4 of the 5 criteria except "the sum of the most recent four consecutive quarters’ Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP") earnings (net income excluding discontinued operations) should be positive as should the most recent quarter".

This is going to be tough for Tesla as far as i know (limited personal knowledge of this company) they've only had 1 quarter of the last 8 that resulted in GAAP profits. I have no idea if the new Model 3 will really take this company to sustainable profitability given how R&D intensive they are but if and when they are close to be added to the S&P I'm going to be a buyer. Just need to follow the company's ER's going forward which won't be too difficult given their exposure on the news circuit anyways.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2075 posts
68 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:23 am
bought SNAP, hoping for a quick run-up before earnings as I think it will be disappointed again
just watch out for month end when the option lockup ends
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2578 posts
457 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got options calls for EBAY and QCOM... simply for earnings trade.

Correction... did not get EBAY options.

Did sell NFLX after hours; of course it went higher after that!!
Last edited by georvu on Jul 17th, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3187 posts
512 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:53 am
It's based on the S&P's eligibility criteria listed on pg.5 : https://us.spindices.com/documents/meth ... ndices.pdf

Tesla currently meets 4 of the 5 criteria except "the sum of the most recent four consecutive quarters’ Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP") earnings (net income excluding discontinued operations) should be positive as should the most recent quarter".

This is going to be tough for Tesla as far as i know (limited personal knowledge of this company) they've only had 1 quarter of the last 8 that resulted in GAAP profits. I have no idea if the new Model 3 will really take this company to sustainable profitability given how R&D intensive they are but if and when they are close to be added to the S&P I'm going to be a buyer. Just need to follow the company's ER's going forward which won't be too difficult given their exposure on the news circuit anyways.
from the horse's mouth. I would not touch TSLA
LINK
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1142 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
In the speculative portion of my CAD non-reg account, swapped BBD.PR.C (after about 80% capital gain + dividends) for equal market value BBD.PR.D.

The C is a straight perpetual trading about $18/share (8.8% yield) which will not do well with rising rates. The D is trading around $10.60 and is a rate-ratchet pref that will reset in Aug 2017 using a ridiculously complex formula based on the Canada 5 year and a multiplier. Bottom line you get a 25% raise on the D at reset due to rising rates and is set for the next five years (9.4% yield at current price).

In a rising rate environment, the D's will do much better with more room for capital appreciation.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2008 posts
626 upvotes
STP123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 2:31 pm
In the speculative portion of my CAD non-reg account, swapped BBD.PR.C (after about 80% capital gain + dividends) for equal market value BBD.PR.D.

The C is a straight perpetual trading about $18/share (8.8% yield) which will not do well with rising rates. The D is trading around $10.60 and is a rate-ratchet pref that will reset in Aug 2017 using a ridiculously complex formula based on the Canada 5 year and a multiplier. Bottom line you get a 25% raise on the D at reset due to rising rates and is set for the next five years (9.4% yield at current price).

In a rising rate environment, the D's will do much better with more room for capital appreciation.
Do you have a link to the calculation? All I can see is that the rate would not be less than 80% of the BoC bond yield rate, http://ir.bombardier.com/en/share-information

I looked at these a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't make much sense.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1142 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
daverobev wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:38 pm
Do you have a link to the calculation? All I can see is that the rate would not be less than 80% of the BoC bond yield rate, http://ir.bombardier.com/en/share-information

I looked at these a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't make much sense.
Prefblog explains it: http://prefblog.com/?p=35115

As of August 1, 2017, its Series 3 Preferred Shares will pay, on a quarterly basis, as and when declared by the Board of Directors of Bombardier Inc., cash dividends for the following five years that will be based on a fixed rate equal to the product of (a) the average of the yield to maturity, designated on July 11, 2017 by National Bank Financial Inc. and Scotia Capital Inc., that would be carried by a Government of Canada bond with a five-year maturity, namely 1.503%, multiplied by (b) 265%, which multiplier was previously announced on June 16, 2017.

Accordingly, the annual dividend rate applicable to the Series 3 Preferred Shares for the period of five years beginning on August 1, 2017 will be 3.983%.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4969 posts
308 upvotes
Markham
STP123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:44 pm
Prefblog explains it: http://prefblog.com/?p=35115

As of August 1, 2017, its Series 3 Preferred Shares will pay, on a quarterly basis, as and when declared by the Board of Directors of Bombardier Inc., cash dividends for the following five years that will be based on a fixed rate equal to the product of (a) the average of the yield to maturity, designated on July 11, 2017 by National Bank Financial Inc. and Scotia Capital Inc., that would be carried by a Government of Canada bond with a five-year maturity, namely 1.503%, multiplied by (b) 265%, which multiplier was previously announced on June 16, 2017.

Accordingly, the annual dividend rate applicable to the Series 3 Preferred Shares for the period of five years beginning on August 1, 2017 will be 3.983%.
If you're ok with BBD, why not get the PR.B instead?

Pays monthly and resets as prime changes; don't even have to wait for the 5 yr reset cycle
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1142 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
charliebrown wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 5:11 pm
If you're ok with BBD, why not get the PR.B instead?

Pays monthly and resets as prime changes; don't even have to wait for the 5 yr reset cycle
Yes, the B is another option, if you believe in rising rates and comfortable with buying BBD. Both B and D currently trade around $10.60. However, the yield for B is around 7% at current pricing as it moves with prime (variable), whereas I just locked in for 5 years @ 9.4% for the D. In order for the B to "catch up" to D, prime needs to be around 4%. Certainly possible, but I'd rather take the 9.4% for another 5 years. It's much like choosing a mortgage...it all depends on your perspective on rates.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2104 posts
97 upvotes
Markham
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:56 am
Bought full position in Blue Apron Holdings Inc (NYSE:APRN) for intra-day trade as it's now impossible to borrow shares to short (there's none left) @ 6.6386 U

Sell on Stop set @ $6.80 to cap gain for the day

FIlled @ $6.80
Just curious, more of a general question, what's a full position? I don't think it's 100 shares.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1111 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
dec12 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 7:39 am
Just curious, more of a general question, what's a full position? I don't think it's 100 shares.
I think its around 5000$ value for Jeenyus if I remember right. Im sure hell correct me if I am wrong
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4526 posts
495 upvotes
I remember seeng 3 and 6k
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."