Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9712 posts
752 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 12:32 pm
I saw that as well. That should affect bbu.un which is also up 6%. I don't think BIP would be involved.
Just my best guess.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4918 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
dlhunter wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:16 am
bot short W @ 73.5
closed all directional bets in W and opened new Sep 65/85 short strangle
bot TEVA @18.5
looking to buy VRX on weakness
Quite the tumble for VRX after initially opening up 10%
Barely green for the day
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3036 posts
485 upvotes
charliebrown wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 3:41 pm
Quite the tumble for VRX after initially opening up 10%
Barely green for the day
the whole sector is heavy. VRX, TEVA, MYL, GSK, AZN, NVS. But this is where opportunity could be, these companies will not go to zero.

sold COST @158
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4918 posts
267 upvotes
Markham
dlhunter wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 4:11 pm
the whole sector is heavy. VRX, TEVA, MYL, GSK, AZN, NVS. But this is where opportunity could be, these companies will not go to zero.

sold COST @158
VRX down -5% again. Earnings pop fizzled entirely ..wonder when is the next support level...maybe $16 on the CAD side
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3036 posts
485 upvotes
charliebrown wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:05 am
VRX down -5% again. Earnings pop fizzled entirely ..wonder when is the next support level...maybe $16 on the CAD side
I will start buying near $14.3 USD. At this time, max 500 shares spread over 20c intervals to a min 13.4 at which point I will reevaluate my stance.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19797 posts
2932 upvotes
Waterloo
TSX Utilities/pipelines/yield plays are just going nowhere but down, even with crude near $50 USD
ALA, IPL new 52w low
ENB/ENF are not much better either

I want to buy more, but without seeing a reversal in price action or sentiment, I'm hestitant
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1729 posts
529 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:27 am
TSX Utilities/pipelines/yield plays are just going nowhere but down, even with crude near $50 USD
ALA, IPL new 52w low

I want to buy more, but without seeing a reversal in price action or sentiment, I'm hestitant
The cheaper the asset the less risky it becomes.
Aug 17, 2008
479 posts
129 upvotes
There was no almost risk in Bear Stearns @ $3.00 Winking Face
Aug 17, 2008
479 posts
129 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:27 am
ALA, IPL new 52w low

http://business.financialpost.com/commo ... 30279f728f

The stampede to the oil sands exit isn't over, but it's slowing because there's hardly anyone left to leave.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1729 posts
529 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
MrMom wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:21 pm
There was no almost risk in Bear Stearns @ $3.00 Winking Face
Imagine buying BAC at $3 (nearly 10x in 10 years) or C at $10 (~6x in 10 years)! Buying cheap pays off!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1734 posts
71 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:22 am
Thanks :) At this time, there aren't any very as attractive plays per say. I think EIF is a good opportunity with the short sale pressuring the stock and I believe that it can payout a good return in the short term. I have been also eyeing Volaris (NASDAQ:VLRS) that I had gone in, sold with a bit of a rise and back out.

in the case of Volaris, part of the big risk is the Mexican peso which has dived in value due to Trump and declined oil prices and production with costs in US $. Their last few numbers were a little disappointing, and although passenger numbers have improved a bit, there still hasn't been meaningful increased revenue.

Air Canada has been a once in a lifetime kind of investment. I happened to be interested in the aviation industry and have researched and parsed through the numbers and come to see the value in the shares. I am looking but now that more and more people have seen the value of airline shares, I dont think we will have the same kind of increases we have seen. Air Canada is still one of the better plays as they still have high leverage, but that is being paid down. Because of that alone, we could expect more increases in the future.

Outside the airline space, I am holding a large position in Bank of Internet. This is another Cohodes short. It has consistently hit record earnings and revenues, but the crazy +40% short interest continues to astound me. I am averaging high $26 on this, but I could see a blow out to $40 easily.
Thanks for the reply. Some interesting suggestions there. Funny that you mention once in a lifetime kind of investment because I was thinking of Bank of America in the low single digit range as Treva84 just pointed out. That one I watched and watched but regrettably didn't pull the trigger on it. Hopefully there will be more of these and I'll actually jump on them when they come up, then we won't be able to say once in a lifetime anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1734 posts
71 upvotes
Bought ENB. 1/2 position for now, decided to finally enter this one.

Kind of wish I added to my 1/2 position in STN before it's +10% pop today...
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1474 posts
573 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Capt. wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:58 pm
Thanks for the reply. Some interesting suggestions there. Funny that you mention once in a lifetime kind of investment because I was thinking of Bank of America in the low single digit range as Treva84 just pointed out. That one I watched and watched but regrettably didn't pull the trigger on it. Hopefully there will be more of these and I'll actually jump on them when they come up, then we won't be able to say once in a lifetime anymore.
I also bought BAC back in the day in the 5s and 8s, but this was after holding BAC in the 40s and 50s. It was one of my first investments as a high school student and got plowed by the mortgage crisis. I held and added over the years via their stock purchase plan and drip. I sold out in the $16s with an overall profit. Could have held longer for a bigger profit, but still happy with my result :) I am also waiting for my class action litigation settlement from BAC, so BAC will still be paying me :)
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

porticoman, cire