• Oct 23rd, 2017 2:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3130 posts
497 upvotes
VIX over $12. I feel pain coming...

Edit: closed near 11. I decided it could be time and started small position shorting SVXY via longer dated options (dec 90/80 put spread).
After Jeff Gundlach mentioned he longed VIX with 400% return potential, I was intrigued how he managed that. I think its one of ETNs such as SVXY/XIV etc. My prob to make money is near 70%, I will post my experience and how i managed🤣

Dec +90p/-80p/Sep -95c for 1.6 debit
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Oct 21, 2014
639 posts
430 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Wonder if it is a good time to add to healthcare, infra and materials stocks. If there is a war with NK, the US may need to rebuild the country after steamrolling it, and would represent a good opportunity.
Feb 1, 2015
603 posts
131 upvotes
MB
1/3 position in XIV through HVI.TO @ $14.74.
Another tranche @ $14.28 .

Edit :
Initiated a position in RNW.TO @ $13.96.
Last edited by catoun on Aug 10th, 2017 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3130 posts
497 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:13 pm
VIX over $12. I feel pain coming...

Dec +90p/-80p/Sep -95c for 1.6 debit
First, VIX hit 15 this AM. WOW
Second, SVXY down $6 at 80. What is immediately clear - my mistake was going longer dated options. Dec 90/80 spread barely moved, but Sep 95 calls are down 50% overnight. Sweet, I will take it

Shorting VIX is still dangerous. All those funds were caught short in the last two days and today they had to close. I think many more are still trapped hoping for break even. Stay long volatility until it hits 20;)
Last edited by dlhunter on Aug 10th, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3130 posts
497 upvotes
I am surprised nobody talks DIS. It's cheap comparing to others (PE 17.5, Forward PE 16 vs S&P 25). ESPN is a problem, but they will fix it. Looking at estimates (past and forward), they have been growing top line steady for the last 5 years (and projected to do so).
Dec 3, 2014
989 posts
172 upvotes
Ontario
dlhunter wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:36 am
I am surprised nobody talks DIS. It's cheap comparing to others (PE 17.5, Forward PE 16 vs S&P 25). ESPN is a problem, but they will fix it. Looking at estimates (past and forward), they have been growing top line steady for the last 5 years (and projected to do so).
I've been sitting on a haflf position for a few years. I'll keep riding but I'd like to add around $90. I think it can go there. Investment to build out a streaming service is enormous and will start immediately whereas revenue from that service will not start scoring through for many quarters.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3130 posts
497 upvotes
llpresident wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:40 am
I've been sitting on a haflf position for a few years. I'll keep riding but I'd like to add around $90. I think it can go there. Investment to build out a streaming service is enormous and will start immediately whereas revenue from that service will not start scoring through for many quarters.
well, you could be right. 92-94 strong support. DIS lost 200 MA and could drop some more... it's on my watch ;)
in other news, CTC/A finally broke above! How high can that go ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3130 posts
497 upvotes
US 10y approaching 2.2, 30y important auction today (I think). if demand is strong, yields could drop some more.
Yen getting stronger in the face of appreciating USD. It's usually safety trade (similar to Bonds)
IMO, next stop on S&P 2425
Nov 28, 2010
874 posts
118 upvotes
Brampton
Just sold my entire VCE position and considering buying VXC or VCN although contemplating waiting a bit more to see if prices drop more
Dec 3, 2014
989 posts
172 upvotes
Ontario
dlhunter wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:56 am
US 10y approaching 2.2, 30y important auction today (I think). if demand is strong, yields could drop some more.
Yen getting stronger in the face of appreciating USD. It's usually safety trade (similar to Bonds)
IMO, next stop on S&P 2425
Gold also creeping up. Risk off.
Jun 28, 2016
197 posts
83 upvotes
Added to IPL ahead of earnings. Earnings may be bad, but, even if they are, I like this price.
Mar 3, 2011
8 posts
1 upvote
Rather than pipelines, nothing else looks cheap, we have been in bull for too long

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 2 guests)

llpresident, catoun, Ishak10, lemailme, Siralex