• Aug 17th, 2017 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2001
26192 posts
5283 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 4:02 pm
AQN has a 5% discount on their drip. Its a slight miss for the quarter. Below is from TD who have a price target of 15.
i've seen AQN on a few different recommended lists and it has me inclined to purchase some shares. A few things I'm unclear about:
- the dividend is paid in USD. does my brokerage convert this to CDN before paying out, or will it get deposited straight into my USD cash account?
- does this complicate things as far as taxation goes?
- I've read over their DRIP's PDF file and I'm unclear how exactly it works with respect to getting enrolled if I say have all my stocks with Questrade. How will they know to buy shares at the 5% discount with my dividends?
Don't talk about it, be about it
Feb 26, 2017
158 posts
38 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:23 pm
i've seen AQN on a few different recommended lists and it has me inclined to purchase some shares. A few things I'm unclear about:
- the dividend is paid in USD. does my brokerage convert this to CDN before paying out, or will it get deposited straight into my USD cash account?
- does this complicate things as far as taxation goes?
- I've read over their DRIP's PDF file and I'm unclear how exactly it works with respect to getting enrolled if I say have all my stocks with Questrade. How will they know to buy shares at the 5% discount with my dividends?
Your brokerage will convert unless you own it in your us account. It's cross listed so you can buy on the TSX and journal to the NYSE.

There are no taxation issues as it's a Canadian company. The drip is a treasury drip where AQN is issuing new shares. All your brokerage will need to do is enroll.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
1944 posts
603 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:33 pm
Your brokerage will convert unless you own it in your us account. It's cross listed so you can buy on the TSX and journal to the NYSE.

There are no taxation issues as it's a Canadian company. The drip is a treasury drip where AQN is issuing new shares. All your brokerage will need to do is enroll.
http://www.dripprimer.ca/canadiandiscountbrokers

AFAIK Questrade "can't" do that. It's annoying.
Sep 30, 2001
26192 posts
5283 upvotes
daverobev wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:12 pm
http://www.dripprimer.ca/canadiandiscountbrokers

AFAIK Questrade "can't" do that. It's annoying.
Thanks. I just gave quest as a random example. I've quickly read through that site and I'm still unclear on the process - it seems a tad complicated. I'll start a new thread on this so as not to take this one off topic
Mar 8, 2004
428 posts
37 upvotes
Looking at Interpipeline again. I'm slightly under what I bought it at and have been reading their recent earnings report and heard the conference call.

Looks like the dividend is well covered but I wonder should there be a general market correction, I would think IPL will drop as well.
Aug 16, 2015
94 posts
7 upvotes
Gabriella wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:20 pm
Looking at Interpipeline again. I'm slightly under what I bought it at and have been reading their recent earnings report and heard the conference call.

Looks like the dividend is well covered but I wonder should there be a general market correction, I would think IPL will drop as well.
Im bag holding CVE IPL CVE ENB GXO. Unless oil gets its ass over 55 soon we are all fu****.

42 oil up to 49 and the stocks are still headed lower. Not good.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19803 posts
2933 upvotes
Waterloo
kilburn305 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:41 pm
Im bag holding CVE IPL CVE ENB GXO. Unless oil gets its ass over 55 soon we are all fu****.

42 oil up to 49 and the stocks are still headed lower. Not good.
Crude is already at $50 and those are nowhere near highs. We are all fu**ed :(
Just too much bearish sentiment for TSX Energy (or even SP500 Energy) in general
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Feb 9, 2013
834 posts
96 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 9:15 pm
Crude is already at $50 and those are nowhere near highs. We are all fu**ed :(
Just too much bearish sentiment for TSX Energy (or even SP500 Energy) in general
Lost 30% of my energy/oil portfolio back in 2014/2015. Learned never to touch them since, and glad I didn't.
Dec 7, 2007
218 posts
66 upvotes
toolioiep wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 12:16 pm
I also bought in on the dip - 400 shares @ 79.70
Sold today 400 shares @ 102.04.

I struggled with this one - I really like the company and sector but the valuation is way too high for me at this point. I may sit and wait to re-enter.... I'll have to see.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19803 posts
2933 upvotes
Waterloo
toolioiep wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 1:31 pm
Sold today 400 shares @ 102.04.

I struggled with this one - I really like the company and sector but the valuation is way too high for me at this point. I may sit and wait to re-enter.... I'll have to see.
No idea what stock/ticker you're referring to as you quoted yourself :P
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
Dec 7, 2007
218 posts
66 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 1:43 pm
No idea what stock/ticker you're referring to as you quoted yourself :P
Fair point - my bad.

It's V - VISA.
Sep 30, 2001
26192 posts
5283 upvotes
purchased ZWE to round out my couch potato portfolio.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19803 posts
2933 upvotes
Waterloo
toolioiep wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 2:03 pm
Fair point - my bad.

It's V - VISA.
Thanks, yeah, wished I never sold V either, but it's pretty pricey/near the top
And of course it keeps going higher, like +2% today to new ATH
1-month range is like $97 to $102, not much movement...not much dip last week either

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

firedragon14