What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 1:58 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2014
913 posts
161 upvotes
Thinking Harvey trade. Is there a good ETF tracking US building material stocks? XLB and similar won't work because they are weighted mostly towards chemical manufacturing. I'm looking specifically for building materials that would be used in home construction. And not something like Home Depot because, while not a terrible pick, the big companies and insurers likely skip the middle man.
Aug 17, 2008
520 posts
148 upvotes
llpresident wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 1:30 am
Thinking Harvey trade. Is there a good ETF tracking US building material stocks? XLB and similar won't work because they are weighted mostly towards chemical manufacturing. I'm looking specifically for building materials that would be used in home construction. And not something like Home Depot because, while not a terrible pick, the big companies and insurers likely skip the middle man.
Not an ETF answer, but other companies, https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/30/cramer- ... arvey.html
Oct 27, 2014
343 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dlhunter wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:29 am
btw, nothing is clear and we are NOT out of woods yet. Big boys are selling as evidenced by continued weakness in breadth indicator.
5% correction is due and it will happen quick.
my target is 2320
so how quick will this 5% correction happen?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1948 posts
30 upvotes
llpresident wrote:
Generally plowing into infrastructure related stocks doesn't appear to be a winning strategy in the short to medium term.

If you remember the fire in Fort Mcmurray everyone was crowning construction and engineering firms and it didn't really pan out. When Trump/Trudeau were pushing their national infrastructure initiatives, the stocks got a slight boost but fizzled out in a few months.

Just target solid companies with good growth prospects and a relatively clean balance sheet.

Good luck,
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
3942 posts
819 upvotes
Thornhill
Izzoshady wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 10:48 am
Generally plowing into infrastructure related stocks doesn't appear to be a winning strategy in the short to medium term.

If you remember the fire in Fort Mcmurray everyone was crowning construction and engineering firms and it didn't really pan out. When Trump/Trudeau were pushing their national infrastructure initiatives, the stocks got a slight boost but fizzled out in a few months.

Just target solid companies with good growth prospects and a relatively clean balance sheet.

Good luck,
I'd take a bet on either GM/Ford rather than infrastructure relate to construction as there's too many players in that field. You will however have to time your entry/exit quite remarkably - in particular I believe GM's monthly sales # comes out this Friday so you'll either have to enter just prior or after in advance to the next binary event related to replacing all the thousands of written off cars.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3092 posts
492 upvotes
llpresident wrote:
a lot of folks don't have flood insurance. I am not sure how they are going to pay for repairs
cars are easier trade. 40% of cars on the road in TX are trucks, with majority of them Ford. Then, used car dealers will benefit as there will be demand for cars (that they can bring from other states) and get insurance money for all damaged inventory.
AN seems like easy bet

edit: another company - United Rentals. And possibly auto rentals Hertz and Avis
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Dec 3, 2014
913 posts
161 upvotes
Izzoshady wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 10:48 am

Good luck,
Well I don't pretend to know what will or will not happen, but just looking for some obvious trades.

I mean this in the most sensitive way possible: Fort McMurray is insignificant compared with the Harvey damage.
Dec 3, 2014
913 posts
161 upvotes
I am noticing that while the markets have looked pretty good the last few days, Gold is very quietly creeping up steadily. GLD not far off from its 52 week high.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1792 posts
576 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Adding to CP, ENB and TD in non reg account today.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3092 posts
492 upvotes
GBTC - bitcoin trust. Yesterday CNBC had Citron Research A. Left talk about his short thesis. While it's compelling, I checked the issue and not sure who can actually act on it.
First, GBTC trades on Pink Sheets
Second, because of #1, margin requirements are huge
Third, GBTC was over 1000.

Practically speaking, shorting 100 shares at IB required 100K margin. Wow
Finally, stock is down 15% right now (or 150 points). Ouch
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19960 posts
2978 upvotes
Waterloo
This week (last week of summer, low volume, people on vacation) is just amazing. SP500/NASDAQ new ATH's
All news is good news, including NK firing missiles over Japan

TSX, not so awesome, relatively, including the banks
Today, retails are RED because of Amazon, AGAIN
Canadian grocery stocks slip on Amazon threat

Shares of Loblaw Companies (OTCPK:LBLCF) are down 2.0% in Toronto trading after Amazon brings Prime Now to Canada.
The move by the e-commerce giant raises concerns on pricing and online delivery competition.
Canadian grocer Metro Inc. (OTCPK:MTRAF) is down 1.6%.
CAD vs USD is 2-year high though. I bought some DLR at $12.32 to journal to DLR.U
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3629 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
bought a bit of CM and BNS.... For dividend long term hold
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1976 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Couldn't resist and bought some HLF after it's nice recent drop. Bought as a long term hold for the divvy.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3836 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Biff88 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 10:24 pm
Couldn't resist and bought some HLF after it's nice recent drop. Bought as a long term hold for the divvy.
reason for the drop?

High Liner Foods has seen its share price drop over the past three years, even amidst an increasing dividend, and stable earnings.

The drop in share price may be due to similar declines in year-over-year revenue.

?

are other comparable companies in the same sector declining as well recently?