Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1901 posts
664 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
greg123 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 10:53 am
reason for the drop?

High Liner Foods has seen its share price drop over the past three years, even amidst an increasing dividend, and stable earnings.

The drop in share price may be due to similar declines in year-over-year revenue.

?

are other comparable companies in the same sector declining as well recently?
Price wise, TSX: CLR is up 310% over the last 5 years.

According to morningstar data, revenue growth over the last 5 years has been 11.82% annualized.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1995 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
greg123 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 10:53 am
reason for the drop?
High Liner Foods has seen its share price drop over the past three years, even amidst an increasing dividend, and stable earnings.
The drop in share price may be due to similar declines in year-over-year revenue.
?
are other comparable companies in the same sector declining as well recently?
Their 2nd quarter profit was down by about 8 Mil due to a product recall. As usual the market overreacts, thus the drop providing a buying opportunity. Since this was a situation unique to Highliner, it would not apply to other companies in the sector which I believe are slightly down recently anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4032 posts
870 upvotes
Thornhill
If a nuclear tipped ICBM is launched by North Korea I am selling my physical gold as by then this announcement will likely raise gold prices +$1400 which I think will be the final straw before North Korea is scalped. More so via, economic scalping imho rather than war itself.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/asia/nort ... index.html
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20292 posts
3088 upvotes
Waterloo
MrMom wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 12:48 pm
Sold TECK.b @ $31.61. HG and other metals have had a nice run up.

Bought at $28.36: what-did-you-buy-what-might-you-buy-136 ... #p28111518

Think there's room to go higher on copper demand. Would rather have the money in hand than have headline risk.

Will revisit after the long weekend.
Good timing, TECK is -7% today :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3184 posts
510 upvotes
S&P failed to put new high. Lower high implies lower prices ahead... bonds, yen and gold catching a bid.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Aug 17, 2008
593 posts
180 upvotes
Thanks @charliebrown. I was looking for any news initially, but with FCX and metals dropping, I just assumed the TECK.b price drop was more broad market related. It looks like the sale went through the NYSE based on their greater volumes.

Updated Sept 8: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -its-stake

"The secondary sale was done through JPMorgan Chase & Co. with a pricing range of $23.75 to $24 a share -- or roughly $1 billion for 42 million shares."
Last edited by MrMom on Sep 5th, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1656 posts
677 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Added to Manulife (TSX:MFC)
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3725 posts
450 upvotes
Montreal
xgbsSS wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 12:26 pm
Added to Manulife (TSX:MFC)
Is it being dragged down because Hancock does business in southern states like Texas and Florida?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1656 posts
677 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
cn_habs wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:46 am
Is it being dragged down because Hancock does business in southern states like Texas and Florida?
Honest truth, I think that it has been down of late due to general market malaise. You can see almost the same tandem movements of stock price with Sunlife, and Sunlife has no property insurance operations in the US, although some of their accident and disability could be affected. That being said, Hurricane Harvey probably had an influence on insurance companies in general.

I think Manulife will be a general good bet longer term if they can either spinoff John Hancock or alter their US strategy, They did overpay for John Hancock back in the day, and they made a bad bet on long term care insurance in the US, but either spinning off the unit or the general wind down of the business should help. The general increase in interest rates will help and their Asian business is burgeoning.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3184 posts
510 upvotes
cn_habs wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:46 am
yes, all insurance cos dropped hard after Harvey. I am considering TRV and maybe ALL
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4032 posts
870 upvotes
Thornhill
$1350USD spot price on gold right now and USD/CAD very favourable...

I plan on going to visit my jeweler today to sell some gold.
Jun 28, 2016
205 posts
91 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 10:08 am
yes, all insurance cos dropped hard after Harvey. I am considering TRV and maybe ALL
You should probably wait until Irma's through with Florida.