Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
1970 posts
34 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:13 am
The movie side gets them customer volume for them to sell their money-makers to (beer/wine/cider at Cineplex now? I have to try this out). It's so hard finding an actual Canadian statistic, but attendance being down this summer (when CGX has 70% theatre market share) can't be good for selling pop & popcorn, compared to a quarter with a few good movies.
The way Cineplex benefits is that due to being the monopoly, they benefit in two ways. One being that ticket prices exceed inflation by a wide margin (much like tuition). Secondly, even with lower attendance, because of the price increases to tickets and concessions they can keep earnings headed in the right direction (to a degree).

I think they suffered because of their association with the rest of this industry this summer. Time will tell if this is truly going the way of Blockbuster. If that's the case, it will require a few more quarters of hard data before I bail on my long position.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1657 posts
679 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Bought some CCL.B and HCG today.
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Dec 30, 2014
273 posts
51 upvotes
booming
save3save4 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 9:54 am
___________________________________--

Jan 24th, 2016 10:26 PM

the big boys will take us higher. as usual they will try and trick the weak and take their $.
i will not fall for it.
this will be a nice up run.
wed. bottom will not be broken.
i was buying wed. classic v bottom.
30-1 selling!
many still don't believe so that means more up.
more cash to be extracted from bears.
i love bears xoxo

Feb 12th, 2016 09:02 AM

]great day yesterday.
as i've been saying the jan 20 lows will hold.
bears tried but couldn't get us lower.
up we go.
so obvious and predictable.
thank you to whoever sold me their shares yesterday!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mar 30th, 2016 03:05 PM
after yesterday do all you non-believers get it yet?
lol.
big boys never lose.
helicopters are in the air.
easy money.
still sitting on all my longs.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ALERT, ALERT< ALERT.
Do you remember me?
Are all you slow bears still here?
I pray you listened to me In Jan and Feb/16 and went long at the bottom when I was telling you it was a clear buy.
I pray you are awake now.
ALERT, ALERT< ALERT.
Buy the market. Today. Now.
I am buying XSP.
This man will 4x your money.
S&P will be over 8000.

Still don't believe me or get what is going on? LOL.

Time to make more $$$.
ride the wave. do not fight it.
the big boys do not lose.
easy money.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Are you guys loving this or what?
Still time to get on this train, we going to 8000 on the S&P.
easy money.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
only bet with money you can afford to lose
Nov 23, 2008
92 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Gungnir wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:00 pm
Added BIP.UN at 50.64
Great mind thinks alike... I added at 50.58 near the open... Now I have a full position
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1025 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
babu928 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:08 pm
Great mind thinks alike... I added at 50.58 near the open... Now I have a full position
Any idea why the big drop today ?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1657 posts
679 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
llpresident wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:35 am
Sold AC.TO @ $23.23
Curious on your reason for selling. Just not moving quickly enough?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20318 posts
3097 upvotes
Waterloo
AC had a quick reversal today again, down to $23.11, then up to $23.94 (vs. ATH $23.99)
Monday it dipped to $21.8 and reversed to $22.5

Bought
WDC $84

Markets at ATH again without AAPL
Chinese stocks continue to go up 3-4% daily without reason
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1025 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
xgbsSS wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:16 am
Curious on your reason for selling. Just not moving quickly enough?
No particular insight behind my sell. I had purchased it on a trade and was not looking to own it long term. It seemed to lose momentum over the past week or two, and I had regretted not selling it at around $23.99. With the run up yesterday, I decided to pull the trigger. I made only 10% on the trade but did so in a relatively short period of time so I'm content with it. It does appear I should have held in a little longer as it is up again today.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1657 posts
679 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
llpresident wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:01 am
No particular insight behind my sell. I had purchased it on a trade and was not looking to own it long term. It seemed to lose momentum over the past week or two, and I had regretted not selling it at around $23.99. With the run up yesterday, I decided to pull the trigger. I made only 10% on the trade but did so in a relatively short period of time so I'm content with it. It does appear I should have held in a little longer as it is up again today.
Fair enough ;) Trading vs long term strategy here. AC has always been an interesting trade. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but you still came out ahead! I think if I was to trade, I would have waited at least until the day before Investor Day. There will be liekly a runup, and you sell righr before should there be people disappointed (which almost always happens).
Aug 17, 2008
600 posts
185 upvotes
Filled on buy BIP.b (small) order @ $50.94 into the close. https://invst.ly/54-ad

1) Will be added to the S&P/TSX Composite Index (major), https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?ne ... bol=BIP.UN

2) Was able to add it below yesterday's USD issuance (minor)

In today Globe and Mail
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... e36240293/

Brookfield Infrastructure prepares to welcome new index investors

Brookfield Infrastructure Partners LP is on the cusp of its second decade, and chief executive officer Sam Pollock is shoring up capital while preparing to welcome a new slate of index investors to mark the occasion.
As soon as next week, BIP will mark a long-awaited milestone when it becomes a fixture on the S&P/TSX composite index, after recent changes to the eligibility requirements. BIP has been seeking the recognition for years, craving not only a higher profile but also access to the fast-growing group of exchange-traded funds.

"It opens up the door to a whole host of investors," said Mr. Pollock, who is also responsible for the expansion of the infrastructure operating platform at parent organization Brookfield Asset Management Inc. BIP is also seen as a candidate to be added to the TSX 60.

It's been roughly a decade since Brookfield said that it would spin out its infrastructure assets and list them on the New York Stock Exchange. At the time, the country's largest pension funds were just beginning to build up a presence in the still-emerging asset class, but there was an expectation that retail investors, too, were hungry for investments that could offer a steady income – particularly given the evaporation of income trusts.
These days, the market looks a lot different.

"What it feels like is taking place is a greater recognition by governments … that they can't do some infrastructure themselves," Mr. Pollock said. "Governments, at least in the developed world – Canada, U.S. and Europe – haven't really taken advantage of the dollars out there. So they're waking up to it."

That's likely to lead to an increase in public-private partnerships and privatizations in the next 10 years, Mr. Pollock said. After that, he anticipates that the asset class will be considered mature, much like the real estate industry is now.
Countries such as Canada and the United States have expressed interest in attracting more institutional investors to building projects such as toll roads, power lines and water treatment facilities in recent months. A record amount of money is being amassed by global infrastructure firms, according to alternative asset data provider Preqin, with yield-hungry investors drawn to the lower volatility, long-term nature and steady returns of the utility-like assets.
Amid the competition, BIP's favoured approach is to pitch its own projects, rather than just shopping at auction. The company maintains that there are pockets of opportunity to be carved out in niche areas such as Indian telecommunications and parts of the energy sector.

Devin Dodge, analyst at BMO Nesbitt Burns, began covering the stock earlier this week and sees a lot of growth potential. He points to the S&P/TSX composite index inclusion, the stock's valuation and the potential for the company to grow not only through mergers and acquisitions, but also through organic growth.
BIP has a backlog of capital projects – investments needed to maintain or improve its assets – of $2.4-billion (U.S.) and could increase by as much as $2-billion more within 12 months. Mr. Pollock said that these investment are typically where the business earns its highest returns because "we're not competing to the same degree as we would an M&A opportunity where we have to go up against a number of pension plans."

To fuel future deals – and fund the expanding need for capital investments needed to grow businesses BIP already owns – the company launched a $1-billion equity offering Monday. The deal included selling units through a bought deal for $700-million in proceeds, and raising he rest from a private placement with parent organization Brookfield. BIP's stock is up 31 per cent in the past year, but slipped about 5 per cent Tuesday.

Still on Mr. Pollock's wish list are more assets in the company's Canadian home market, which would appeal to more local investors. Ideally, he'd like to keep 25 to 30 per cent of the company's business in North America but finding good value has been a challenge. "The challenge is finding good value," he said. "I would say it's not as deep an investment pool as other markets. In Europe you have water companies, you have lots of transportation companies, toll road companies, airport companies. Well, we don't have those here."

In the meantime, BIP has spent the last few years focused on building up its investment business in Asia, establishing offices in the region and learning from the Brookfield real estate investment team's deals in the region.
"Probably the biggest focus today is Asia – so we've been building teams for about the three-four years in India, Japan, South Korea and China," Mr. Pollock said. In five to 10 years, he anticipates that one-quarter of BIP's business will be in Asia.
Feb 1, 2015
607 posts
132 upvotes
MB
Closed 2 of my position trades: Lithium Americas Corp @ $1.6 from $0.92 and Westjet @ 25.9 from $20.9.

I may add to my Open Text position in the coming weeks for the long-term portfolio.
Some positive moves on CVE the past few weeks. I May add as well on the next pullback, but still a losing position (-15%) :(.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1025 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
Been a couple recent recommendations on BNN for Vermillion Energy (VET.TO). Anyone own it ?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

01jayss