Tags:
None
Oct 27, 2014
360 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jerryhung wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:36 pm
OK, clearly you don't like SHOP, no need to argue, to each his own. just like I don't believe in TSLA yet it keeps going up regardless
Short attack are just that, short attack. Andrew Left attacked NVDA (worth $110, now it's $180), and many others

My only regret is selling my SHOP too early, yes I had it in $20-$40 USD's or $50's CAD
SHOP 52w range $124 - $38
My argument is not against you. I am just saying the company is overhyped, and no way the stock price and the market cap are justified. Shopify's market cap is valued at 1/10 of TD, with less than 0.5% of TD's revenue (cannot even compare income cause shopify has never turned a proft). Yet leflower wants to short TD because he think TD is way over valued. Yeyeye I understand growth growth growth, so Shopify needs to grow its revenue over 2000% from this point on just to justify its price now. How exactly does a website hosting company plan to pull in 3 billions of revenue a year?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20130 posts
3042 upvotes
Waterloo
muppetslayer wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:42 pm
My argument is not against you. I am just saying the company is overhyped, and no way the stock price and the market cap are justified. Shopify's market cap is valued at 1/10 of TD, with less than 0.5% of TD's revenue (cannot even compare income cause shopify has never turned a proft). Yet leflower wants to short TD because he think TD is way over valued.
That's the fundamental problem - everyone has different VALUATION of each company.
For a growth company, there's no right answer. Let me think, AMZN, SHOP, NVDA, NFLX, TSLA, etc... what's the "right P/E?"

BNN's take on this
http://www.bnn.ca/shopify-falls-after-s ... o-1.875268
Left’s analysis fell flat with at least one member of the analyst community. In an interview on BNN, D.A. Davidson’s Tom Forte, who is among the most bearish analysts on Shopify with the equivalent to a “hold” rating and a $115 target price, said he disagreed with Left’s assessment of the firm.
“This is an obviously negatively skewed view on Shopify, and an inappropriate one,” he said. “Ultimately, Shopify at its core is a software company that enables not only small to medium enterprises to create websites and sell products on the internet, but also large scale enterprises.”
Shopify has been among the top performers on the TSX, rising nearly 800 per cent from its initial public offering price of $17 per share in 2015.
anyway, end of SHOP discussion (I believe it has its own RFD thread anyway)
thoughts-shopify-2080481/9/#p28251035
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Oct 27, 2014
360 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jerryhung wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:47 pm
“Ultimately, Shopify at its core is a software company that enables not only small to medium enterprises to create websites and sell products on the internet, but also large scale enterprises.”
Like I said, a website hosting company. I guess the most valuable company in the world should be wordpress then, by this logic.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2480 posts
413 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
jerryhung wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 10:08 am
SHOPify at $110 USD on this strange -8% drop
Not sure... thought I heard that citroen [or something like that] is at it again... guess moving on from nvda

Bought some XOM, good divvy and downside I believe is 2-3 bucks at most; 1/2 position. Should oil rise then expect it to trade close to 90 [bought at just below 82].
Jul 27, 2017
443 posts
106 upvotes
GTA
georvu wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:14 pm
Not sure... thought I heard that citroen [or something like that] is at it again... guess moving on from nvda

Bought some XOM, good divvy and downside I believe is 2-3 bucks at most; 1/2 position. Should oil rise then expect it to trade close to 90 [bought at just below 82].
on XOM today's close just under $82, the JAN 2019 $75 covered call option (in the money) is paying $9

$75 + $9 = $84, + $0.77 x 5 in dividends on $75 money at risk, protection on the downside

So selling an 'in the money covered call' gets you $2 premium + intrinsic value, downside protection & dividends on $75 money at risk.

What if it gets called away sooner, well you'll have some dividends + the $2 premium

Or with time you could buy back the option at a cheaper price...depends on your trading strategy

Well that's what I would do, but that's me

Others may say..eck no way, the stock is going back to $90+

or could it drop further back to $75, if it does we'll buy more
Dec 3, 2014
987 posts
172 upvotes
Ontario
Still have too much cash. Looking for an industrial and possibly also a materials stock. Doesn't matter if CDN or US.

Any recommendations?
Apr 21, 2010
224 posts
18 upvotes
What do folks think about CLS; Pretty good on paper ; Not sure about next quarter earnings though.
Aug 4, 2014
969 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto, ON
llpresident wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:23 pm
Still have too much cash. Looking for an industrial and possibly also a materials stock. Doesn't matter if CDN or US.

Any recommendations?
NFI :) It's been consolidating for a few months - usually does it before the next "step up" :)
Aug 17, 2008
543 posts
159 upvotes
Have been watching TECK.b closely again for the last 2 days. I was unsure of where HG was going, but it popped at 8 am this morning. I'm not sure I do anything ahead of tomorrow's NFP which I will miss too
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1118 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
Completion of a number of transactions has left me with a bit of cash:

-OneREIT (ONR.UN-T), shares tendered from plan of arrangement with Smart Reit. 3 year holding, with dividends dripped. IRR, annualized: 8%.
-Veresen (VSN-T), shares tendered from Pembina buyout. 9 year holding with dividends dripped. IRR 19%.
- Pure Industrial Reit (AAR.UN-T). After nice 3 yr run watching yield drop from 7 to 4.5% due to cap appreciation, cut this one lose with no indication of any dividend growth (existing or planned) or catalyst for further appreciation. 3.5 year holding with dividends dripped. IRR 22%.

Used cash to buy some EMA, CJR.b, PPL (by plan of arrangement). Looking at SRU.UN, REI.UN.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1515 posts
75 upvotes
Kanata
STP123 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 9:58 am
Completion of a number of transactions has left me with a bit of cash:

-OneREIT (ONR.UN-T), shares tendered from plan of arrangement with Smart Reit. 3 year holding, with dividends dripped. IRR, annualized: 8%.
-Veresen (VSN-T), shares tendered from Pembina buyout. 9 year holding with dividends dripped. IRR 19%.
- Pure Industrial Reit (AAR.UN-T). After nice 3 yr run watching yield drop from 7 to 4.5% due to cap appreciation, cut this one lose with no indication of any dividend growth (existing or planned) or catalyst for further appreciation. 3.5 year holding with dividends dripped. IRR 22%.

Used cash to buy some EMA, CJR.b, PPL (by plan of arrangement). Looking at SRU.UN, REI.UN.
For CJR.B, their payout ratio vs. operating cash flow seems high. Fastgraph shows dividend of 1.14 vs. OCF of 1.52 for 2016, about 76%. Wonder how sustainable that is going forward ? Dividend yield very enticing but a bit concerned about profitability and long term. Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1118 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
sfrancis wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 10:14 am
For CJR.B, their payout ratio vs. operating cash flow seems high. Fastgraph shows dividend of 1.14 vs. OCF of 1.52 for 2016, about 76%. Wonder how sustainable that is going forward ? Dividend yield very enticing but a bit concerned about profitability and long term. Thanks.
The 2016 Shaw Media acquisition early 2016 appears to be working as planned. That was the issue I was concerned about. Reading analyst projections, FCF will be around $357 million in 2018. Declared dividends will be approx $236 mill, but $59 mill will come from the drip plan, so net $177 mill from FCF. Therefore, enough to sustain the high dividend. I don't expect much dividend growth going forward, but at 8%+ yield, not an issue for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
3969 posts
845 upvotes
Thornhill
Watching Navient Corp (NASDAQ:NAVI) for new position in long-term portfolio. Doing some research before deciding.

--

Too big to fail and dividend payout is safe. Waiting for it to hit a new low first but will be adding 100% when it happens.
Last edited by Jeenyus1 on Oct 5th, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
9915 posts
876 upvotes
Markham
Bought MNKD today for a trade. Major short squeeze. Wish I had got in yesterday but still in the $.

Edit: Quite the drop after the run. Glad I had a stop in place on this one. Out.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)